Oxford Applicants for 2012 Entry Watch

This discussion is closed.
infintywhirls
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Ray of Light)
The dad emailing everyone to say sorry was the highlight I think.
Can you imagine how he told his dad? "Uh, dad, I may have leaked your mobile number to 20,000 people...." Awkward...haha.
manic_fuzz
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Ah, looking at everyone's parents' with interesting degrees just makes me feel strange for being the first person that i know with-in my family who plans on going to uni

(Original post by yanimus)
x
I hear that Wadham is really friendly and accepting, not that the others aren't though. Have you tried looking at the Alternative Prospectus?
coodooloo
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by hannahwhelan)
You got more A's at GCSE than I did, and I'm applying for English Don't worry about it too much, if you do well in the ELAT and have a good PS/reference, then they should counter-balance your "below average" GCSE's (which are actually rather good!).
Hi,
thanks for putting me to ease. Also, I saw your post on ELAT so perhaps we should discuss texts on there. I think that may be quite helpful: see this thread I made: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1757946
anyone_can_fly
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by manic_fuzz)
Ah, looking at everyone's parents' with interesting degrees just makes me feel strange for being the first person that i know with-in my family who plans on going to uni
:hugs: Don't worry, I'm sure you're a long long way from being the only one. I think only the three of us mentioned it, anyway.
manic_fuzz
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by anyone_can_fly)
:hugs: Don't worry, I'm sure you're a long long way from being the only one. I think only the three of us mentioned it, anyway.
Both very good points!

Ah, I'm going to try and get an early (well, earlier than usual) night tonight :rolleyes:
punctuation
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi guys! Today I went to a 'study abroad' fair... last year they had UCL, York, and Bristol, whom I wanted to talk to... except this time they only had Kent and Oxford Brookes in terms of English unis... :| Damn... I really wanted to decide on my last UCAS choice!
fluteflute
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by hannahwhelan)
Do you reckon Oxford know that their mailing lists are so insecure? Hopefully someone has reported it!
Oxford admissions will discover when they go into work this morning...

(Original post by anyone_can_fly)
It's hilarious to read, but I have to say I'm glad my webmail lists it as one email and isn't telling me I've got >100 new messages!
Snap! There was one from a Jess, that wasn't you was it?

(Original post by Reminisce)
This email thing is so bloody hilarious.

And the fact is that these are perhaps Oxford applicants...
If it does actually put anyone of applying.... less competition for us
soutioirsim
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
****ing emails....
Unconventional.
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The e-mails were slightly amusing at first but now they're just pissing me off! -.-
Quercus1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm applying to read History at Oxford or Cambridge this year. I'm applying post A-Level ( I got an A* in History, an A* in French, an A in Economics, a B in Chemistry). The thing is, I really don't know to which one I should apply. I'm worried that I shall fail the H.A.T again and won't have a chance to show myself at interview where I excel (this isn't the time to be modest!). Logically this means I should apply to Cambridge where there is no H.A.T whic stands in the way of getting an interview. My heart is in Oxford though, but my head tells me to go to Cambridge. What should I do? I can't afford to fail at the first hurdle again becuase this is the second time I'm applying!

I need a quick reply since I need to send my application to school for processing by the end of the day.

Thanks.
shoshin
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Quercus1)
I'm applying to read History at Oxford or Cambridge this year. I'm applying post A-Level ( I got an A* in History, an A* in French, an A in Economics, a B in Chemistry). The thing is, I really don't know to which one I should apply. I'm worried that I shall fail the H.A.T again and won't have a chance to show myself at interview where I excel (this isn't the time to be modest!). Logically this means I should apply to Cambridge where there is no H.A.T whic stands in the way of getting an interview. My heart is in Oxford though, but my head tells me to go to Cambridge. What should I do? I can't afford to fail at the first hurdle again becuase this is the second time I'm applying!

I need a quick reply since I need to send my application to school for processing by the end of the day.

Thanks.
It's not really a question of 'failing' the HAT, because many of those who don't make the cut will still have got a reasonable score; 50 wouldn't usually get you an interview for example, but that's not a 'fail' in an ordinary exam.

Did you find out your score last time? If you were close, and know where you probably went wrong (missed a whole question? didn't prepare with a past paper?) then I would say it's worth another shot at Oxford, if it's where your heart is.

This is not to say that strategically choosing Cambridge instead of Oxford in order to avoid the HAT is always a poor approach in terms of maximising your chances, particularly if you have excellent UMS and don't like the look of the HAT at all. But I'm just saying that fear of being deselected by the HAT prior to interview should not in itself be the determining factor. The way I would look at it is that only the 'bottom' 25% or so are eliminated by the HAT, whereas only 25% or so of applicants will ultimately get an offer from Oxford. Even though Cambridge has a different admissions approach, I would argue that a Cambridge offer holder will tend to be someone who would have in any case successfully negotiated the HAT.

Good luck
Hanuman
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi, I'm trying to choose a college, I'm applying for English and I've narrowed it down to either Christ Church or Magdalen...has anyone got any advice?
Schlegel
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
OK, finally decided to apply for oxford PPE as a joke choice-except they won't allow me to because of my grades...got AABC at AS(C is remarking) and predicted AAAAA or AAAAB. I think I will probably be rejected but that wouldn't be too bad as I've pretty much had my heart set on edinburgh and warwick. Feel so good not to have argue with myself any more.

What do you do it school won't tell your predictions? I'm not sure of one and that is history!
Quercus1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Hanuman)
Hi, I'm trying to choose a college, I'm applying for English and I've narrowed it down to either Christ Church or Magdalen...has anyone got any advice?
Well, Rightly or wrongly Magdalen and Christ Church are both very public-schooly, think about that before you apply. Magdalen is very competitive for English, however I know someone who applied there last year and got pooled to Jesus. Christ Church is full of international applicants who pay £30,000 to get in etc. How good are your grades? If you really are the elite of the elite, then you should have a go.

I don't know how your choosing your college but don't make the mistake I made last year! I went for beautiful architure and manicured lawns. Apparently after a week, this effect wears off, and want you really need to consider instead is the sort of community you get at the college. Good luck wherever you choose to go
saeyan
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Had a good hard look at my first-draft PS today and found it was really terrible! Time to rewrite like mad and hope to submit it to the helpers by tomorrow.
InspectorSophie
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Just trying to double check. Is the balliol (for PPE) college UCAS campus code 'O'?
Zoedotdot
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I can't actually remember if I ever told you my brainwave about the spreadsheet before I went away, but here it is:

Have any of you seen the Medicine Applicants Stalking Page on the wiki? I was thinking that we could possibly set up something like that. It would still need somebody to maintain it, but if there were instructions for adding yourself in the first post it would hopefully work. It certainly works very well for the medics, and there are far more of them than of you! One of the medicine mods has volunteered to help me out with setting it up and teach me/whoever how to use it.

The advantage of this over the spreadsheet is that if it is vandalised we are more able to find out who it is, and because it is on TSR we can actually take action. Because the spreadsheet is on google docs it's outside of our remit, so even if we did know who it was I couldn't do anything about it.

Anyway, have a think and let me know if you think it's a good idea
Schlegel
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by InspectorSophie)
Just trying to double check. Is the balliol (for PPE) college UCAS campus code 'O'?
You should be able to see on ucas. And yes it is an O.
Unconventional.
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by saeyan)
Had a good hard look at my first-draft PS today and found it was really terrible! Time to rewrite like mad and hope to submit it to the helpers by tomorrow.
I'm on my third draft of my PS (I know most people don't even get to that many but I've been struggling with mine), hoping to get my UCAS mentor at school to look at it for me soon and feed back to me. She is also my French teacher so hopefully that can be done later in the week, although we have an inset day on Friday...I'd like to be able to work on it AGAIN over the weekend.

I'm really having a problem with the line/character limit. I'm basically just struggling to cut it down to the limit and I feel that every time I cut down words I'm just making it more robotic and losing the original passion that it conveyed in the beginning. :/
Chr0n
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Unconventional.)
I'm really having a problem with the line/character limit. I'm basically just struggling to cut it down to the limit and I feel that every time I cut down words I'm just making it more robotic and losing the original passion that it conveyed in the beginning. :/
Ya the character limit sucks.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (205)
18.69%
No (665)
60.62%
Not really bothered about them (227)
20.69%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed