The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 600
thanks all of you for above info
Birmingham Bristol Liverpool - non UKCAT
LiamSwainy
Birmingham Bristol Liverpool - non UKCAT

The OP needs to divulge their gcse results before anyone can recommend Birmingham.
Bristol and Liverpool
lucky78
well, I am originally from india with school qualifications from there. however I am Nurse working here, this is why i chose to access to medicine. Not sure wheter to go for it. I mean is it worth doing this courese with my Ukcat of 550.

Thanks

Hey..

Did you CBSE??There are some universities like bsms,bristol,hyms...
which consider CBSE.What percentage did you get in Xii?
lucky78
Despite loads of practice, I only managed a meagre average 550 on UKCAT. I have been contemplating whether to really go for the access to medicine course. Is there a point in continunig with the course when ukcat is low. I dont feel i have much choices applying to med school now. any advice would be appreciated.

i am relatively new to this forum and its confusing where exactly to look for answers. the Big ukcat thread seems long but doesnt answer my question at all.

Regards

have to be over 19 for access btw. if you're not
Reply 606
Dont worry. I already secured a place starting sep 2010 at COWA
Reply 607
goodboy4444
Hey..

Did you CBSE??There are some universities like bsms,bristol,hyms...
which consider CBSE.What percentage did you get in Xii?

No. it was a tamilnadu state board. i got 76% only
indifferencepersonified
The OP needs to divulge their gcse results before anyone can recommend Birmingham.

Yeah.. but it still stands that they're all non UKCAT.
Reply 609
WrigglyMammoth
Sheffield cut of was 680 or thereabouts, may have increased this year

Ring admissions, obviously apply to birmingham as they don't use ukcat and will jizz over your GCSEs

When people refer to Sheffield, and other University's "Cut-Off" points, is that referring to the average score of the 4 categories, or the lowest score achieved?

With a 685 UKCAT average, is it still sensible to apply to Newcastle?

(10A*'s GCSE, Predicted 4 A's A-Level, Great work-exp)

Thanks for your help,
Mike
Reply 610
l4ith
I scored 800, with 900 in QR 890 AR and 830 DA but 580 VR, does that matter?

Yeah they will line you up against a wall and shoot you for that pitiful score.:facepalm2:
Reply 611
Mikey1789
With a 685 UKCAT average, is it still sensible to apply to Newcastle?

(10A*'s GCSE, Predicted 4 A's A-Level, Great work-exp)

Thanks for your help,
Mike

Yes.
Reply 612
i went to the kings open day and they said that they dont look at the UKCAT score TOO much...
as in having a higher one will obviously put you at an advantage..but if you have a lower one say about 600 or less, then you would really have to make up for it in other stuff....like grades and extra curric. and stuff like that.
:smile::smile:
nekochan92
just did mine this morning -
avg 645
:s-smilie: i didnt really revise, i looked at the mock the night before and did a few qs in front of the tv for some deluded reason, mainly the fact that i did so well at AS (95%avg).

I'm quite worried that the score is too 'middling'.
what unis would you advise for me? i was thinking bristol and edinburgh but from what i've seen, my common sense doesn't seem to be working so well atm.
:eek:

i got 8A* 1A and 1B at gcse if this helps.
thanks ^^

UKCAT cut-offs are increasing this year, so personally, ie. what I would do if I got 645, I wouldn't apply to any UKCAT universities, or I would apply to ones that don't rank the UKCAT in the admissions process highly. I know Southampton rank the PS above the UKCAT, so maybe try there?

Bristol don't require UKCAT, so it would be good for your application to apply there. Maybe Birmingham, only MAYBE, because although they don't require UKCAT either, they have a GCSE policy whereas they only accept applicants with 8 A* or more, yet depending on the quality of the competition this year, you might not even get an interview with your grades :s Also Liverpool, they don't require UKCAT.

Have you thought about any BMAT universities?
Reply 614
did mine this morning got an average of 575
i dont know where to apply now... im so depressed
wanted to apply to leeds, sheffield, manchester
still applying to leeds, hull york probably
has anyone got any advice or suggestions!
thankyou
i got 557 for my ukcat average and AABB at AS. what are the universities that don't look at ukcat as much? would it still be sensible to apply for medicine now?
coffee345
i got 557 for my ukcat average and AABB at AS. what are the universities that don't look at ukcat as much? would it still be sensible to apply for medicine now?

First Year I applied (09) I got 532.5 and got four rejections, that same year another applicant got 537.5 and is now at medical school.

But this year my UKCAT was 665, and I'm now starting medical school.

So Its not the end of the world, and if you strengthen the rest of your application you still stand a good chance this year.
Reply 617
vas876
First Year I applied (09) I got 532.5 and got four rejections, that same year another applicant got 537.5 and is now at medical school.

So Its not the end of the world, and if you strengthen the rest of your application you still stand a good chance this year.

You give me so much hope :dance: haha

I just did my UKCAT this morning and got 645 overall (640 VR, 650 QR, 600 AR, 690 DA) I feel like its such garbage. Can it still be considered an acceptable (as in not THAT bad) score, or would the admissions tutors look at it and be like "meeeh, next"?

Also, my grades aren't as strong as most of the candidates here on TSR but meet the minimum requirements and atm my work experience includes 2 months admin work at a senior home/hospital, 1 year as lifeguard/swim instructor, and 2 months at a rehab centre. How well do you guys think I fair? Typical?
ssscotty
You give me so much hope :dance: haha

I just did my UKCAT this morning and got 645 overall (640 VR, 650 QR, 600 AR, 690 DA) I feel like its such garbage. Can it still be considered an acceptable (as in not THAT bad) score, or would the admissions tutors look at it and be like "meeeh, next"?

Also, my grades aren't as strong as most of the candidates here on TSR but meet the minimum requirements and atm my work experience includes 2 months admin work at a senior home/hospital, 1 year as lifeguard/swim instructor, and 2 months at a rehab centre. How well do you guys think I fair? Typical?

Have you seen my application, it would be considered average at most, yet im in.

645 is a good score!
vas876

How come you're applying for medicine again this year? Have you took a gap year last year and which university have you got accepted at for a medicine course? What A levels and GCSE's did you take and what did you get for them.

Latest

Trending

Trending