Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nurav11)
    Yup exactly that, it's such a nice easy calculator to use. Had it since year 5 as well so it's trusted now . I'm really hoping for a matrices induction Q and easy roots stuff. They'll make or break how well I do really. Btw June 09 had 49 as the A boundary but it really wasn't that challenging... Very strange

100% agree, there's a satisfaction about getting a summing series question right or an induction question right, especially if it's a nice and long 7 marker.

Take it in! Honestly no one is going to say a thing, I know someone who's walking in with a huge graphic calculator that has a home screen... It's basically a computer. They are definitely allowed. The only thing that's not allowed is if it can do indefinite integration but that doesn't even apply to FP1 so you're fine

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm solid with the summing series stuff and induction (ignoring any awful divisibility ones). I don't particularly want any questions where you have to check if there are unique, infinite or no solutions, I somehow regularly screw up when trying to show the equations are consistent.

Anyway after last year's paper, it can only get better (right?)

Good luck to both of you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chloe-jessica)
    I never thought I'd say this but FP1 can be sort of rewarding when everything finally starts to make sense. Probably won't be saying that after the exam tomorrow, but for now at least. I wish I had the guts to just take this other calculator in but I'm too paranoid.
    Arrive early tomorrow morning and check with your exams officer/head of maths that it is OK to use. Best of luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abbie2511)
    It had to be in the form 5 to the power something, I got 5^(9/2)
    I got that also.

(Original post by marioman)
    Arrive early tomorrow morning and check with your exams officer/head of maths that it is OK to use. Best of luck
    Nobody is sure whether it's safe to use, I've asked and my maths department have written to the exam board but we always knew they wouldn't hear back in time. It's not really that useful for FP1, more C3 stuff. It'd probably take me half the exam time to figure out how to use it anyway haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HecTic_H)

1. 1) 4 + 4root3 [3]
    2) can't really describe the graph, if you know what y=1/x looks like then reflect in either axis. [2]
    Translation of 2 in x was -1/(x-2) [1]
    The translation they wanted you to state was a stretch of 1/3 in either axis. [2]
    3) 5^8 [1]
    5^(-1/4) [2]
    5^(9/2) [2]
    4) Disguised quadratic
    x = -8 and 27 [5?]5) Line AB = ? [2]
    Line was 6x-8y-29=0 [7]
    Kicking myself for the 7 mark question to find the equation of the tangent through points A and B! I somehow got the x and y coordinates the wrong way round so ended up with a completely different equation Really dumb mistake. How many marks do you guys think I will lose for it?

ReputationRep:
    xlog7 = (x+1)log2
    xlog7 = xlog2 + log2
    xlog7 - xlog2 =log2
    x(log7-log2) = log2
    x = log2/(log7-log2)

From where you have got up to I think this might be it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rich1334)
    I'm solid with the summing series stuff and induction (ignoring any awful divisibility ones). I don't particularly want any questions where you have to check if there are unique, infinite or no solutions, I somehow regularly screw up when trying to show the equations are consistent.

Anyway after last year's paper, it can only get better (right?)

Good luck to both of you!
    Yeh exactly the same as you, the unique, infinite or no solutions stuff is a little confusing to start with but fairly easy once you get it. But you just know when they have that question that it'll always be either infinite or no solutions and you just have to do some niggly algebra to find out. Best way I think to prove this is to find x in terms of something then sub it into the other equations and seeing if it makes sense. At least the equations are fairly simple.

Also, do you know if we ever have to 'let z=t' then find solutions for x,y and z in the form of some variable when there's infinite solutions?

And yes haha, I'm sure it will dw. Best of luck to you too!

ReputationRep:
    Kicking myself for the 7 mark question to find the equation of the tangent through points A and B! I somehow got the x and y coordinates the wrong way round so ended up with a completely different equation Really dumb mistake. How many marks do you guys think I will lose for it?
    Probably quite a few unfortunately, but as long as you used the correct processes, you should have at least picked a couple or so up!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rubberduckiller)
    Would u get Ecf if you work out a y co ordinate wrong then a answer using the wron points. Please help!!!
    I asked my maths teacher before the exam, and they said yes!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nurav11)
    Yeh exactly the same as you, the unique, infinite or no solutions stuff is a little confusing to start with but fairly easy once you get it. But you just know when they have that question that it'll always be either infinite or no solutions and you just have to do some niggly algebra to find out. Best way I think to prove this is to find x in terms of something then sub it into the other equations and seeing if it makes sense. At least the equations are fairly simple.

Also, do you know if we ever have to 'let z=t' then find solutions for x,y and z in the form of some variable when there's infinite solutions?

And yes haha, I'm sure it will dw. Best of luck to you too!
    Nope you just need to show the equations cancel so you get 0=0

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlistairMcDonald)
    Probably quite a few unfortunately, but as long as you used the correct processes, you should have at least picked a couple or so up!
    That's so annoying, it was a question that I could have and should have got right. Oh well! Let's say I lost 6 marks for it, do you know what 66/72 translates to in UMS?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thomasvamplew)
    I asked my maths teacher before the exam, and they said yes!
    thnx so does that mean ill get 2 or 3 marks

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone else get (4root3 - 4), as opposed to (4root3 + 4), for the first question?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C_Raptor)
    I got that too.
    What exactly was that question again? Can't quite remember!

ReputationRep:
    Okay, so I couldn't find another thread about this exam (feel free to direct me to it if I'm just really bad at looking) so I thought I'd create this.

Reminder - the OCR C1 exam is on Wednesday 13th May in the morning. It is a non calculator paper and lasts for 1h 30min. The paper will be marked out of 72.
    As guidance, the grade boundaries in the last two years were as follows:
    June 2013: A - 60, B - 54, C - 48, D - 43, E - 38.
    June 2014: A - 65, B - 59, C - 53, D - 47, E - 41.

Useful resources:
    Past papers back to January 2005 with all the mark schemes. Alternatively papers are on the OCR website.
    The specification can be found here (scroll to C1).
    Useful revision notes here.

Good luck everyone!

C2 thread here - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3320107
    Spoiler:
    Show
    UNOFFICIAL MARK SCHEME
    1) 4 + 4root3 [3]
    2) can't really describe the graph, if you know what y=1/x looks like then reflect in either axis. [2]
    Translation of 2 in x was -1/(x-2) [1]
    The translation they wanted you to state was a stretch of 1/3 in either axis. [2]
    3) 5^8 [1]
    5^(-1/4) [2]
    5^(9/2) [2]
    4) Disguised quadratic, x = -8 and 27 [5?]
    5) Line AB = ? [2]
    Line was 6x-8y-29=0 [7]
    5) differentiation - f'(x)=-3x^2+10x-3 [?]
    6) simultaneous equation - x=1, y=2 or x=14/3, y=-13/3 [5]
    7) differentiate x^(-1/3)? Should get out -1/48 when you put x in. [4]
    8) Draw the graph [4]
    X < -1, X > 3/2 for y=0 [2]
    k < - 25/8 [3]
    9) a=13 [5]
    Second derivative was positive therefore min point [2]?
    X=1/3 [2]?
    10) centre (5,-2) radius 5 [3]
    Prove tangent [5]
    Area of triangle = 40 [4]

Thank you to HecTic_H for being a babe and amending this, and also Renzhi10122 who remembered the function, that on it's own deserves 100 UMS.
    For Q5 (i) where AB=?, the answer is AB=5. [We also got to take away the paper on which I wrote the answers]
    Q6: instead of x=1, y=2 for your first answer; the correct answer is x=2, y=1. Just did the question again to make sure.
    Q7 has a part (i) for which the f'(x)= -3x^2+10x-3.
    Your answers seem correct otherwise

ReputationRep:
    I never thought I'd say this but FP1 can be sort of rewarding when everything finally starts to make sense. Probably won't be saying that after the exam tomorrow, but for now at least. I wish I had the guts to just take this other calculator in but I'm too paranoid.
    We had 3 months to learn all of fp1, so we resorted to 1 chapter a day (last year). At first I hated it but after a while when I FINALLY started to understand it, it became so interesting and i'd go as far as to say that it's the most interesting maths i've ever done and it really did fuel my interest for it further. Kind of took me back to gcse days when maths was so easy and fun and all I wanted to do...

And then I got a D in the fp1 exam cos the exam was balls up. Everyone else got Us and an E in my school.

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone remember 3iii? I can't remember the question or what I put as my answer so if someone could remember the question I can work out what I put XD thankyouu 😊

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renzhi10122)
    No sorry, but I don't think it's more than 3 for that part
    Ahh okay thank you!

ReputationRep:
    On the one with k (can't remember inequality) -25/8 I put about k not being equal to 0 and probably wrote an inequality about k being greater than 0 I think (no idea why!! Silly mistake and I panicked because it asked for a set of values) would I get penalised despite getting the right answer?

ReputationRep:
    Try going on p1 and see spoiler for all answers. I wrote my answers also on the question paper and we got to take ours away. Quite sure I only dropped 1 in the paper

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 19, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.