Turn on thread page Beta

*MEGATHREAD* Interview discussion thread '15-'16 watch

• View Poll Results: Have you received any interview invitations yet + where?
    University of Bristol
    16.28%
    Cardiff University
    22.09%
    University of Southampton
    8.14%
    University of Nottingham
    18.60%
    University of Birmingham
    34.88%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by futuremedic19)
    Your very welcome, it's a pleasure to help especially since I know how horrible and anxious interview preparation can be. Just remember to keep your answers simple,personal and natural.

I'm a 1st year medic at Cardiff. Please don't be afraid to ask anything else
    Good luck
    Oh that's brilliant! Congratulations on getting in. Yes, that's so true. Interview prep is just horrendous at times. Thanks!

Thank you for that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Azula)
    In terms of keeping up with medicine in the news, would reading the medicine section on the guardian website be enough? Thanks
    I'd like to know this too, although I read the bbc news health section (health, NHS, medicine sections) instead

Posted from TSR Mobile
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Bloom77)
    Your blogs isn't working

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi there,

Thanks for pointing this out! The blogs home page doesn't work but if you click on a direct link to a particular blog, you should be able to see it. Was there a specific blog you'd like to read? We can send you the link!

The Medic Portal
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Your blogs isn't working

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi again,

Our blogs are up and running - click here!

Let us know if you need anything else,

The Medic Portal

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Medic Portal)
    Hi again,

Our blogs are up and running - click here!

Let us know if you need anything else,

The Medic Portal
    do you have any info about cardiff interviews?
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone heard back from Exeter after their interviews about offers/rejections?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by ilovecake123)
    do you have any info about cardiff interviews?
    thanks
    Hi there,

Regarding Cardiff Medicine interview, we found both the frequently asked questions page useful for broad information about the interview.

If you scroll down to the question 11, "Will I have to attend an interview and, if so, what can I expect?" it says that:

"You will be interviewed by a panel of 2 or 3 people, at least one of whom is medically qualified. We aim to have a current Year 4 medical student on each panel.

Interviews generally last 20 minutes. They provide a chance for us to explore your personal statement in greater detail and give you the chance to expand further on your experiences."

This is further elaborated on this page of the website.

It says the following:

"All applicants are expected to demonstrate, through both their personal statement and at their interview, evidence of:
    -Motivation and interest in studying Medicine
    -Understanding the demands of Medical training
    -A caring ethos and sense of social awareness and responsibility
    -Evidence of a balanced approach to life
    -Interpersonal and communication skills".

So make sure you practice answering the more traditional style of question (see our free interview question bank!)!

We hope this helps & good luck!

The Medic Portal

ReputationRep:
    Do people reckon that questions about the junior doctor contracts/strikes will come up in interview, or is that a forbidden topic of interview discussion?
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Study Helper

Peer Support Volunteers
    Study Helper
    (Original post by misstac)
    is that a forbidden topic of interview discussion?
    What makes you think that it will be?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usycool1)
    What makes you think that it will be?
    there was absolutely no mention of it in my interview before christmas, so i was just wondering before the next one!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by misstac)
    there was absolutely no mention of it in my interview before christmas, so i was just wondering before the next one!
    Hi there,

Always best to stay informed on it just in case! Check out these links:

BBC

Guardian

Telegraph (this links to the general 'Health' section, which has lots of useful articles on the Junior Doctors Strike news.)

If you are researching the Junior Doctors Strike, try and read a number of different sources to ensure that you have a well-rounded point of view!

The Medic Portal
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Azula)
    In terms of keeping up with medicine in the news, would reading the medicine section on the guardian website be enough? Thanks
    I'd like to know this too, although I read the bbc news health section (health, NHS, medicine sections) instead

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Definitely a good start! I would without doubt recommend NHS Behind The Headlines which is the official NHS response to news articles and they demystify/debunk stories and give the plain facts.

EDIT: 9000th post :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys!😊
    Does anyone have information about KCL interviews? Like generally what type of questions are asked and what the process is?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cpie21)
    Hey guys!😊
    Does anyone have information about KCL interviews? Like generally what type of questions are asked and what the process is?
    Sorry, they make you sign an non-disclosure agreement on the day, so we're not allowed to talk about it :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clunkles)
    Sorry, they make you sign an non-disclosure agreement on the day, so we're not allowed to talk about it :/
    Sorry I worded that wrong.. i didnt mean i want to know the exact questions i meant as in are the questions more focused on you as an individual or are they more related to whether youre upto date with medicine news & about the uni etc.. are there ethical scenarios too?
    I hope that makes sense haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cpie21)
    Sorry I worded that wrong.. i didnt mean i want to know the exact questions i meant as in are the questions more focused on you as an individual or are they more related to whether youre upto date with medicine news & about the uni etc.. are there ethical scenarios too?
    I hope that makes sense haha
    That's covered by the NDA too

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I've recently received an interview for Nottingham Medicine and was wondering how to prepare for this.
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sugarmelodies)
    Anyone able to help with this ethical scenario??

"You are a genetic counsellor. One of your clients, Linda, hada boy with a genetic defect that may have a high recurrence risk, meaning hersubsequent pregnancies has a high chance of being affected by the same defect.You offered genetic testing of Linda, her husband, and their son to find outmore about their disease, to which everyone agreed. The result showed thatneither Linda nor her husband carry the mutation, while the boy inherited themutation on a paternal chromosome that did not come from Linda's husband. Inother words, the boy's biological father is someone else, who is unaware thathe carries the mutation. You suspect that Linda nor her husband are aware ofthis non-paternity. How would you disclose the results of this genetic analysisto Linda and her family? What principles and who do you have to take into considerationin this case?"

Should the information only be revealed to Linda or both her and her husband, since they have both given consent for the genetic test?
    Linda is your 'client' (patient), and she has a right to confidentiality (ethical principle of autonomy). You'd have to discuss with her whether she wants the information to be revealed to her husband or not.

I don't know how the other 3 principles play into this. I think justice does, because you withholding the information may mean that the actual father of Linda's child potentially continues to father children who may inherit the defective allele (so he and his other partners have a right to know).
    Beneficence + non-maleficence: telling Linda's husband: you're neither doing anything good to her, and actually you may cause her harm in another way (how would Linda's husband react? etc.)

Thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    Hi! does anyone know anything about the MMi system in Queen Belfast?
    Thank youu!

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 21, 2016
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.