Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    and WOOOHHOOOOO!!!! :woo::woo::woo::woo: Study leave is officially in session, no more school for six weeks. Good riddance. :banana2: :dancing:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Bluffroom)
    Well London is London - expected to be expensive. Not a clue.

Like I said - when not in a city things are a lot cheaper - but pay scales. Why do you have to pay for food?
    My mom wants to make sure I am not spoiled and that I am productive with my life.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team

Like I said - when not in a city things are a lot cheaper - but pay scales. Why do you have to pay for food?
    Doesn't help that I live in a major oil hub either... (so expensive):mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    and WOOOHHOOOOO!!!! :woo::woo::woo::woo: Study leave is officially in session, no more school for six weeks. Good riddance. :banana2: :dancing:
    Mine's not for a month - but you start in August so :P
    My mom wants to make sure I am not spoiled and that I am productive with my life.
    Where do you get the money from then, or does she budget you?
    Doesn't help that I live in a major oil hub either... (so expensive):mad:
    (City) - just the fact it's a city does it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olympiad)
    I don't recall ever revising ICT :/

Using the TSR app ~ Smile, you are amazing!
    It was for a controlled assessment We can only do it in class

ReputationRep:

But it's too expensive! I don't have the sort of money to pay for that, and neither do my parents! I didn't think anyone would know, basically the zones are different parts of the London train and underground system, and there are different prices for travelling inbetween zones, and it's even more expensive going from a non-zone place to somewhere in a zone. Six the outermost zone by the way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vionar)
    But it's too expensive! I don't have the sort of money to pay for that, and neither do my parents! I didn't think anyone would know, basically the zones are different parts of the London train and underground system, and there are different prices for travelling inbetween zones, and it's even more expensive going from a non-zone place to somewhere in a zone. Six the outermost zone by the way.
    Ah fair enough, well that sucks then :/
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team

Where do you get the money from then, or does she budget you?
    Bit of both, I have to become her slave and wash everything, iron everything and basically have no life on saturdays because of all the work. I get it from making graphics for companies, web design and trading.

ReputationRep:
    that's ridiculously unfair :< We aren't even close to well off. I have to now pay for 6th form buses which is ridiculous too! It's like £650 a year!
    *coughs* £800 a year for college bus
    (Original post by Vionar)
    Surrey, and just outside greater London I'm not even in zone six (does anyone actually know what I'm talking about with zones?)
    I think so. The rail/underground lines?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Boo Hoo... I have to pay for food £1200 a year and transport £1300 so, yeah, I am basically broke throughout the year.
    :eek:

I guess I'm more 'subsidised' than you then. I don't need to pay for food but do need to pay for any public transport and expenses such as my phone, laptop etc. as well as self-financing my investment accounts. It's generally easy for me because I don't like spending money unnecessarily. :/

General sources of income include dividends and value growth from investments, payment for working with my parents during weekends and a very small proportion of income from the business.

ReputationRep:
    My income is £3 a week from grandparents for jobs etc. But I don't have to pay rent food etc. And I have no social life so I Hardly spend it

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Aurorae)
    :eek:

I guess I'm a little more 'subsidised' than you then. I don't need to pay for food but do need to pay for any public transport and expenses such as my phone, laptop etc. as well as self-financing my investment accounts. It's generally easy for me because I don't like spending money unnecessarily. :/

General sources of income include dividends and value growth from investments, payment for working with my parents during weekends and a very small proportion of income from the business.
    What business? Your parents'?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by MattFletcher)
    My income is £3 a week from grandparents for jobs etc. But I don't have to pay rent food etc. And I have no social life so I Hardly spend it

Posted from TSR Mobile
    For real?

Why don't you get a weekend job somewhere, you'll earn at least that an hour.

ReputationRep:
    Ah fair enough, well that sucks then :/
    I'm just hoping I can get them to pay for it somehow, and they are the closest colleges, so I can't exactly just go somewhere else.

*coughs* £800 a year for college bus

I think so. The rail/underground lines?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, an explanation's above if you really want to know more!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    What business? Your parents'?
    Yep, but I'm planning to divert some of my investment money towards a start-up so hopefully I can stop taking their revenue.

My only concern with not using parents money would be the tuition fees and living costs in America. Even if I sold most of my investments, used my savings etc. I doubt I could cover two years there. :eek:

ReputationRep:
    My exam starts when my study leave starts.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Aurorae)
    Yep, but I'm planning to divert some of my investment money towards a start-up so hopefully I can stop taking their revenue.

My only concern with not using parents money would be the tuition fees and living costs in America. Even if I sold most of my investments, used my savings etc. I doubt I could cover two years there. :eek:
    See, that's where i'm hoping for financial aid. Mom lives off of rental income which is low enough to get near-full aid. The properties aren't valued that high so total assests are proportionate to the income.

What kind of start-up? A tech/web one or a more traditional business? Also, what colleges (Unis for you UK folk) would you like to go to in the states?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by PriyaPaul)
    My exam starts when my study leave starts.
    That's interesting, so you don't have any exams while on study leave? Our exams are spread out over six weeks so we don't have to go to school within that space of time - i.e. our study leave.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    1500 followers, shut up
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    See, that's where i'm hoping for financial aid. Mom lives off of rental income which is low enough to get near-full aid. The properties aren't valued that high so total assests are proportionate to the income.

What kind of start-up? A tech/web one or a more traditional business? Also, what colleges (Unis for you UK folk) would you like to go to in the states?
    Tech/Web one. I have more knowledge in that regard than with the traditional 'fixed to the ground' businesses which is probably my parents speciality.

Looking primarily at Harvard (haha), but wouldn't mind Stanford or MIT.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.