Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I just got an offer from Durham for Law, I am one step closer to my fate of being an Oxford-reject at Durham

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if being unable to attend interviews in person affects the chances of admission? I can't afford to fly halfway around the world, and the admissions tutor didn't tell me if they do skype interviews or not even though I asked specifically...I'm just nervous that they'll decide not to shortlist me because of that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aquaxo)
    I just got an offer from Durham for Law, I am one step closer to my fate of being an Oxford-reject at Durham
    Haha I just got an offer for chemistry from Durham so I'm same as you! 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ohdarlin)
    Does anyone know if being unable to attend interviews in person affects the chances of admission? I can't afford to fly halfway around the world, and the admissions tutor didn't tell me if they do skype interviews or not even though I asked specifically...I'm just nervous that they'll decide not to shortlist me because of that.
    I think (I might be wrong) medicine is the only subject that everyone has to be at Oxford for the interview, irrespective if you're an international applicant or not. All other subjects should allow skype interviews.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crastle)
    History applicants please help:

I wrote about a book on my personal statement which ive only just started reading and i literally dont understand it at all - will this hinder me in an interview

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That wasn't a great idea.... The book review suggestion is cunning but might not get you very far if they decide to pounce on that book - or at least it would take some skill to deviate away and I reckon they'd spot it Which college are you applying for? Some say on their website what form the history interviews will take and from that you'll see that some don't ask questions based on the personal statement at al - you might be lucky and get a thirty page barely intelligible source paper instead

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charleethompson)
    English Lit, Drama and Art so probably not the strongest
    What about you?
    I did English lit, drama and RS so I'd say your subjects are fine tbh (fellow English applicant here for Brasenose)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonwithnoname)
    I did English lit, drama and RS so I'd say your subjects are fine tbh (fellow English applicant here for Brasenose)
    Ahaha that's good to hear!! I was worrying everyone had taken History or Languages
    Best of luck

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charleethompson)
    Ahaha that's good to hear!! I was worrying everyone had taken History or Languages
    Best of luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you, you too - I think most of the English applicants are hanging out on the ELAT thread if you (and any other English applicants reading this) want to join us over there

ReputationRep:
    Got an interview!!!!!!

I wish lol

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone get an intervirew invitation/rejection email this morning? I think they may have forgotten about my application...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForeignStudent32)
    Didnt you already got one? Are you the law guy or the mat guy?
    I is History and Politics!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaxReid)
    I is History and Politics!
    Grammar Level: 11 out of 10. Verdict: Oxford material

ReputationRep:
    You're really rude. I'm not even going to bother defending myself because I can't take you seriously.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah that was harsh. Anyway, just read the book! Understand as best you can, and read around bits you don't get. Or ask a teacher or somebody.

This may be bad advice - maybe somebody that has sat a history interview would correct me - but I don't think they are expecting you to know any book from front to back. You would be expected to know the overall argument, and to be able to expand on bits of it - i.e. the bits you mentioned in your statement, or the bits you mention when they ask you what you found interesting about it.

Basically, just develop an opinion on an aspect of the book. I'm sure you can do that, even if some of its is tricky.

ReputationRep:
    But if he has difficulty understanding difficult text, he would have a lot of difficulty during the interview no matter what they chose to do. Unless they gave him like politcal cartoons, but come on, this is not kindergarten so that is not likely :P
    Tell my man shut up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Grammar Level: 11 out of 10. Verdict: Oxford material
    Yeah, this coming from somebody who a few posts back said: 'Didnt you already got one'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nancy97)
    Did anyone get an intervirew invitation/rejection email this morning? I think they may have forgotten about my application...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    They still have another week or so to decide! TSR person said that you shouldn't get ur hopes up from not receiving one this morning and that it could be anytime...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MouseyBrown)
    Yeah, this coming from somebody who a few posts back said: 'Didnt you already got one'.
    Um, you are being too uptight. It's a joke lol

I am pretty sure even MaxReid typed it that way on purpose.

ReputationRep:
    However, it is probably that something high school student would read - perhaps a suggest reading. Because the OP even though not very clever would probably not put a book that he has never read or not even the slightest idea about.
    Well obviously you haven't a clue on either score FS32.

OP if all else fails and they ask you about this book just say you found it tough going; it's not a crime.

ReputationRep:
    You're really rude. I'm not even going to bother defending myself because I can't take you seriously.
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Lol, which book is it? Maybe somebody here on this thread has read it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Irwin)
    Well obviously you haven't a clue on either score FS32.

OP if all else fails and they ask you about this book just say you found it tough going; it's not a crime.
    what is either score FS32?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.