Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hassyrocks)
    is this graduate entry course who can afford to pay the fees themselves and there is no help from govt. and the student finance? how people could manage paying 10000£ a year? without loans . isn't this really expensive?
    You're eligible for maintenance loans from SFE and also half your tuition fees. From 2nd year onwards you can apply for an NHS grant to cover the second half of your fees.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liam__)
    Whats the point of doing a PGCE if you want to do medicine?

Your poor school academics won't limit you, but your 2:ii will. Research carefully where will accept you (there's only a few places that will).

Definitely try and organise some long-term caring experience. Care homes, as you alluded to, are good places for this.

Have you shadowed any doctors? Do you know what the job entails? Definitely try and get some shadowing done if you haven't already, it gives you a decent feel of the day to day life of a dr.

Also, why all the constant career path changes? CS, law, teaching, now medicine? Make sure you have a good answer for this when interviews come around.

Start revising for the GAMSAT asap.

Other than that, best of luck to you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks for the advice!

I am completing my PGCE as it means I get my scholarship award (£25k), and it also provides me with a fall back plan if this fails!

The 2:ii definitely limits me, as it means I am only able to apply to St. George's and Nottingham.

I'm in correspondence with care homes at the moment, trying to work out the details, so fingers crossed on that front!

Thus far, I haven't spent any time shadowing doctors, but I will be in contact with several surgeons as well as GP's in the coming days.

I thought the career changes my come back to bite me one day! I chose computer science initially so that I could study artificial intelligence (huge fascination with the brain). When I returned from travelling, the job in the school was the first offered to me, and I needed to recoup some funds urgently! I began teaching because the school was in dire need of the help, and my computer science degree made me the perfect person to help (plus it came with a raise). The aforementioned scholarship is not only huge financially, but in both teaching industry and the computer science industry is incredibly valuable. Studying law was more of a curiosity quencher than anything else. I was studying via distance learning so it was incredibly cheap, and gave me something else to put as a CV booster (or so I thought at the time)!

My GAMSAT prep has already begun, and fortunately, I have several great science teachers around to help me brush up my Chem and Bio!!

Good luck to all applying for 2016!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gazoula)
    Hi Dave,

If you are applying to GAMSAT unis that accept 2ii non science degrees - they will not actually look at your previous records of GCSE and A-Level results - but to be honest - you can confirm this with the Unis for an ease of mind (this was the feedback I got from Plymouth and Exeter for example although both are undergrad entry as they don't have GEM routes) - good luck with it all
    Thanks for that!! I have inquired at my only two options (St. George's and Notts) and am waiting to hear back from both!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d.holmes1)
    X
    Sounds like you're well motivated. I'm a CS grad myself (well, I will be in a month). It's great to have another on tsr applying this cycle!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hassyrocks)
    is this graduate entry course who can afford to pay the fees themselves and there is no help from govt. and the student finance? how people could manage paying 10000£ a year? without loans . isn't this really expensive?
    For the Graduate Entry course you fund the first £3500 (roughly) yourself and then the NHS funds the rest. You also get the standard maintenance loan of around £3k.

If you are applying to an undergraduate 5 year course as a graduate you pay for the tuition yourself.

Check the NHS website, TSR graduate medicine page and New media medicine for more info.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liam__)
    Sounds like you're well motivated. I'm a CS grad myself (well, I will be in a month). It's great to have another on tsr applying this cycle!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Nice! Where are you studying?

Yeah, it's good to know there are other people from a technical background (without a bio/chem component)!

ReputationRep:
    Nice! Where are you studying?

Yeah, it's good to know there are other people from a technical background (without a bio/chem component)!
    Notts! Hopefully making a return next year for GEM.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    if you have a 2:2 and a masters, Swansea will also take you.

Unsure if a PGCE counts that way mind you. Worth giving them a call though.

http://www.swansea.ac.uk/undergradua...ts=is-expanded

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lxh524)
    if you have a 2:2 and a masters, Swansea will also take you.

Unsure if a PGCE counts that way mind you. Worth giving them a call though.

http://www.swansea.ac.uk/undergradua...ts=is-expanded
    Yeah I had seen that. I know my PGCE contains master's components, but I don't think it constitutes an actual masters course. I will get in touch with them to double check though, so thanks for the reminder!

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone on here applying from/with a genetics degree?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ruth_glasgow)
    Is anyone on here applying from/with a genetics degree?
    I have a MSc in Medical and Molecular Mıcrobiology

ReputationRep:
    I have a MSc in Medical and Molecular Mıcrobiology
    Oh sweet, what was your undergrad degree in? I was just asking because I don't think I have come across any genetics students/grads on this thread but I'm sure there must be some considering GEM!

ReputationRep:
    Biological Sciences have you graduated some time ago or just about to? Goodluck with the whole process

ReputationRep:
    Biological Sciences have you graduated some time ago or just about to? Goodluck with the whole process
    I'm going to be applying in my third year to hopefully go straight in after graduation! Thanks, you too!

ReputationRep:
    How long do people think is needed for GAMSAT revision?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I've registered with UCAS, feels more real now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ebuwa)
    I've registered with UCAS, feels more real now.
    I've just done the same. Starting to hit home! Personal statement time now :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Had a dream last night that Osborne was announcing another budget today which included GEM funding! (can you tell I'm getting impatient?!)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    approximately how many hours should I spend on my UKCAT revision in order to get a high score?

ReputationRep:
    I've just done the same. Starting to hit home! Personal statement time now :confused:
    I know right. Plus I now I have to locate all my certificates.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.