D&D Religion's "Ask About Sikhism" Thread Watch

CHAMON
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Magic_007)
It's good to know at least you're practicing your religion.

In general, are there more practising sikhs or less?

I was reading about Jhatka in which sikhs kill animals by a single strike of a sword or axe to sever the head, it says in wiki that this is considered to be 'less painful to the animal than other methods'.
Evidence?

This site will answer all the queries.

http://www.realsikhism.com/index.php...2221028&ucat=7

General

•Why do we need religion?
•What is Sikhism and who are the Sikhs?
•Who are Sikh Gurus and how does one become a Guru?
•Why was Sikh religion needed?
•How is Sikhism different from other religions?
•How many scriptures do Sikhs have?
•Who wrote Guru Granth Sahib Ji? What kind of information does Guru Granth Sahib Ji contain?
•How do Sikhs greet each other? What does Sat Shri Akal means?
•Why do some names end in Ji or Sahib?God & His Universe

•Who is God? What does God look like?
•What is the Sikh name for God?
•How is Sikhism a religion created by God?
•How is Sikhism a direct way to meet God?Sikh Beliefs

•What are the Sikh beliefs?
•How did we come into existence?
•What happens after death?
•Is there a heaven and hell?
•What is the purpose of life?
•How can one attain salvation?
•What kind of food should we eat? is it ok to eat meat?
•If we should not eat meat then why do we eat plants while both have life?
•Why we should not believe in superstitions?
•What kind of government does Sikhism promote?
Equality

•Do Sikhs believe in equality of all humanity?
•Do Sikhs believe all humans are equal spiritually too?
•What is the role and status of women in Sikh society?
•What is the contribution of Sikhism in the upliftment of women?
•Why do Sikh men have the last name Singh and all women, have the last name Kaur?
•Why do some Sikhs still use Gill, Sandhu, Sidhu etc. as their last name?
Hair & Turban

•Why do Sikhs keep hair?
•Do hair have life?
•Why Sikhs do not cut their hair but they cut their nails?
•What is the purpose of turban? Why do Sikhs wear turban?
•What is the appropriate head covering for Sikh women?Sikh Life

•Do Sikhs lead a normal life, get married and have children, etc.?
•What type of lifestyle do Sikhs have?
•Are marriages arranged in the Sikh tradition?
•How many wives can Sikhs have?
•How and at what age do Sikhs take Amrit (become baptized into Sikhism)?
•What worship and life one has to follow after taking Amrit?
Sikh History

•What contributions have Sikhs made as Soldiers and Warriors?
Sikh Church (Gurdwara Sahib)

•Is it absolutely imperative to attend Church every Sunday?
•What is the function of the Gurdwara Sahib? Who maintains the Gurdwara Sahib? How is it financed?
•How and when should I visit the Gurdwara Sahib?
•Are the singers in the Gurdwara Sahib invited guests or professionals?
•What is the significance of the person standing besides Guru Granth Sahib Ji and waving a wisk?
•What do the large circles and swords in front of the alter represent?
•Why do men and women sit on the separate sides in the Gurdwara Sahib?
•There is something very sweet provided in the Gurdwara Sahib to eat, what is it?
•Which language is spoken in the Gurdwara Sahib? Where is this language taught?
Conversions
•How do Sikhs look at people from other religions?
•How do Sikhs feel about converting others into Sikhism?
•Do westerners convert into Sikh religion?
•How can I convert to Sikhism?
Misconceptions

•Are the stories about Guru Ji eating meat true?
•Are all turban wearing people Muslim?
•Why is Sikhism NOT a combination of Islam and Hinduism?
•Why are Sardars sometimes referred to as naïve and unintelligent?
Sikh Views on Islam and Hinduism

•Is following the Caste System a good practice?
•Can God be pleased by making animal sacrifice?
•Are some animals such as cow, snake, and elephant sacred?
•Can idol worship of Hindu deities (Brahma, Vishnu, Shiva, etc.) lead to salvation?
•Can making pilgrimages wash your sins and/or help you meet God?
Sikh Views on Christianity

•Is Jesus God?
•Is God a trinity?
•Is Jesus the only way to attain salvation?
•Do Sikhs believe in creation or evolution?
•Christians always talk about going to heaven or hell, what does Sikhism say about it?
•Many Christians believe in the feminine side of God, what does Sikhism say about it?
Modern Issues

•What are Sikh beliefs on Inter-Faith marriage?
•If all humans are equal then why do Sikhs preach not to marry outside their religion?
•Can Sikhs marry someone from another religion in the Gurdwara Sahib?
•What are Sikhism's beliefs on Abortion?
•What are Sikhism's beliefs on Homosexuality?
•Is it ok to read English translations of Guru Granth Sahib Ji?
•I do not know either Gurmukhi or Punjabi. How can I understand Guru Granth Sahib Ji?
•I am familiar with Punjabi but why cannot I understand the text in Guru Granth Sahib Ji?
I Am Herenow
Badges: 0
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by CHAMON)
Compatible? i don't know how you mean.:confused:
I mean that they seem to contradict each other. To use two different examples, why carry a ceremonial sword but forbid pilgrimages and idols; what is the fundamental difference between these two?

This is similar to combing and removing dead hair while retaining live hair.
What is live hair? Hair (except the follicle which is under the skin) is dead (1, 2).
CHAMON
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by I Am Herenow)
I mean that they seem to contradict each other. To use two different examples, why carry a ceremonial sword but forbid pilgrimages and idols; what is the fundamental difference between these two?

What is live hair? Hair (except the follicle which is under the skin) is dead (1, 2).

Sword is there to be used for defence. A Sikh is supposed to be a Soldier of God, always ready to assist the poor and defenceless hence the carrying of the sword upon their person. Pilgrimage is believed by some is so they can live longer or be cured of illness. etc.

Dead hair is removed using the comb, whist the hair attached to the scalp remains intact? :confused:
Magic_007
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
This site will answer all the queries.

http://www.realsikhism.com/index.php...2221028&ucat=7

Thanks for this, sorry for the late response.

But there is one question that is not answered, I know it has been mentioned on the thread before, but I would like to ask about whether Sikhs actually do the following as it is mentioned in the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji:
''''The Grace of the Master is bestowed upon those who meditate on Him alone. They are pleasing to His Heart. || 3 || You may observe the thirty fasts, and say the five prayers each day, but 'Satan' can undo them. Says Nanak, you will have to walk on the Path of Death, so why do you bother to collect wealth and property? '' SGGS pg 24''
'James Hunt'
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Thanks for this, sorry for the late response.

But there is one question that is not answered, I know it has been mentioned on the thread before, but I would like to ask about whether Sikhs actually do the following as it is mentioned in the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji:
''''The Grace of the Master is bestowed upon those who meditate on Him alone. They are pleasing to His Heart. || 3 || You may observe the thirty fasts, and say the five prayers each day, but 'Satan' can undo them. Says Nanak, you will have to walk on the Path of Death, so why do you bother to collect wealth and property? '' SGGS pg 24''
This is what i interpret it as (and im not a baptised sikh btw);

Using Islam as an example to show to Sikhs that you can observe the thirty Ramadan fasts and make five daily prayers but keep these rituals in a way in which Satan will not violate their merits. Basically do let satan (through vices) into your daily religious rituals as it will prevent you getting closer to God.

The implication is not just that Satan attacks Muslims trying to observe their fasts but rather that Satan will try and undo anyone trying to follow guidance of religious practices. One who lives in an evil way is described as behaving like Satan.

As far as im aware Sikhs do not fast but they do abstain from forbidden vices such as meat, alcohol, drugs, lust. Baptised sikhs tend to read the Japji Sahibs (Prayers) daily.
Magic_007
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by James Hunt)
This is what i interpret it as (and im not a baptised sikh btw);

Using Islam as an example to show to Sikhs that you can observe the thirty Ramadan fasts and make five daily prayers but keep these rituals in a way in which Satan will not violate their merits. Basically do let satan (through vices) into your daily religious rituals as it will prevent you getting closer to God.

The implication is not just that Satan attacks Muslims trying to observe their fasts but rather that Satan will try and undo anyone trying to follow guidance of religious practices. One who lives in an evil way is described as behaving like Satan.

As far as im aware Sikhs do not fast but they do abstain from forbidden vices such as meat, alcohol, drugs, lust. Baptised sikhs tend to read the Japji Sahibs (Prayers) daily.
I've read up on baptism in Sikhism and from what I gather being a baptised sikh is better than being non-baptised (I'm not having a go at you :lol:) is this true?
After all, it does allow you to enter the Khalsa brotherhood.
'James Hunt'
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I've read up on baptism in Sikhism and from what I gather being a baptised sikh is better than being non-baptised (I'm not having a go at you :lol:) is this true?
After all, it does allow you to enter the Khalsa brotherhood.
lol it quite possibly is. There's a story whereby a jeweller gives the the Guru a bar of gold & asks Guru Gobind, 'why does he need to be a baptised sikh'?

The Guru replies 'would you be able to tell me if this bar of gold is 100% pure by looking at it', the jeweller says 'i can tell you that it's about 90% but to be certain id have to do tests'.

The Guru then replies 'if you follow me and become baptised and follow the rituals it is a 100% guaranteed that you will get to God and get off the cycle of life & death'. If not then maybe you will or maybe you won't but if you do it's 100% guaranteed.

I don't think i would be able to live a baptised life at the moment but maybe in the future when im wiser & diciplined i will be able to.
B-Man.
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I have a question regarding the afterlife in Sikhism. From what I understand there is a concept of reincarnation, heaven and hell, in which your deeds are paid off in heaven and hell before being reincarnated. The only time this cycle breaks is when you become 'one with God.'

What does being 'one with God' mean? Are you dead at this point or here on Earth still?

I have gotten my information from a website called realsikhism.com, please tell me if I have used an untrustworthy source or if my information is erroneous regarding this. Thanks.
jasbirsingh
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by B-Man.)
I have a question regarding the afterlife in Sikhism. From what I understand there is a concept of reincarnation, heaven and hell, in which your deeds are paid off in heaven and hell before being reincarnated. The only time this cycle breaks is when you become 'one with God.'

What does being 'one with God' mean? Are you dead at this point or here on Earth still?

I have gotten my information from a website called realsikhism.com, please tell me if I have used an untrustworthy source or if my information is erroneous regarding this. Thanks.
Just saw your post. As far as I am Sikh's don't believe in hell and heaven. I think it's used in Guru Granth Sahib Ji as an analogy/metaphor.

Short answer to what does 'one with God' : It means is when you have fully control over five evils. At this point your soul breaks the cycle of reincarnation. Also, I think one can break the cycle of reincarnation through doing good deeds.
boromir9111
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
What is the definition of Sikhism? and where did it originate from?
Charzhino
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by boromir9111)
What is the definition of Sikhism? and where did it originate from?
Basically one who is a follower of the Sikh masters/gurus. Sikh loosely translates to student. It originated around the 14th century by Guru Nanak considered the first Guru. Through succession of 10 Gurus in total it was completed by the last, Guru Gobin. All Gurus claimed to speak through Nanak as a show of humility and respect.
boromir9111
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Charzhino)
Basically one who is a follower of the Sikh masters/gurus. Sikh loosely translates to student. It originated around the 14th century by Guru Nanak considered the first Guru. Through succession of 10 Gurus in total it was completed by the last, Guru Gobin. All Gurus claimed to speak through Nanak as a show of humility and respect.
So do these "sikh masters/gurus" have some sort of divine power?
Tinkle
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by dealbreaker)
Is it true that the founder or founders of Sikhism were once from the Islamic faith?
no thats not true
Tinkle
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Suave)
Does it apply to women too?
It applies to all sikhs. Every sikh should not remove any hair from their body. Women and men.
Tinkle
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Akhoza)
oh kiddhaaaa liyeh glassy:beer: ...buraahhh lol
your not showing a very good example of being a sikh you know. telling everyone that sikhism is this, that. and now your talking about drinking. tainu sharam ni aundi.
iPodTunes
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Let's whip the sharab out brahhhh
starglide
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by iPodTunes)
Let's whip the sharab out brahhhh
Hmm...very mature
B-Man.
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Is there anyone who, according to Sikh dogma, has a higher authority than your average Sikh? (with the exception of Holy Books and dead Gurus).
RoshniDiya
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by B-Man.)
Is there anyone who, according to Sikh dogma, has a higher authority than your average Sikh? (with the exception of Holy Books and dead Gurus).
No.

Edit: it depends on the way in which you define authority, for example, the Akal Takht has the authority to issue general guidelines to the Sikhs. http://www.sikh-history.com/sikhhist...akaltakht.html
umarrehman187
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
if sikh do not cut thier hair what about the pubic hair that is in a dirty area such as sperm going on there and sticking there etc? do they cut thier pubic hair off and arm pit hair?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (44)
37.61%
No - but I will (4)
3.42%
No - I don't want to (5)
4.27%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (64)
54.7%

Watched Threads