Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nosaucethanks)
    For the social policy question, I only wrote about The 1988 Education Reform Act and after. I didn't mention comprehensives, but I wrote a good 5-6 pages on most other things. Should that be okay? Do we have to mention absolutely everything or just a good few well-evaluated points?

What was the ACTUAL question?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by risteard)
    What was the ACTUAL question?
    Something along the lines of "Using the Item, assess the view that government policies aim to reduce inequality between social groups." But the Item referred only to 1988 onward. Also not sure if I used Item enough. Only quoted it about three times.

ReputationRep:
    I honestly think I failed now that ive read everyones answers

ReputationRep:
    If there are any teachers available as the two exams together are worth 150 unit 1=60
    Unit 2=90
    Please could you tell me what we would have to get out of 150 to get an A?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Something along the lines of "Using the Item, assess the view that government policies aim to reduce inequality between social groups." But the Item referred only to 1988 onward. Also not sure if I used Item enough. Only quoted it about three times.
    You don't really need to use the item. A good essay is a good essay with or without use of the item. Did you mention ethnic and gender focused policies? If not, you'll probably lose marks.

ReputationRep:
    That's a good answer
    Thank you! You've been a huge help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BOWE)
    Almost identical to my answers, so thanks for putting my mind at ease Apart from I said achieved status (is that similar to intrinsic rewards?) for the marxist question. How did you get on with Official statistics for the 20 marker? I took me while to get ideas going
    I think that would be right! I guess it's kind of similar to extrinsic but it's a different point, but it's definitely valid and correct!
    Disadvantages threw me off a bit as I think advantages would have been easier, but I basically made a few things up:
    Practical: may be hard to access them as if they're private the body might not give permission, may not be any appropriate ones available, and they might charge to use them? Lol I was desperate!
    Ethical: informed consent and might have to deceive them of the purpose in order to gain access, can't remember if I wrote about anonyminity or welfare or anything
    Theoretical: quantitative data so disliked by interpretivists as doesn't give explanations, lack validity as may be distorted by governments and also classifications change e.g definition of unemployment changed so comparisons can't be made, lack reliability over time due to the change of definition also

The fact you put similar answers to the others makes me feel better haha!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mkillerby)
    I think the Education 20 marker was to do with just class. I mean, there's nothing in the books I have on sociology about government policy and ethnicity or gender.

Overall it wasn't too bad. I think I did well on Education. I wrote about 2 pages for the Applied Methods question (Written questionnaires), which was ok.

The general research methods 20 marker was actually on the same topic as a prior essay I'd done so I was pleased at first. I found I didn't have as much to write as I wanted - came to just under 2 pages including intro and conclusion.

Hoping I got a low-ish A (Sociology isn't a hard subject), if not, my Family paper will probably pull it up.
    I thought that at first about the first 20 marker, but it clearly states 'social groups', you will certainly lose marks for not mentioning gender or ethnicity. I agree there are few policies, but you could perhaps talk about how a lack of policies in these areas have further worsened inequality?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mkillerby)
    I thought that was what snowballing meant, but wasn't show. Probably lost a few marks by not putting it down.

I did write down the definition of random sampling and hopefully they'll get me a mark for that.

Elsewhere I mentioned much of the
    same that you did.
    I only knew the research method short questions because I do psychology otherwise I wouldn't have had a clue! You'll still get 2 marks for random though so it's fine!

Good, that's reassuring haha!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrbeady9)
    You don't really need to use the item. A good essay is a good essay with or without use of the item. Did you mention ethnic and gender focused policies? If not, you'll probably lose marks.
    I brought ethnicity and gender up as evaluative points, but not as specific policies. How many points would that cost? But you think it's okay that I didn't mention before 1988?

ReputationRep:
    Well that was pretty simple, right?!

ReputationRep:
    Yep 1988 forwards. Sounds like you did okay

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BOWE)
    Thank you! You've been a huge help
    no worries, mate.

Same time same place next year?

ReputationRep:
    Yep 1988 forwards. Sounds like you did okay
    Awh, happy to hear. Thank you very much. You've been extremely helpful to everyone on this thread. Maybe I'll come across you on here again when I start struggling with my A2 revision for next month!

ReputationRep:
    Awh, happy to hear. Thank you very much. You've been extremely helpful to everyone on this thread. Maybe I'll come across you on here again when I start struggling with my A2 revision for next month!

Have i sent you my A2 stuff?

inbox me your email and i will send it.

anyone who covered tri partite given what you have said...that was a waste of time. its all the policies after 88 and how they were a suppossed attempt to reduce inequality but have actually reinforced it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemmax6x)
    I think that would be right! I guess it's kind of similar to extrinsic but it's a different point, but it's definitely valid and correct!
    Disadvantages threw me off a bit as I think advantages would have been easier, but I basically made a few things up:
    Practical: may be hard to access them as if they're private the body might not give permission, may not be any appropriate ones available, and they might charge to use them? Lol I was desperate!
    Ethical: informed consent and might have to deceive them of the purpose in order to gain access, can't remember if I wrote about anonyminity or welfare or anything
    Theoretical: quantitative data so disliked by interpretivists as doesn't give explanations, lack validity as may be distorted by governments and also classifications change e.g definition of unemployment changed so comparisons can't be made, lack reliability over time due to the change of definition also

The fact you put similar answers to the others makes me feel better haha!

Ah well done , I couldn't think of any ethical disadvantages! Wasn't sure how to evaluate without banging on about the advantages too much , only way I could really evaluate was 'but positivists see this as a good thing because' and 'a more significant disadvantage might have been ' . My answer again is pretty much the same as yours again though . Did manage to sneak in a Durkheim study when I eventually remembered towards the end, so that should undo some of the damage from forgetting ethical problems haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrbeady9)

not true. You MUST use the item.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BOWE)
    I spent waaaaay too long on this question, so definitely wouldn't need to include everything (I compromised the time on my other questions stupidly )
    I wrote about tripartite system (Education Act 1944) and the inequality of segregation, Comprehsive system 1965 (Ball and Douglas criticise streaming), Marketisation (Education Reform Act 1988) and the crits of formula funding /myth of parentocracy, and Bartlett's cream skimming/silt shifting. Labour 1997 compensatory education and contextual value added. Coalition 2010 academies and free schools. and mentioned gender (GIST , WISE) and ethnicity (Multi cultural education) briefly in a conclusion to evaluate.
    I done the same! I spent a long time on this question but there is a lot that you could've included though! And I done all of these ones too! I also talked about Education Action Zones and compensatory education ect . How did you think you done overall?

ReputationRep:
    no worries, mate.

Same time same place next year?
    Haha, well I am actually doing all of my A Levels in one year, so my A2 is in 3 weeks time!! So if you're still using The student room and move on to a different thread please let me know

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BOWE)
    Haha, well I am actually doing all of my A Levels in one year, so my A2 is in 3 weeks time!! So if you're still using The student room and move on to a different thread please let me know

there is one for A2 sociology scly3 and scly4

i hang about in there at times of boredom lol

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 23, 2016

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.