Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wisefire)
    Do you mean corporate law lawyers with 3-5 years of experience/aged <30, earning 80/90k? Or do you mean senior ones? If not 125k for the conversion course > junior ones, how many years of experience would you need to firmly be within 6 figures? I might consider doing a law conversion course to get into corporate law if I fail to get into banking (hopefully having done an economics degree from a top 10 uni, if not banking target), I might consider doing a law conversion course to get into corporate law, instead of finance... I'm quite good/passionate about expressing my opinions; at least, I'm articulate, to an extent.
    I'm pretty sure, someone will correct me if I'm wrong here, that it's harder to get into top law jobs than it is banking.

Speaking of how ambitious you are, what did you get in your AS results? (I'm assuming you've just done your AS-Levels).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noble.)
    I'm pretty sure, someone will correct me if I'm wrong here, that it's harder to get into top law jobs than it is banking.

Speaking of how ambitious you are, what did you get in your AS results? (I'm assuming you've just done your AS-Levels).
    Both law and investment banking are competitive and difficult to get into.

What would be difficult is pursuing a career in IB and then if you failed easily transitioning into a career in law. Recruiters would question the person's motivation as you couldn't really get two more different careers in the city.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    Both law and investment banking are competitive and difficult to get into.

What would be difficult is pursuing a career in IB and then if you failed easily transitioning into a career in law. Recruiters would question the person's motivation as you couldn't really get two more different careers in the city.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks for clarifying. I was always under the impression top law jobs were more competitive than front-office banking (for no real rigorous reason).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wisefire)
    If you're not earning 125k+ as a junior one/after your conversion course, how many years of experience would you need to firmly be within 6 figures?
    US law firms with offices in London pay at the top end of the market. At least one pays £100k on qualification. For most though it would take about 3 years post qualification to earn £100k and that's with a bonus and if you are doing very well.

As per my previous post, it isn't easy pursuing a career in law, especially if it's clear from your CV that IB is what you really wanted and attempted to do. They are very different careers, the salary is about the only similarity between the two.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for clarifying. I was always under the impression top law jobs were more competitive than front-office banking (for no real rigorous reason).
    Depends on the market. The banks' recruitment numbers fluctuate so much depending on what's going on in the market. In buoyant times, law is probably more competitive, in a recession banking would be.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Not good enough to make me credible or worthy of anything, if you want to call it that. I got ABDE, out of very little revision. Truly, very little. I realised how foolish I had been towards the end of the AS', and honestly, this summer my attitude's changed. I don't want to become a mind, an active mind, going mental as I grow older, over all of my past mistakes (i.e. screwing up my education and thus earning potential, employee-wise). I don't want to become talent that refused to make use of it/refused to work hard. I've changed. I'm starting work now, towards the AS retakes and A2s. I'm frankly in a very wretched/depressed state, and I know I've got to improve. I'm just getting ideas/an education of sorts from TSR; that's why I'm on here. Please don't think of me as some naive, geeky, talkative git who doesn't appreciate what he has to do to achieve what he wants. I get it (that next year is basically my last chance)...

ReputationRep:
    Please; all of you so certain you'll be on 50k within 3 years.. I beg of you: come back in a few years and show us your P60

ReputationRep:
    Well since I aspire to be a journalist/writer I'll probably be looking at a 18k-20k starting salary, which will probably rise up to 24-26k with about five years experience.

And if journalism doesn't work out then I'd be interested in going into politics, which can rise up to 40-50k.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Grimbo)
    Well since I aspire to be a journalist/writer I'll probably be looking at a 18k-20k starting salary, which will probably rise up to 24-26k with about five years experience.

And if journalism doesn't work out then I'd be interested in going into politics, which can rise up to 40-50k.
    Nice profile picture.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    Please; all of you so certain you'll be on 50k within 3 years.. I beg of you: come back in a few years and show us your P60
    Is 50 within one year good enough? I'm not posting my P60 here though...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crazy92)
    When you post on a student forum about your salary to boost your ego, we know you must have an eenie weenie.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by compliance1)
    This is in Compliance - Starting salaries are mixed as it depends on what experience you have got prior to graduation I started on £40k moved up to £95k in 6 months. If you know the industry and get broad exposure in the long term there aren't many limits to how much you earn. Compliance Officers are up there amongst the highest earning individuals.
    I'm sorry, are you saying you were earning 95k in a compliance role 6 months out of university? Link me to that job - I wants it...

ReputationRep:
    Sure, why not? You can filter out anything personally identifiable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    Sure, why not? You can filter out anything personally identifiable.
    Because I can't be bothered to be honest.

I also don't want to disclose any base/bonus salary split.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1011)
    When you post on a student forum about your salary to boost your ego, we know you must have an eenie weenie.
    My salary doesn't boost my ego.

Incase you have missed this thread title, it's about salaries. If you don't want to see people posting information regarding this, go to a different thread.

Don't be mad cause you ain't on 50k bro. Ain't cool.

ReputationRep:
    My salary doesn't boost my ego.

Incase you have missed this thread title, it's about salaries. If you don't want to see people posting information regarding this, go to a different thread.

Don't be mad cause you ain't on 50k bro. Ain't cool.
    Oh no look, you did it again! Must be a microphallus.

ReputationRep:
    Veterinary Nursing - 20-25k. It isn't just about money for me so i don't mind!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1011)
    Oh no look, you did it again! Must be a microphallus.
    Well at least I can use the excess cash to spend on surgery

ReputationRep:
    I want to earn at least 50k working in neuroscience
    Maybe more

ReputationRep:
    Because I can't be bothered to be honest.

I also don't want to disclose any base/bonus salary split.
    Chicken.

Reue already has.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.