Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    :manutd: ...

ReputationRep:
    Arsenal fan on Twitter - I do not want Suarez as he won't be available for the first 6 games.
    Piers Morgan - I am more worried that Gervinho will be available for 38 games.

Piers is a **** but this was hilarious :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stopmessing)
    I think you Arsenal fans are delusional if you think you'll spend 50m+ to get Suarez.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    stop messing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexsong)
    Selling the best player in the league to a team who are where we wanna be will never make sense and I dont think your scenario is really realistic to be honest, from what I heard Ferguson didnt know he was gonna retire till about March when RVP had been there for 8 months, and there is no way to rationalise it for Arsenal you just try and maximise the money and move on but to be fair we were basically over the barrel with his contract expiring. Hopefully Liverpool will make the same mistake with Suarez but I have my doubts
    http://m.guardian.co.uk/football/201...ger-van-persie

I feel like there's more to it, though. Seems to be a more long-term tactical transfer than an outright stupid short-term transfer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaboy)
    Okay for one we have champions league football which is massive for players these days and liverpool are nowhere near that. On top of that we got the money now and are prepared to spend to win titles, what is the best liverpool can do? win the Capital one cup which where traditionally we play our youth because its a trophy that has less value then a packet of crisps???

If we do spend 70 on 2/3 top class player we will become title challengers, we wont be favourites and we accept that but atleast we have a decent chance unlike liverpool who will probably battling out with everton for the illusive top 6 which you can't seem to get into...

Arsenal is a far more attractive proposition then liverpool
    Think it's a bit of a stretch to say Liverpool are nowhere near CL football. We're probably about 10 points off the pace in the past few seasons. Arsenal are about 15 points off the pace of challenging/winning the league but would most Arsenal fans say they are nowhere near fighting for the title? Add to that it's easier to add 10 points to your total when you've got about 60 than it is to add 10 more when you're around 70 points. Our form for the 2nd half of the season was relatively strong too.
    Even as a Liverpool fan I'll admit that I still think it's unlikely that we'll get top 4 but factor in that we have no European commitments next season and an improving squad which is continuously being invested in, I'd say we're the closest we will be in the past 4 years.

To be honest, it's still paper talk about the money. We're yet to see any evidence of actually spending and signing players for big money and on big contracts. Let's not ignore the fact that Wengers bigger signings haven't been his best.

Arsenal played a relatively strong team in the League Cup last year. I think Wenger knows it's important to win something now to try and build a winning mentality.

Also wanted to ask generally - what do people think is the fee worth spending on Suarez? The clause in his contract says 40mil and Wenger seems to have bid around 35mil + add-ons to get to 40mil whereas Rodgers is talking about 55mil (re Cavani/Falcao fee etc).

I can't see it being cost effective for Arsenal to spend 55mil on Suarez (and factor in 100k+ in wages). What's the limit?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    Think it's a bit of a stretch to say Liverpool are nowhere near CL football. We're probably about 10 points off the pace in the past few seasons. Arsenal are about 15 points off the pace of challenging/winning the league but would most Arsenal fans say they are nowhere near fighting for the title? Add to that it's easier to add 10 points to your total when you've got about 60 than it is to add 10 more when you're around 70 points. Our form for the 2nd half of the season was relatively strong too.
    Even as a Liverpool fan I'll admit that I still think it's unlikely that we'll get top 4 but factor in that we have no European commitments next season and an improving squad which is continuously being invested in, I'd say we're the closest we will be in the past 4 years.

To be honest, it's still paper talk about the money. We're yet to see any evidence of actually spending and signing players for big money and on big contracts. Let's not ignore the fact that Wengers bigger signings haven't been his best.

Arsenal played a relatively strong team in the League Cup last year. I think Wenger knows it's important to win something now to try and build a winning mentality.

Also wanted to ask generally - what do people think is the fee worth spending on Suarez? The clause in his contract says 40mil and Wenger seems to have bid around 35mil + add-ons to get to 40mil whereas Rodgers is talking about 55mil (re Cavani/Falcao fee etc).

I can't see it being cost effective for Arsenal to spend 55mil on Suarez (and factor in 100k+ in wages). What's the limit?
    Tbh I think if a fee is agreed it will be circa 45mil with around 5mil addons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goofymark13)
    More like 40m with 5m in add ons. With no Real interest, LFC's negotiating position isn't as strong as I thought it was.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goofymark13)
    Do you think Arsenal should be spending/committing 50mil to one player? Surely Arsenal would be better to add two players for 25mil to the team? Would Suarez improve the team to the tune of 45/50mil?

(Original post by Zürich)
    More like 40m with 5m in add ons. With no Real interest, LFC's negotiating position isn't as strong as I thought it was.
    No Real interest at the moment. I think it's presumptious to think Real Madrid aren't or won't be interested. I can't see Real Madrid going into a new season with Benzema as their only senior striker. Ancelotti will want another striker (with Barca under a new manager and having spunked 50mil on Neymar, Madrid will sign a big name striker too imo).

Other than Suarez, who else is there for Real Madrid to go for? Lewendoski perhaps could be tempted?

Until Real Madrid sign another striker, from an Arsenal point of view, I'd be very wary of Real Madrid. There's still another 5 weeks of the transfer window (and the Suarez saga) and seeing how desperate Liverpool are to keep Suarez, no doubt this will drag on for another month..

Do you think Suarez is worth 40mil +5mil in add-ons to Arsenal?

ReputationRep:
    No Real interest at the moment. I think it's presumptious to think Real Madrid aren't or won't be interested. I can't see Real Madrid going into a new season with Benzema as their only senior striker. Ancelotti will want another striker (with Barca under a new manager and having spunked 50mil on Neymar, Madrid will sign a big name striker too imo).

Until Real Madrid sign another striker, from an Arsenal point of view, I'd be very wary of Real Madrid. There's still another 5 weeks of the transfer window (and the Suarez saga) and seeing how desperate Liverpool are to keep Suarez, no doubt this will drag on for another month..

Do you think Suarez is worth 40mil +5mil in add-ons to Arsenal?
    Well Marca are normally clued up on RM and said they wouldnt sign LS 'even if he begged'. The suggestion is that they have 2 **** hot youngsters who they're fasttracking as Benzema's understudies, which would surprise me but if the young guys are good enough then why not?

Even if RM get involved, will they pay anywhere near as much as we will? I know it sounds ridiculous, but Arsenal are actually in a considerably stronger financial position than RM.

If they offered 30m and we offered 45m then I think its obvious hell end up at AFC. On Lewandowski, I see BVB selling him before the end of the window. I'm sure he'd take RM given the chance and he'd only cost about 20m as well. Ibra might fancy working with Ancelotti again too.

On pure footballing ability, there is no doubt that Suarez is worth around 40m+5m, 50m is a touch on the excessive side though. Of course he is a nutjob who cant control himself so that's really the only worry. He's the kind of player Arsenal have never really had, and I'm not sure you can appreciate how good he is until you see him live. I've seen him live about 10 times now and his movement, persistence and general nuisance is only really comparable to Tevez at his best. His finishing is dependable and he has that winners mentality that makes him do what it takes to win. He is also the kind of player who can score goals from nowhere with his dribbling ability, which is invaluable in an Arsenal side which is too predictable these days. Also,in an Arsenal side full of 'nice guys', I think that's the kind of player who would finally bring some trophies in(consider the 2-2 draw with Chelsea where after biting Ivanovic he simply went and scored the final goal in the 96th minute for example, completely focused). From that perspective, he's worth 45m to us, hard to imagine a better player AFC could attract atm.

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure Lewandowski rejected Real Madrid already, no?

ReputationRep:
    Do you think Arsenal should be spending/committing 50mil to one player? Surely Arsenal would be better to add two players for 25mil to the team? Would Suarez improve the team to the tune of 45/50mil?
    I think that would be impossible to answer until he starts playing for us. But if I had to predict I'd say that he would. Players you can get for 20 million nowadays are kind of meh. Especially if they're English :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    why would we buy 2 25mill players, Soldado is a £25mill player and frankly id rather buy no one instead using giroud and saving wages than buy that quality of player because we won't improve the first team by that much

ReputationRep:
    Good match

I can't put into word how much I love podolski

ReputationRep:

I agree, I don't understand this talk that Liverpool are miles off 4th. If people are this confident put some money on it. It was like 1/2 I think that they won't get CL (same odds as Spurs I know). Liverpool weren't far off last season and have further strengthened since (Both recent windows especially). Yes, they are outsiders (20% chance at the moment which decreases by 10% if Suarez goes IMO) but if the squads don't change much for Liverpool and arsenal now I don't see a huge difference between them anymore. I know a lot of fans are adamant Liverpool aren't worth considering fr 4th so I would be interested to hear a rational answer against what I have said, rather than the negs I would usually get for saying something like this.

It's going to be a fascinating season anyway. Will be interesting to see where arsenal strengthen. Rooney is a perfect signing but won't happen. I really can't see Suarez happening too for a number of reasons so what striker will arsenal go for? That is clearly a position you really need to go world class for along with a DM (making me laugh on here how many people are saying Fellini. Yes he might prefer DM but fact is he has performed vastly better up the field and doesn't warrant a 20m+ price tag or his DM capabilities and won't strengthen Arsenal to the level arsenal need in that position.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Massive credit to the Asian fans they made the tour great. They are as good as any English fan perhaps even better.

ReputationRep:
    The funniest situation would be Suarez going to Arsenal for CL football, and then not even qualifying.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with this. Apparently their target is Bale, but AVB said today that he's in talks to renew his contract. Really don't see him leaving this summer and if Real can't get Bale then Suarez is an obvious choice.

(Original post by The Assassin)
    I'm pretty sure Lewandowski rejected Real Madrid already, no?
    I heard this too. Plus Klopp said like last week that Lewandowski would play for Bayern next season. And tbh, given how ridiculous this silly season has been (not to mention all the hype he got at the end of last season) if there was even the slimmest chance of him leaving Dortmund this summer he'd have been constantly linked to pretty much every top team going, but all the rumours regarding him subsided pretty early on. Surprised people keep mentioning him really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sevchenko)
    Massive credit to the Asian fans they made the tour great. They are as good as any English fan perhaps even better.
    Well a good 15% of home Emirates fans arent even gooners when you account for Corporate types and tourists whilst another 25% of Islington's finest yuppies consider singing/making an atmosphere to be in bad taste. Toss in the women who generally dont sing and youve got 30,000 people who may as well be watching a Tennis match(and probably wish they were...)

So hard to judge really.

The Asian fans have been good, but for many itll be the only time theyll ever watch AFC so theyll have made the most of it. In truth the club just sees them as cows to be milked.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    The Asian fans have been good, but for many itll be the only time theyll ever watch AFC so theyll have made the most of it. In truth the club just sees them as cows to be milked.
    lol, doesn't that apply to all Arsenal fans, USA and Australia are untapped I bet Ivan has already started making plans.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.express.co.uk/sport/footb...-Santi-Cazorla

I'd be incredibly surprised and a tad disappointed if this happened.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.