username1524603
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
Do you have a hat to eat?
(Original post by talentedlobster)
I shall quote you on this when it get's announced tonight. I expect a video of the event, if you're not right.
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
Marzipan or actual?And will you record and upload it?
I shall confirm which hat I would have devoured after the coalition has been announced. I hope I am not wrong or I will go down in House of Commons history as the biggest loser.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
I shall confirm which hat I would have devoured after the coalition has been announced. I hope I am not wrong or I will go down in House of Commons history as the biggest loser.
And I expect a Farage mask!

Listening to Hunt on Breakfast (or whatever it's called these days) and the bloke in the newsroom said something about Nurse striking
WHY THE HELL are healthcare workers allowed to strike?!
username1524603
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
And I expect a Farage mask!

Listening to Hunt on Breakfast (or whatever it's called these days) and the bloke in the newsroom said something about Nurse striking
WHY THE HELL are healthcare workers allowed to strike?!
I believe no public sector workers should not have the right to strike and all should be prevented form joining a trade union. Nurses with a gold-plated pension are greedy, they want more, and they want more at the taxpayers' expense. I think the government needs to take a Thatcherite approach to strikers and trade unions to put them in line again.
honeywell17
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I believe no public sector workers should not have the right to strike and all should be prevented form joining a trade union. Nurses with a gold-plated pension are greedy, they want more, and they want more at the taxpayers' expense. I think the government needs to take a Thatcherite approach to strikers and trade unions to put them in line again.
Everyone should be allowed to strike, it's a basic human right… it's the governments duty to reach compromise , not to ban it
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by honeywell17)
Everyone should be allowed to strike, it's a basic human right… it's the governments duty to reach compromise , not to ban it
Though I see your point, while they strike over getting a little more pay, people are being admitted to hospitals.

Or the tube drivers that strike. 120-odd people can hold the whole of London to ransom because they don't get paid enough for sitting on their asses.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by PetrosAC)
Though I see your point, while they strike over getting a little more pay, people are being admitted to hospitals.

Or the tube drivers that strike. 120-odd people can hold the whole of London to ransom because they don't get paid enough for sitting on their asses.

Posted from TSR Mobile
But should we just be allowed to pay them dirt? The way public service strikes work especially in the cases of hospitals, people who aren't in urgent need aren't seen but if someone's life is in jeopardy the strike stops.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It is not a human right. Next thing you'll be saying a job is a basic human right

Posted from TSR Mobile
username456717
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Everyone should be allowed to join a union - regardless of being in the public or private sector.
wizardtop
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Joe replaced Nebelbon earlier this term.
So you decided as a party to allow more newer members who are more active to become MPs this term Nigel Farage
username456717
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by wizardtop)
So you decided as a party to allow more newer members who are more active to become MPs this term Nigel Farage
I told them I didn't want a seat and they chose 7 of the best members to become MPs. We could fill many more seats with good and active members.
Airmed
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
*stumbles into the bar carrying messy Religion notes* Evening all, what's being served drink wise?
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I disagree, they should retain the right to strike, and the unions should remain, but the power of the unions needs further decreasing (tbh, including finding some way that McLusky can't hold Labour to ransom) and making it much harder to strike legally.
username456717
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I disagree, they should retain the right to strike, and the unions should remain, but the power of the unions needs further decreasing (tbh, including finding some way that McLusky can't hold Labour to ransom) and making it much harder to strike legally.
Why?

Are you talking about public or private unions?

Have you ever been part of a union?

Have you ever had a job?
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by nebelbon)
Why?

Are you talking about public or private unions?

Have you ever been part of a union?

Have you ever had a job?
Both, strictly I am, not that I was given much choice in the matter, yes.
username456717
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Both, strictly I am, not that I was given much choice in the matter, yes.
Private unions are a necessity.

You're obviously very lucky in your job if you believe a union isn't required.
honeywell17
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm very angry with Len McCluskey, but it is important to note he was voted for by over 140,000 people and represents a few million trade unionists
wizardtop
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I told them I didn't want a seat and they chose 7 of the best members to become MPs. We could fill many more seats with good and active members.
Oh I see thanks for explaining nebelbon.It was a shame Real Life UKIP didn't do so well and only retain one Mp despite the party receiving 4 million votes
username456717
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by wizardtop)
Oh I see thanks for explaining nebelbon.It was a shame Real Life UKIP didn't do so well and only retain one Mp despite the party receiving 4 million votes
It is a great shame; it furthers the cause for voting reform which is good.

It is good to see you back here.
bun
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Should do a Reagan. Sack them if they go on strike with unreasonable demands. Plenty of unemployed would jump at the chance to get a job whatever the pay, so they're easily replaceable. If you don't get people going for the now available jobs, then it shows they were being paid too little and you raise the salary in the future.
Slightly trickier with healthcare workers / teachers as these need more training so can't just parachute any tom, **** or harry in. Teachers have no reason to strike though - never have.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Private unions are a necessity.

You're obviously very lucky in your job if you believe a union isn't required.
I'm not the one that says that there should be no unions, just that their power needs further reducing.

I'm very angry with Len McCluskey, but it is important to note he was voted for by over 140,000 people and represents a few million trade unionists
Democratic, yes (I assume), but this is exactly what the problem with the unions are: so many people are part of them but only because they might need it, but otherwise don't really give a ****. How bad was that election turnout? Just like most strike ballots, dreadful (although clearly worse than dreadful).
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (157)
59.25%
No I haven't decided yet (62)
23.4%
Yes but I might change my mind (46)
17.36%

Watched Threads