The Student Room Group

Speech & Language Therapy 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 600
Original post by Chipperpipper
There are 8 mature students (a few but not all with previous undergrads). The rest are college leavers, a few have had a year out. I don't think it's about preferring mature students per se. Mature students have been on the planet, accumulating experience, for longer!

8 out of 20? That's not bad! I'm curious, could you tell me what sort of experience the ones without previous undergrad degrees have?
And I agree with what you say about 'mature' students just having had more time to gain experience, and experience is invaluable for this profession. So is a certain degree of maturity, though, which everyone obviously reaches at a different age. I personally don't think I was 'mature' enough to be a health care professional at 22, but others might be 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 601
Hi everyone I can't believe I've only just found this thread!!! I have a written interview at the University of Manchester on Wednesday!!! Has anyone got any tips? I have no idea the kind of things they will ask, I'm so nervous. I'm guessing they will ask what's the difference between speech and language, and why manchester and why do i want to be a SLT. But does anyone know any specifics they might hit me with?!!! Eeek thank you :colondollar: x
Reply 602
Original post by nesca89
I'm there on Wednesday next week, where they bad? Are they speech therapy based? Haha

Goodness me I hope they aren't too bad :frown:
Reply 603
Original post by grosef
Hi everyone I can't believe I've only just found this thread!!! I have a written interview at the University of Manchester on Wednesday!!! Has anyone got any tips? I have no idea the kind of things they will ask, I'm so nervous. I'm guessing they will ask what's the difference between speech and language, and why manchester and why do i want to be a SLT. But does anyone know any specifics they might hit me with?!!! Eeek thank you :colondollar: x

This sounds worse than I meant it haha.. obviously it would be cheating to say what was actually on the interview. I just meant can anyone give me any advice on what the day is like? and WHAT SHOULD I WEAR
Original post by grosef

That's great! when did you apply and when did they get back to you? I'm still waiting to hear from Manchester I'm getting worried it's been three weeks, my friend has the written interview at Manchester on Wednesday
good luck!
why do i have a feeling that they will ask something about the NHS? :confused:
has this happened before by any chance? :/
Hey, just giving this thread a bump :bump: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific university or course forum should help you get more responses. :yy:

If you haven’t already found it, then university connect is a really useful way for finding people at your course/university! You can also find a list of applicant threads and courses here. :h:
Original post by grosef
This sounds worse than I meant it haha.. obviously it would be cheating to say what was actually on the interview. I just meant can anyone give me any advice on what the day is like? and WHAT SHOULD I WEAR

For interviews for healthcare roles I have always dressed smart-casual - a plain dark skirt or pair of trousers, with a blouse/shirt in a solid colour. Nothing too formal or fancy. Choose something you'll feel comfortable in.
Original post by grosef
Goodness me I hope they aren't too bad :frown:

The questions weren't bad last year, just do your research :smile: everyone has worn dark trousers or skirt with a nice top. Some girl turned up in blue jeans as well lol. So I wouldn't worry too much about that. Good luck, I'll see you Wednesday!
Is anyone else wondering when on earth we are going to hear from leeds!? I feel like it's been ages.
Original post by nesca89
Is anyone else wondering when on earth we are going to hear from leeds!? I feel like it's been ages.

If it's like last year the first invites didn't come until early Jan - about the 6th I think.

Good luck for Manchester on Wednesday.
Reply 611
Has anybody heard anything from Sheffield?
Original post by AmyPilot
If it's like last year the first invites didn't come until early Jan - about the 6th I think.

Good luck for Manchester on Wednesday.

Oh well hopefully I'll have my successful from Manchester by then haha. Thank you :smile: I hope the weather won't be too bad or the trains will be a nightmare!
Original post by grosef

Yeah I think a few people have, I got offered an interview for this week but rearranged it for January
Original post by nesca89
Oh well hopefully I'll have my successful from Manchester by then haha. Thank you :smile: I hope the weather won't be too bad or the trains will be a nightmare!

Yeah weather looks a bit dodgy (very windy it says) - will keep fingers crossed for you!

Last year I was invited to Leeds 1st interview date but had to rearrange until early Feb as it was same date I went to MMU (so it was 22 Jan). By time I went to Leeds I had 2 offers from MMU which was a relief - but Leeds was good really got a good vibe there.
Original post by AmyPilot
Yeah weather looks a bit dodgy (very windy it says) - will keep fingers crossed for you!

Last year I was invited to Leeds 1st interview date but had to rearrange until early Feb as it was same date I went to MMU (so it was 22 Jan). By time I went to Leeds I had 2 offers from MMU which was a relief - but Leeds was good really got a good vibe there.

Yeah Leeds would be my choice after both Manchester ones :smile: hopefully I'll be spoilt for choice anyway haha
Original post by nesca89
Yeah Leeds would be my choice after both Manchester ones :smile: hopefully I'll be spoilt for choice anyway haha

I will be checking everyones progress- really keen to hear about Sheffield interviews so make sure you comment on that one - that was the oddest one I attended last year.
Reply 617
Has anyone heard back from Reading yet for SLT?! I had a right nightmare with my application my tutor attached someone else' reference but a second one got sent off and I've heard back from Marjon and DMU just waiting from Reading but i'm starting to get worried now :frown:
Reply 618
Original post by grosef

Yes, a few people got interviews for December, think there was one today in fact, and January. I got invited for interviews for both undergraduate and postgraduate in Sheffield.

Posted from TSR Mobile
When did you send your application off? It took Reading at least 2/3 weeks to get back to me - a little while longer than it took Marjon!
And try not to stress - you're sure to hear back off them soon! Just remember (like I was told when I was worrying about not hearing back from them) they're a popular uni, so they have a lot of applications to process!

Good luck, I'm sure you'll be fine! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest