Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RowanL)
    Well you need to know which digits are left so I'm not sure how you can do it without. How would you propose solving it?
    Just bear in mind that the day and month can't change on a birthday. Given that 1974 and 1983 (so 1, 3, 4, 7, 8, 9) are already taken, remember that days must begin in either 0, 1, 2, 3 and that months must begin with either 0 or 1. That doesn't leave many combinations. 1 and 3 is not possible, and the month must have either 0 or 1. Since 1 is used up, the month must begin with 0. This leaves 2 for the day (in the twenties.)

So the outline we have now is 2X 0Y 1974 and 2X 0Y 1983.

The remaining digits available in both are 5 and 6. So if we say it's 26 05 1974 and 26 05 1983, then the difference in the years is 9 - the difference between the remaining digits must equal 9. The remaining digits in 1974 are 8 and 3 (either 38 or 83) and in 1983 it's 4 and 7 (47 or 74.). The difference cannot be -9, so it must be 1983-47 = 1936, D.

ReputationRep:
    So, last minute tips:

Multiple Choice:
    Keep calm
    Manage your time
    RTFQ

Essays:
    Answer the question
    Don't sit on the fence

anything else to add?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samthemiller)
    So, last minute tips:

Multiple Choice:
    Keep calm
    Manage your time
    RTFQ

Essays:
    Answer the question
    Don't sit on the fence

anything else to add?
    For me it really works to start with one type of question and finish with the other one in the MC part. So I first do all the critical thinking questions and afterwards I start on the problem solving questions.
    What does RTFQ mean btw?

ReputationRep:
    CAN ANYONE HELP PLEASE!! WILL BE MUCH APPRECIATED!

Hi guys,

Can anyone please provide a brief essay plan structure for the paragraphs tomorrow for section 2. As in what to include in intro and conclusion. and how many points we should have to support our view or when offering the opposing view.

Many thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adriaan)
    For me it really works to start with one type of question and finish with the other one in the MC part. So I first do all the critical thinking questions and afterwards I start on the problem solving questions.
    What does RTFQ mean btw?
    Read the f***ing question
    Read the full question if you're feeling a bit white bread

Never found that system worked for me on practices, I kept missing stuff

ReputationRep:
    Any feedback would be appreciated, I did this timed.

When, if ever, is forgiveness wrong?

Do some actions seem too immoral and wrong to ever be forgiven? Yes. Is this inability to overlook wrongdoings beneficial to individuals or society as a whole? No. In this essay, I will define the term “wrong” and given the purpose of forgiveness will attempt to explain why forgiveness is not wrong. To not forgive is to remain in conflict which, in the interconnected world we are living in, only causes problems.
    When is forgiveness wrong? Forgiveness is “wrong” when the consequences of overlooking the action worsen the situation. To limit the scope of the question, I am going to consider the purpose of forgiveness. We forgive one another for the sake of maintaining a relationship, be it social, economic or political. Therefore, forgiveness would be wrong when the consequences of ending a relationship worsen the situation.
    Many people would claim that forgiveness is a fundamental weakness. To overlook a wrongdoing is to belittle ourselves and encourage further mistreatment. Hasn’t history taught us that forgiveness can be wrong? In 1920, Lloyd George and Clemenceau decided to forgive a series of wrongdoings. Hitler was allowed to re-arm the Rhineland which went against the Treaty of Versailles. What was the result of forgiveness? It led to further wrong doing and finally the longest and bloodiest war in history. It could be certainly argued that history has taught us not to forgive other countries’ wrong doings. To forgive an action is only a short term solution and it is wrong because the consequences of forgiveness do actually serve to worsen the situation. However, is this really the case, or was it that delayed forgiveness created these consequences?
    Let us re-consider the war example. Why did Hitler re-arm the Rhineland? It could just as easily and persuasively be argued that these actions were a re-action to an inability to forgive. The conditions of the Treaty of Versailles were very harsh indeed.Hyperinflation and general economic downturn in Germany led to a rise in extremism. All the events after the Treaty of Versailles could be led back to an inability to forgive. An inability to forgive only creates resentment and is therefore wrong because it worsens a situation. The reaction to an unwillingness to co-operate is usually a willingness to be hostile. We are living in the age of globalisation. The economy is more interconnected than ever before and stability in most countries relies on international cooperation. We do not need to look far to see the disastrous economic and humanitarian consequences of global conflict.
    I hope to have demonstrated that, given the purpose of forgiveness, and the definition of “wrong”, forgiveness is always preferable to remaining in a state of conflict. To not forgive serves only to worsen a situation and therefore is wrong. The sooner people start to realise this, the sooner we can begin to put international conflicts and ideological differences behind us and deal with the inequalities and challenges of this world.

ReputationRep:
    Read the f***ing question
    Read the full question if you're feeling a bit white bread

Never found that system worked for me on practices, I kept missing stuff
    Ah okey thanks, RTFQ is indeed good advice then.
    In that case you definitely should not do it, for me not having to switch between text based thinking and math based thinking really helps to finish the critical thinking questions earlier and therewith have more time left for the problem solving questions which I find to be tougher.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JaiGuruji)
    CAN ANYONE HELP PLEASE!! WILL BE MUCH APPRECIATED!

Hi guys,

Can anyone please provide a brief essay plan structure for the paragraphs tomorrow for section 2. As in what to include in intro and conclusion. and how many points we should have to support our view or when offering the opposing view.

Many thanks in advance.
    Intro - maybe talk about what you're going to elaborate on, basic knowledge about the topic and such
    Argument - against or for it's not that important
    Argument - the other one
    Argument? - if you have something extra to talk about
    Conclusion - put your opinion in it and make sure you answer the question

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stacyersh)
    WHAT??? I just thought we need to go to the exam centre with our UCAS personal ID... Nobody told me I needed to register, are you sure about this?
    As far as I know you have to register in order to take it, they give you a candidate number. I do not live in the UK however, so maybe the procedure there is different from here. I'd look it up if were you!

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have some basic maths I should go over? Done percentage changes, ratio, trig, geometry etc. I struggle on the types of questions which give you a table of matches played and ask you to work out the missing score or something..

Also, has anyone heard anything definitive about the weight of TSA in the overall application? I've seem so many different opinions online about how Oxford famously don't care about PS' and put everything on getting a TSA of >61/65/70 but at the UCAS fair this June the lady on the stall told me that if your PS, Ref and GCSE grades are strong, and your TSA is weak then it doesn't matter so much as they look at the overall strength of the application instead of focussing on one particular part. I've also heard different admission tutors place different amounts of weight on it; some think it's useless and others find it a very reliable predictor of potential etc.

When people say you need a score of 65+ are you talking about % or the score conversion, as the two are different.

Finally, a teacher at school who used to work in admissions at Ox told us that they only send your essay to be read and assessed by an admissions tutor if your section 1 is considered strong enough, so there is also a possibility that your essay won't be used, apparently. Stresses me out as section 2 is by far my strongest as well

Also, good luck to everyone tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    WHAT??? I just thought we need to go to the exam centre with our UCAS personal ID... Nobody told me I needed to register, are you sure about this?
    Yes, you had to register around the same time that the application deadline was.. Something like 20th Sept? You should have got an email from Oxford Admissions after you submitted your application reminding you to check that you'd been registered. You have a specific TSA candidate number and everything which is different to the one used for normal exams.

ReputationRep:
    As far as I know you have to register in order to take it, they give you a candidate number. I do not live in the UK however, so maybe the procedure there is different from here. I'd look it up if were you!
    You definitely should've registered to take it before the 20th october? I had to go speak to the exams officer at my sixth form.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MsLoreleiLee)
    Yes, you had to register around the same time that the application deadline was.. Something like 20th Sept? You should have got an email from Oxford Admissions after you submitted your application reminding you to check that you'd been registered. You have a specific TSA candidate number and everything which is different to the one used for normal exams.
    I go to an English school in Italy. Having read your replies, I called them and turns out they forgot to register me... The email address l I gave on my UCAS was on the school's server which has crashed several times during the last few weeks so I guess the email may have been lost. I don't know what to do now, going to Oxford was my dream... Anyway thanks for your help and advice!

ReputationRep:
    I am applying for psychology any idea of what a good score for interview would be? good luck tomorrow everyone

ReputationRep:
    I go to an English school in Italy. Having read your replies, I called them and turns out they forgot to register me... The email address l I gave on my UCAS was on the school's server which has crashed several times during the last few weeks so I guess the email may have been lost. I don't know what to do now, going to Oxford was my dream... Anyway thanks for your help and advice!
    don't give up, claim extenuating circumstances and they may agree to let you do it on a later date? don't give up yet seriously

ReputationRep:
    Guys please can someone give me a little bit of feedback on my essay

ReputationRep:
    don't give up, claim extenuating circumstances and they may agree to let you do it on a later date? don't give up yet seriously
    Do you think I should try calling Oxford now? Although I think it may be too late...

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know what score a candidate would be expected to get on average? Wikipedia mentions 58 points, but I've read people have received offers with points in the low 50's?
    Any help would be welcome.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Do you think I should try calling Oxford now? Although I think it may be too late...
    yes, definitely!!!

It's not your fault at all. Although I might suggest calling them at a more reasonable time?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kevalchavda)
    Does anyone know what score a candidate would be expected to get on average? Wikipedia mentions 58 points, but I've read people have received offers with points in the low 50's?
    Any help would be welcome.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It just depends on your whole application, does it not? Most successful candidates have scores of 70? Or have I made that up?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.