Turn on thread page Beta

*MEGATHREAD* - The Official 2014 Medicine Interview Preparation Thread watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Secret.)
    To anyone that has the new interview book by ISCMedical is it the same as the old one?
    Does it still have the same 150ish questions but Includes a section on MMI?
    I think its updated in terms of changes to laws and NHS. I'd recommend it. It includes a section on MMI

ReputationRep:
    Found a brilliant tool on the GMCs website.
    Has interactive scenarios for loads of characters like the SJT and it explains all the answers and referrences GMC guidlines.
    It's got all the typical interview ones like disclosing HIV status etc.

http://www.gmc-uk.org/gmpinaction/characters/

Definitely worth a look through

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SimpsP)
    Has interactive scenarios for loads of characters like the SJT and it explains all the answers and referrences GMC guidlines.

This looks great, thanks for sharing!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SimpsP)

literally just found this! Its brilliant! GMC's website is very useful!

ReputationRep:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UST26RjBXvo
    Haha good laugh, 'youth in asia'

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,
    can anyone link me to a good website for NHS info?

Ie. history, reforms , cuts and issues with the NHS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by star10159)
    Hey guys,
    can anyone link me to a good website for NHS info?

Ie. history, reforms , cuts and issues with the NHS.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-12177084
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-19674838
    The BBC has some great stuff on explaining the reforms

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prafto)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-12177084
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-19674838
    The BBC has some great stuff on explaining the reforms
    Thanks for that

Could you explain how the private sector is being introduced in the NHS it is kind of confusing me. Is the NHS paying private companies to do certain services in the NHS and why so? All I can think of is so that it relieves stress on NHS staff because there is a lot of work for lack of staff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raveen789)
    Thanks for that

Could you explain how the private sector is being introduced in the NHS it is kind of confusing me. Is the NHS paying private companies to do certain services in the NHS and why so? All I can think of is so that it relieves stress on NHS staff because there is a lot of work for lack of staff
    Very simply, now NHS services can be offered by any 'willing provider' including private companies, so they will all put in bids, and the CCG's will choose the 'best provider' This could bring benefit to patients, giving them more freedom of choice, and the best possible treatment options.

But the main concern is the idea of cherry-picking. Will private providers choose to treat patients based on need or potential return on investment value? By cherry picking, providers can avoid potentially risky patients whose conditions have the potential to raise further complications thereby raising the total cost of treatment. The responsibility of treating such cases will ultimately fall on the NHS who will have to shoulder the high costs, those with serious conditions may be ignore by private companies and will have to rely on the NHS (longer waiting times, rationing etc) It's ultimately creating a two-tier healthcare system, where the best healthcare is wonderful and the worst health care is awful.. just look at the US.
    Hope this answers your question!! Please let me know if you need anything else clarifying

ReputationRep:
    Anybody applying to Leeds, what where your initial rankings? Mine was 1 for academic and 2 for aptitude

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maryamnc)
    Anybody applying to Leeds, what where your initial rankings? Mine was 1 for academic and 2 for aptitude

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This is an interview preparation thread...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prafto)
    Very simply, now NHS services can be offered by any 'willing provider' including private companies, so they will all put in bids, and the CCG's will choose the 'best provider' This could bring benefit to patients, giving them more freedom of choice, and the best possible treatment options.

But the main concern is the idea of cherry-picking. Will private providers choose to treat patients based on need or potential return on investment value? By cherry picking, providers can avoid potentially risky patients whose conditions have the potential to raise further complications thereby raising the total cost of treatment. The responsibility of treating such cases will ultimately fall on the NHS who will have to shoulder the high costs, those with serious conditions may be ignore by private companies and will have to rely on the NHS (longer waiting times, rationing etc) It's ultimately creating a two-tier healthcare system, where the best healthcare is wonderful and the worst health care is awful.. just look at the US.
    Hope this answers your question!! Please let me know if you need anything else clarifying
    Thanks again! What I'm still unsure of is why the NHS wants private contractors and them being still under the NHS. In the US don't you have private healthcare insurance which is paid by you or your boss, so then you go out and pay for treatment. But in the UK the private sector is still under the NHS right? So patients still don't have to pay anything upfront so they still receive care from the private sector unless they may be cherry picked as you say.

My other question is concerning money. So now we know that the commissioning groups will be in charge of the NHS budget but how do they exactly buy private treatment and why will there be competition between certain providers to gain the contract?

I'm really oblivious to all the NHS side of things so sorry to sound dumb :P in a scenario all I can think of is the NHS saying we will give you a £500m contract to do X service for us and if it works like that how do the private companies make their profit? Like what's in it for them?

Thanks again

ReputationRep:
    Thanks again! What I'm still unsure of is why the NHS wants private contractors and them being still under the NHS. In the US don't you have private healthcare insurance which is paid by you or your boss, so then you go out and pay for treatment. But in the UK the private sector is still under the NHS right? So patients still don't have to pay anything upfront so they still receive care from the private sector unless they may be cherry picked as you say.

My other question is concerning money. So now we know that the commissioning groups will be in charge of the NHS budget but how do they exactly buy private treatment and why will there be competition between certain providers to gain the contract?

I'm really oblivious to all the NHS side of things so sorry to sound dumb :P in a scenario all I can think of is the NHS saying we will give you a £500m contract to do X service for us and if it works like that how do the private companies make their profit? Like what's in it for them?

Thanks again
    It's all about cost-cutting, essentially.
    In those NHS hospitals that have been taken over by private contractors, the care still comes under the NHS, the staff are still employed under the NHS but day-to-day management is sorted out by the company. 'Private' hospitals are different in that you need either health insurance or pay out of your own pocket for treatment (different to NHS hospitals run by private contractors).

One of my local hospitals, Hinchingbrooke, was the first in the UK to be taken over by a private firm (Circle) on a 10-year deal.
    I believe that the hospital had run up massive debts (£40 million?) and there were talks of it potentially closing down.
    I am no expert, so someone please feel free to correct me if any points are wrong, but I believe that the NHS pays for the private contractor and then the private contractor runs the hospital with mind to reducing the debt (so they take over the budget of the hospital). If they end up making a surplus, they keep x amount of the surplus (I think it's something like they get the first £2million and fractions of any surplus over that), but they don't make any money unless a surplus is achieved.

Some articles about it:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-15436685
    http://www.bmj.com/content/345/bmj.e7590
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/he...-Hospital.html

Of course, there are pros / cons to this set-up that I doubt need to be pointed out.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys! Just wanted to ask what would be the best way to prepare for mmi interviews at manchester. My interview is soon so kinda stressed out!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    For 'why medicine?', I want to say something about my curiosity and interest in medical science, but I don't know how to phrase it without sounding corny or trite. Basically I read absolutely every medical book I can get my hands on, and I read about all of the conditions and operations that we deal with at work (I work on a day surgery unit).

Would it work saying that other people have noted how curious I am? Or would it suffice just coming out and stating it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TattyBoJangles)
    It's all about cost-cutting, essentially.
    In those NHS hospitals that have been taken over by private contractors, the care still comes under the NHS, the staff are still employed under the NHS but day-to-day management is sorted out by the company. 'Private' hospitals are different in that you need either health insurance or pay out of your own pocket for treatment (different to NHS hospitals run by private contractors).

One of my local hospitals, Hinchingbrooke, was the first in the UK to be taken over by a private firm (Circle) on a 10-year deal.
    I believe that the hospital had run up massive debts (£40 million?) and there were talks of it potentially closing down.
    I am no expert, so someone please feel free to correct me if any points are wrong, but I believe that the NHS pays for the private contractor and then the private contractor runs the hospital with mind to reducing the debt (so they take over the budget of the hospital). If they end up making a surplus, they keep x amount of the surplus (I think it's something like they get the first £2million and fractions of any surplus over that), but they don't make any money unless a surplus is achieved.

Some articles about it:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-15436685
    http://www.bmj.com/content/345/bmj.e7590
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/he...-Hospital.html

Of course, there are pros / cons to this set-up that I doubt need to be pointed out.
    Oh right so say they got a 500m contract but only spent 400 of it for example in a year, they get to keep the difference and then are given another amount for another period of time?

ReputationRep:
    Oh right so say they got a 500m contract but only spent 400 of it for example in a year, they get to keep the difference and then are given another amount for another period of time?
    I think there's a limit on how much they can keep eg with Hinchingbrooke I believe they can keep up to £2 million surplus but any over that has to go towards paying off the debt.

ReputationRep:
    what is everyone's views on GPs now having 60-80% of the NHS budget to buy services for their patients? Anyone for? Anyone against?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TattyBoJangles)
    I think there's a limit on how much they can keep eg with Hinchingbrooke I believe they can keep up to £2 million surplus but any over that has to go towards paying off the debt.
    There is a limit, but it says they can keep the first £2m, a quarter of £2m-£6m and a third of £6m - £10m and anything above that must be used to pay towards the debt. However it sounds like if they were not in debt then they can make potentially more then that!

However what Im confused about is that I am reading this article: http://www.theguardian.com/society/2...sector-doctors

and it says that "AQP was intended to let small, local private firms become NHS providers. But 24 of the 105 were large companies, with at least 250 staff, and the other 81 were small or medium-sized enterprises, with fewer than 250 staff, according to Dr Leonid Shapiro, the managing partner at healthcare consultants Candesic, who obtained the figures when the Department of Health allowed him to view its AQP database."
    so does that mean that they will have their own staff of healthcare providers like doctors or nurses or will it be administrative staff/management staff and the healthcare staff still ultimately working for the NHS.

Im working on trying to develop some pros and cons in case I get asked for private contractors :P

Thanks for all the help again

ReputationRep:
    Guys i have an interview bext werk and i am freakin out . Been trying to prepare but sont know where to begin with the science question as i stupidly mentioned breast cancer, atrial fibrilation , end stage renal disease and limb amputation and not to mention my reaearch whixh is on schizophrenia ,alzhimers and pd. can anyone help as this is hell of a lot to prepare and i cant remwber anything ? Any sumaary pages for thaea will be helpful

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 31, 2015

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.