Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C0balt)
    Even if I am not successful with Cambridge I am glad that I decided to aim for Cambridge because it is definitely making me work more than I would had I not decided to go for it.

If I even chose Oxford, I wouldn't revise as hard because getting 4As wouldn't be hard as I paid attention in lessons and made sure to understand as I go. I wouldn't in fact do as many past papers or make notes. But because there's this thing called UMS I have been able to bring myself to work more than I would have.

Thank you Cambridge :ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    yeah exactly what i was thinking! when i do past papers i always look at the UMS and check if its high enough. Even if i don't get the grades for Cambridge, I will have secured a strong A which opens doors to so many other unis. Oh how much i want to go to Cambridge though! :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Even if it doesn't go as well as hoped we'd still have relatively high UMS which will make next year easier too, so win-win here haha:top:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Its worryingly easy to get an A in something if you got a 95% average at as. If you got 95% at as in a subject you would need 65% at a2 to get an A. Although obviously if you want an A* you still need 90% across a2 units

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone on here doing OCR physics A?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheKhaleesi)
    yeah exactly what i was thinking! when i do past papers i always look at the UMS and check if its high enough. Even if i don't get the grades for Cambridge, I will have secured a strong A which opens doors to so many other unis. Oh how much i want to go to Cambridge though! :lol:
    Yeah same haha UMS converter is now a most visited page along with past paper page and TSR :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samb1234)
    Its worryingly easy to get an A in something if you got a 95% average at as. If you got 95% at as in a subject you would need 65% at a2 to get an A. Although obviously if you want an A* you still need 90% across a2 units

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Lol seriously?
    It would be hard to stay motivated next year then, if you don't get an offer with A* in it although I assume everyone here is applying to A* requirement uni elsewhere too

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah same haha UMS converter is now a most visited page along with past paper page and TSR :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Those are literally my only bookmarks now

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Even if I am not successful with Cambridge I am glad that I decided to aim for Cambridge because it is definitely making me work more than I would had I not decided to go for it.

If I even chose Oxford, I wouldn't revise as hard because getting 4As wouldn't be hard as I paid attention in lessons and made sure to understand as I go. I wouldn't in fact do as many past papers or make notes. But because there's this thing called UMS I have been able to bring myself to work more than I would have.

Thank you Cambridge :ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Exactly what I thought, summed it up really . I wouldn't have minded too much previously except getting 4As but now I'm doing so much more revision, especially for C1 lol. UMS is driving me mad though ahah

ReputationRep:
    Lol seriously?
    It would be hard to stay motivated next year then, if you don't get an offer with A* in it although I assume everyone here is applying to A* requirement uni elsewhere too

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yep. An a is 80% ums over all the modules and then if you have 80% average and 90% across a2 you get an a*. Slightly annoying that your as grades don't really make it easier to get an a* but oh well

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nurav11)
    Exactly what I thought, summed it up really . I wouldn't have minded too much previously except getting 4As but now I'm doing so much more revision, especially for C1 lol. UMS is driving me mad though ahah
    Thinking of results day makes me a bit sad. We cannot jump around and hug people as soon as we see 4As. Instead we would be pulling our calculators out before finally (hopefully) scream out of joy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thinking of results day makes me a bit sad. We cannot jump around and hug people as soon as we see 4As. Instead we would be pulling our calculators out before finally (hopefully) scream out of joy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not if you see a sheet littered with the number 100 all over

Yep. An a is 80% ums over all the modules and then if you have 80% average and 90% across a2 you get an a*. Slightly annoying that your as grades don't really make it easier to get an a* but oh well

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah I thought that all the UMS gained this year is added on for the overall A-Level. Turned out I was wrong :erm:

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This is true... It'll be quite sad aswell as we may well be disappointed at an '85' mark in one module (which will not happen of course ), but it will sound so nice to say '100' in anything (first have to get it though )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wawasan)
    Well it's a bit hard with /120 subjects
    Not if you see 120 everywhere though:awesome:

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by Wawasan)
    100/150 for OCR chemistry unit 2? :no:

:lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by enaayrah)
    Yeah I thought that all the UMS gained this year is added on for the overall A-Level. Turned out I was wrong :erm:
    It is but it doesn't contribute to a* (unless you take some a2 maths units this year)

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by JustWondered)
    Is anyone on here doing OCR physics A?
    Yep, how are you feeling about it? I think I know the content but not feeling as prepared as I'd like yet .

It is but it doesn't contribute to a* (unless you take some a2 maths units this year)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I see

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

So at least 80 percent above at AS and 90 percent at A2 mean A* overall?

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    And is it an average of the A2 grades that has to be over 90 UMS or that both have to be over 90? (So is 80/100 allowed or does it have to be 90/90?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kadak)
    Posted from TSR Mobile

So at least 80 percent above at AS and 90 percent at A2 mean A* overall?
    No. 80% average out of all of the modules gets you an a and then if you have 90% across a2 you get a* eg if you got 60% at as and then 100% at a2 you would get a*. So in all honesty as far as getting an a* is concerned 95% ums in as is no better than 70%

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.