Oxford PAT 2016

Announcements Posted on

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone done the past papers for the PAT yet? What kind of scores are you getting? I am getting 55ish hahah

ReputationRep:
    Should probably introduce myself to this thread; hello peeps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlphaQuark)
    Should probably introduce myself to this thread; hello peeps
    What are you applying for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Orlandothefraser)
    What are you applying for?
    Physics at Oxford/Imperial/Surrey/UCL/Kings
    Offer from Surrey with a scholarship if I firm arrived yesterday

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 98matt)
    Who made this?? It looks quite interesting & very familiar to the PAT

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, some of the questions are sort of repeated just with different values.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lyamlim97)
    Yeah, some of the questions are sort of repeated just with different values.
    Anyone wanna post the mark scheme

ReputationRep:
    what time is everyone's exam on 2nd

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 98matt)
    Who made this?? It looks quite interesting & very familiar to the PAT

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Imo it's quite a bit easier than an actual paper ^^

My solutions for the questions I was able to do (always worth discussing methods/answers so lemme know if you got a different answer )

1) 171
    2) Didn't bother dividing it, didn't think the mark was worth it but for the record it's ln8/ln5
    3) x = 1/6
    4) 720/8 (not sure, I've only recently looked at C4 integration so this was fun practice XD
    5) p>4 p<-1
    6a) 19/36 (very unsure, did it quite quickly in the interest of time)
    b) 5/54
    7) 103pi/256 multiplied by r^2
    8a) 7x-2y+25=0
    b) 19.5 for distance between y intercepts
    9) like a 1/x graph but a root at 0,0 with asymptotes at x=2 and y=1
    10a) a/1-r = 25 and ar=4 rearrange like there's no tomorrow
    b) use mad mathematical ability to factorise and get r = 4/5,1/5
    11) good ol m1, suvat to give 2root22
    12) v=sqrt(g x delta h)
    13) didn't complete, don't have the physics skills needed, if someone could help that would be mint
    14) T1 = root3 mg/4 T2 = mg/4
    15) 2J lost
    16) SHM isn't on our spec I thought, but regardless idk how to do it so once again, I plead for help
    17) 8/8.55ms^-1 for the first one, double it for the second (not entirely sure)
    18) 0.5kmh^-1 in opposite direction relative to s1 I believe, once again not sure
    19) first two are pretty basic, (5.6 microcoulombs and 340 microjoules), not sure how the p.d. splits when the battery isn't connected, could someone explain?
    20) pretty much no idea how the circuit would work, skipped over it

I finished with half an hour left, which is decent I guess but I skipped quite a few questions. Lmk if there's any thing you disagree with

ReputationRep:
    b) use mad mathematical ability to factorise
    This made me laugh :ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

My solutions for the questions I was able to do (always worth discussing methods/answers so lemme know if you got a different answer )

1) 171
    2) Didn't bother dividing it, didn't think the mark was worth it but for the record it's ln8/ln5
    3) x = 1/6
    4) 720/8 (not sure, I've only recently looked at C4 integration so this was fun practice XD
    5) p>4 p<-1
    b) 5/54
    8a) 7x-2y+25=0
    12) v=sqrt(g x delta h)
    13) didn't complete, don't have the physics skills needed, if someone could help that would be mint
    15) 2J lost
    16) SHM isn't on our spec I thought, but regardless idk how to do it so once again, I plead for help
    18) 0.5kmh^-1 in opposite direction relative to s1 I believe, once again not sure
    19) first two are pretty basic, (5.6 microcoulombs and 340 microjoules), not sure how the p.d. splits when the battery isn't connected, could someone explain?

I finished with half an hour left, which is decent I guess but I skipped quite a few questions. Lmk if there's any thing you disagree with
    I got the same answer for most of them
    4, 180/7
    5. P =4 and P=-1
    6a, 5/9 (pretty sure i am wrong haha)
    7a, 205/256 pi r^2
    8, i got 14.5

havent done the physics one yet

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got a definite solution for Q7?

ReputationRep:

1) 171
    3) x = 1/6
    5) p>4 p<-1
    b) 5/54
    8a) 7x-2y+25=0
    12) v=sqrt(g x delta h)
    15) 2J lost

4. should be 180/7
    1. i got -21 but i have a feeling i am wrong idk pretty sick
    6a. 5/9
    6b. 5/18
    7. 205/256pir^2

ReputationRep:
    please we need you

ReputationRep:
    also for the physics section we cant leave our answers as fractions right? it has to be in 2sf?

ReputationRep:
    sorry to spam but for the last question is it even complete? current through what? voltage drop across what?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NatoHeadshot)
    sorry to spam but for the last question is it even complete? current through what? voltage drop across what?
    I guess its through ,across and dissipated by (each resistor-stated with the last one)

ReputationRep:
    I am sorry for the late reply. I was out for few days. I haven't looked through the maths section yet. Some of the questions in the physics sections are certainly too advanced (testing your knowledge rather than testing your ability to apply known ideas in unknown situations). As has been stated earlier the question is complete and asks "across each resistor". This figure could help. (extremely sorry for the terrible drawing) I have not written units of resistance in the figure, hope this does not add further confusions. Can you convince yourself that this diagram is equivalent to the diagram given in the question? Name:  samplepat.png
Views: 45
Size:  4.0 KB

ReputationRep:
    Hey, is anyone going to be taking some days off from school to study? or is everyone set?

ReputationRep:
    Hey, is anyone going to be taking some days off from school to study? or is everyone set?
    I have half term holiday next week so I'm dedicating most of the week to just straight studying for the PAT and doing papers/getting the technique for problem solving figured out.
    If you're very determined to do well and know that you'll be productive then it might be worth taking a day or so off (preferably a less busy one).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by olegasr)
    I have half term holiday next week so I'm dedicating most of the week to just straight studying for the PAT and doing papers/getting the technique for problem solving figured out.
    If you're very determined to do well and know that you'll be productive then it might be worth taking a day or so off (preferably a less busy one).
    i dont get a week off sadly, so im deciding when to start taking the break from? How many days you think is sensible? i think my friends and the weekend can help me catch up once it's done

Also, hows the prep going? happy with what you're scoring?

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 6, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Wake up and smell the...
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.