Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    For real?

Why don't you get a weekend job somewhere, you'll earn at least that an hour.
    I'm going to try after exams, and I do some jobs on a sunday, it's not like massive labour or anything
    (Original post by Bude8)
    1500 followers, shut up
    :teehee: I don't hang out with ALL of them (bar a lot at the football)
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Aurorae)
    Yep, but I'm planning to divert some of my investment money towards a start-up so hopefully I can stop taking their revenue.

My only concern with not using parents money would be the tuition fees and living costs in America. Even if I sold most of my investments, used my savings etc. I doubt I could cover two years there. :eek:
    Told you I was more of a long term guy. On the investment simulator I was down by ~$3,500, now i'm out of the red and have made $5,000 in gains from just leaving my positions open.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Tech/Web one. I have more knowledge in that regard than with the traditional 'fixed to the ground' businesses which is probably my parents speciality.

Looking primarily at Harvard (haha), but wouldn't mind Stanford or MIT.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    So casual, as if Stanford and MIT don't have 6.6% and 8.9% acceptance rates receptively.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Tech/Web one. I have more knowledge in that regard than with the traditional 'fixed to the ground' businesses which is probably my parents speciality.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    We could be co-founders ! I am also thinking about starting one and I know some basic programming and web development already.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    This thread is pretty quiet today. This just shows how much of a social life I have, meh.

ReputationRep:
    Bit of both, I have to become her slave and wash everything, iron everything and basically have no life on saturdays because of all the work. I get it from making graphics for companies, web design and trading.
    Fair enough, I do my own cleaning and washing etc and we are allocated work when my mother is irate on a weekend and wants to throw around power.
    Oh nice - how did you go about getting a job like that?
    I was offered a few months ago money to make something for someone on TSR in a PM and I was like - no, I have mountains of coursework but ty (which i did at the time)
    (Original post by MattFletcher)
    *coughs* £800 a year for college bus

I think so. The rail/underground lines?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Still - you live in a city! Everything is more though but yeah i guess it's worse for you still. It's just a bit of a shock for people when your bus doubles in price as we swapped bus companies and the new owner is a ****

:eek:

I guess I'm more 'subsidised' than you then. I don't need to pay for food but do need to pay for any public transport and expenses such as my phone, laptop etc. as well as self-financing my investment accounts. It's generally easy for me because I don't like spending money unnecessarily. :/

General sources of income include dividends and value growth from investments, payment for working with my parents during weekends and a very small proportion of income from the business.
    I am the same for any personal expenses such as my pc, phone, public transport as in going to see friends - but that makes sense.

I wish i could play the stock market - jealous :sigh:
    (Original post by Vionar)
    I'm just hoping I can get them to pay for it somehow, and they are the closest colleges, so I can't exactly just go somewhere else.

Yeah, an explanation's above if you really want to know more!
    if they are catchment area they should be free/subsidised?

Looking primarily at Harvard (haha), but wouldn't mind Stanford or MIT.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You would need a LOT of money to go to Stanford! Unlike the rest it's not need-blind.

I want to apply to Harvard, Chicago, Princeton, Amherst and a few others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bluffroom)
    Happy birthday :woo: get anything nice?
    Never do get anything lol, but I got myself a Paypal account, which is what I really wanted to do some proper dealing online .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xmarksthesh0t)
    Never do get anything lol, but I got myself a Paypal account, which is what I really wanted to do some proper dealing online .
    How come? :sad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elm Tree)
    It was for a controlled assessment We can only do it in class
    Ooh, what board are you on?
    We did one last year and finished the one for this year

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, someone cheer me up!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vionar)
    Surrey, and just outside greater London I'm not even in zone six (does anyone actually know what I'm talking about with zones?)
    Yaha! I live in zone... 2 i think.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xmarksthesh0t)
    ¡Feliz Cumpleaños!!!! Happy Birthday!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    if they are catchment area they should be free/subsidised?
    I think one of them might be, and the other one I don't know, but I think I saw something on their website about travel stuff, I'll almost definitely be getting a job, and that should decrease the amount my parents would have to pay.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Told you I was more of a long term guy. On the investment simulator I was down by ~$3,500, now i'm out of the red and have made $5,000 in gains from just leaving my positions open.
    I haven't touched the simulator in days and I'm a short-term guy. Good enough a lead that I don't need to look at it for weeks and still stay in the lead.

So casual, as if Stanford and MIT don't have 6.6% and 8.9% acceptance rates receptively.
    I'm ambitious, don't kill my dreams. :emo: :moon:

We could be co-founders ! I am also thinking about starting one and I know some basic programming and web development already.
    I think I'm sorted on the web development front, and my Chinese heritage means I have an excellent supplier network in Asia.

I am the same for any personal expenses such as my pc, phone, public transport as in going to see friends - but that makes sense.

I wish i could play the stock market - jealous :sigh:
    Stock Markets offer excellent-looking potentials for making a profit but it will still depend on your appetite for risk.

You would need a LOT of money to go to Stanford! Unlike the rest it's not need-blind.

I want to apply to Harvard, Chicago, Princeton, Amherst and a few others.
    Like I said before, my parents are willing to help with the tuition fees and living costs there. If I do study in America, I'd be living like I only had a few dollars.

edit: See Princepieman's link. In reality it's cheaper than you think to study there.

ReputationRep:
    How come? :sad:
    As a Muslim, I don't really celebrate it lol.
    But usually I get the things I need and I am getting the S4 so I think I am okay, I just get gifts randomly.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by L'Evil Fish)
    Hi guys, someone cheer me up!
    What did the fish say when he slammed into a concrete blockade?

Damn!

ReputationRep:

Damn!
    Damn, that wasn't funny

How is everyone then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jina)
    ¡Feliz Cumpleaños!!!! Happy Birthday!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    thanks, but really did not want attention, just so happy I can do more when im 16 :P.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jina)
    Yaha! I live in zone... 2 i think.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't live in any zone But the local council elections may change that.

Damn!
    I thought that was funny, but I find most jokes with any element of puns in them funny!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team

Lies. According to this: https://oacac.memberclicks.net/asset...ntfinaid09.pdf
    Stanford's average aid package is $51,187 per year.

Before you become too uninformed about financial aid, read my sticky on this page: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=227

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.