The Current Year 11 Thread Mark I (2016-2017)

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, im carobaka from Birmingham/Dudley
    I dont have many hobbies apart from sleeping, watching movies and listening to music.
    Im taking 10 GCSEs but ive already done 3
    Heres what ive achieved:
    French A*
    Biology A
    Health&social care A

The rest & my goals for these subjects:
    English Lit 7
    English lang 7
    Maths 6
    Chemistry A
    Physics B/C
    History A
    Religious Studies A

Personally, i believe that im 100% not prepared for year 11 :'(. But ive been trying to read up on subjects that ive learnt each day to recap and also go through some revision guides which also helped me last year. Im motivated to just get my gcses over and done with.😂 282 days to go till my last exam which is so little . The years have gone by super fast.

My favourite subject has to be biology😊
    Im thinking of taking it as an a level aswell as psychology and sociology.

In the future id like to become a midwife🙌 i need some work experience in a hospital setting or something but apparently i need to be 16 years old to do any maternity work experience which is annoying as i turn 16 aaall the way in july😑. Oh wells.

Good luck to everyone in year 11 😊

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carolbaka)
    Hi guys, im carobaka from Birmingham/Dudley
    I dont have many hobbies apart from sleeping, watching movies and listening to music.
    Im taking 10 GCSEs but ive already done 3
    Heres what ive achieved:
    French A*
    Biology A
    Health&social care A

The rest & my goals for these subjects:
    English Lit 7
    English lang 7
    Maths 6
    Chemistry A
    Physics B/C
    History A
    Religious Studies A

Personally, i believe that im 100% not prepared for year 11 :'(. But ive been trying to read up on subjects that ive learnt each day to recap and also go through some revision guides which also helped me last year. Im motivated to just get my gcses over and done with.😂 282 days to go till my last exam which is so little . The years have gone by super fast.

My favourite subject has to be biology😊
    Im thinking of taking it as an a level aswell as psychology and sociology.

In the future id like to become a midwife🙌 i need some work experience in a hospital setting or something but apparently i need to be 16 years old to do any maternity work experience which is annoying as i turn 16 aaall the way in july😑. Oh wells.

Good luck to everyone in year 11 😊
    A midwife seems awesome, Biology is my favourite subject too! I'm looking for work experience in a hospital as well, though I'm only 15 (I get how you feel haha as I don't turn 16 until May). It wouldn't hurt to call and inquire about work experience though, as you'll never know, they might let you! Thats what I'm hoping anyway, good luck!!! Xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I just wanted some opinions quicky:

I just realised that I'm only taking 9 GCSE's...
    I'm expected mostly A/A*, but I'm looking to go to Farnborough Sixth for A Levels, and I'm worried that my lack of GCSE's will let me down, as everyone on TSR has between 10 and 12 generally.

The reason why I'm only doing 9 is because nobody in my year is doing triple science, which as so annoying for me as science is one of my best subjects and I know that I could easily get 3 A's or more in it.

So will it ruin my chances or not...?

ReputationRep:
    Why does it matter if no one else is taking triple sci? Also, no, it shouldn't be a problem. I think if its more than 8, it should be fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by patriciaanne)
    A midwife seems awesome, Biology is my favourite subject too! I'm looking for work experience in a hospital as well, though I'm only 15 (I get how you feel haha as I don't turn 16 until May). It wouldn't hurt to call and inquire about work experience though, as you'll never know, they might let you! Thats what I'm hoping anyway, good luck!!! Xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think i might try and get experience with an independent midwife or shadow my local doctor. I tried emailing lots of care homes but none of them have replied😞 thank you& good luck to you with your work experience😊

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bjt1882)

I'm expected mostly A/A*, but I'm looking to go to Farnborough Sixth for A Levels, and I'm worried that my lack of GCSE's will let me down, as everyone on TSR has between 10 and 12 generally.

The reason why I'm only doing 9 is because nobody in my year is doing triple science, which as so annoying for me as science is one of my best subjects and I know that I could easily get 3 A's or more in it.

No, it will be absolutely fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bjt1882)

I don't think it would. I'm only doing 9 GCSEs as I don't know why but for my year they only let us do 9?? Its been 10 in the past I really don't know why its changed

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi I'm robstar124
    I'm taking 10 subjects at gcse which are:
    Maths (Edexcel)
    Additional Maths (Edexcel)
    English Language (AQA)
    English Literature (AQA)
    Biology (OCR)
    Chemistry (OCR)
    Physics (OCR)
    Religious Education (AQA)
    Geography (AQA B)
    Computer Science (AQA)

I think I am ready for the new maths GCSE however I'm ****ing myself for the english GCSE.

My favourite subjects are Maths, Physics and Computer science.
    My dream career is probably a software architect (ikr nerdy).

ReputationRep:
    (i don't know if i'm a bit late posting on this thread but i thought i'd do it anyway.)
    hey, i'm katy and i'm an avid reader, aspiring criminology student and shameless (us) enthusiast.
    i'm taking nine subjects at gcse which are:
    • english literature [eduqas]
    • english language [eduqas]
    • maths [edexcel]
    • chemistry [ocr]
    • biology [ocr]
    • physics [ocr]
    • geography [wjec]
    • german [ocr]
    • art [aqa]
    (i think that most of them of the right exam boards but honestly some of those are guesses because i really don't have a clue.)
    i love learning about criminal justice and i hope to study criminology at university before going on to become a police officer.
    i am also terrible at revision, so i'm terrified of this year, since i can't remember a thing!

ReputationRep:
    My Name Is NadirElbs And i am In year 11 i am studying......

Maths
    English
    Science
    Media Studies
    Graphic Design
    Geography

ReputationRep:
    Hi I am Snowystar and I am in year 11. I really love to stargaze and I really love history with science and maths. I also enjoy reading, especially the Lorien Legacies (now completed). I have already done a couple of GCSEs and an AS Level (which was really tricky and done in the third of a time of a normal student) and I really want to get the highest grades possible. Below is a list of the GCSEs I have taken and the exam board:

Maths (AQA)
    Triple science which is Biology Chemistry and Physics (AQA)
    English literature (AQA)
    English language (AQA)
    Geography (AQA A)
    History (AQA)
    German (AQA)
    Graphics or graphic design (OCR)

GCSEs I have already taken
    Citizenship (I got a B, taken in year 8)
    Statistics (Got a B, taken in year 10 - one mark off an A 😭)

My target grades are as follows:

Maths 9
    English (both) 7+ pushing into 8
    Sciences (all 3) A*
    Geography A
    History A
    German A
    Graphics A

My likely grades
    Maths 8+
    English 7
    Sciences A*3
    Geography B1
    History A3
    German B1
    Graphics A3

I definitely do not feel ready to take my GCSEs especially the new ones since they are so much harder than the old ones. Hopefully I will get good enough GCSEs to achieve my dream of becoming an astronomer. 😀

The subject I am suffering most with is German right now. I have to learn 120 words a week to help with my vocab as it is my weakest subject (I am a pass but would like to achieve the highest grades). If anyone knows any revision tips for German please help.

My strongest subjects are the sciences and maths so I could help a few people there. I'm ok at all of my other subjects too.

Many thanks Snowystar

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by patriciaanne)
    I don't think it would. I'm only doing 9 GCSEs as I don't know why but for my year they only let us do 9?? Its been 10 in the past I really don't know why its changed

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Maybe you done two sciences instead of three?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snowystar)
    Maybe you done two sciences instead of three?
    No Im doing triple science, so Im definitely doing 3 science gcses

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Science ISAs :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BobBobson)
    Although they can be a pain, they do reduce the stress of the exams, just a little bit, by knowing that you have "x" grade already in your ISA.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BobBobson)
    ^^^^^^^^^^^

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I'm Najma and I'm new. I've already been in year 11 for 2 weeks.
    Subjects that I'm taking are
    English literature and language AQA
    Maths probably EDEXCEL
    Core science AQA
    French AQA
    Biology
    Chemistry
    Physics
    ICT EDEXCEL
    History Geography

I haven't thought about the future yet but I will probably do the sciences and maths.I seriously dreading being in year 11 especially because of the new English and maths specifications. Like all we do in maths is problem solving and I'm supposed to learn lots of quotations by heart. I've done most of my control assessments in year 10,When are you guys planning to start revising?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gintama2000)
    Hello, I'm Najma and I'm new. I've already been in year 11 for 2 weeks.
    Subjects that I'm taking are
    English literature and language AQA
    Maths probably EDEXCEL
    Core science AQA
    French AQA
    Biology
    Chemistry
    Physics
    ICT EDEXCEL
    History Geography

I haven't thought about the future yet but I will probably do the sciences and maths.I seriously dreading being in year 11 especially because of the new English and maths specifications. Like all we do in maths is problem solving and I'm supposed to learn lots of quotations by heart. I've done most of my control assessments in year 10,When are you guys planning to start revising?
    I've already started revising, but I haven't done too much revision, more making my final notes for subjects at the moment. it is good to start revising though because of your mocks, mine are at Christmas.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simonexoxo)
    I've already started revising, but I haven't done too much revision, more making my final notes for subjects at the moment. it is good to start revising though because of your mocks, mine are at Christmas.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Same, I'm not revising as such, I'm rather making and refining my notes for my mocks. I'm almost definitely going to use said notes for my final exams too, albeit with some additions of topics I missed, and minor imporovements.

ReputationRep:
    Year 11. Gr8. Woo.

Eh I'm doing:

AQA Triple Science

AQA History- Modern World

English Lit- An Inspector Calls, A Christmas Carol&Macbeth. Also, poetry. Fun times.

English Lang- not even covered anything on this yet:/

AQA French- legit the best GCSE subject, imo.

AQA(?)Catering and Hospitality- food&much coursework.

Edexcel Maths- Targeted a 9, no chance.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 5, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.