Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    For my interview on Weds I have to prepare an hour and a half lesson plan, but only deliver the first 25 mins. They want the lesson plan to show 1.5 hrs of the lesson, but do you think I am okay preparing my powerpoint for only the 25 mins I have to deliver?
    I would round off the PowerPoint t as a whole. I actually think k that's a nice way to do it as it doesn't force you to condense a whole lesson in to a tiny slot. I would imagine that most of the info and hence PowerPoint will be in the first 25 right? So you would only need to add plenary stuff to the ppt anyway?

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tory88)
    I could have written your posts. I've also always been complimented on my relationships with classes, and that's what I use to control them. But with a year 8 class I just haven't been able to develop that; I found out when I was particularly annoyed with them that their normal teacher lets them do what they want and doesn't really teach them (which would explain why this 'top set' is significantly underachieving). I think with some classes it's just a case of pupils knowing that you're a student teacher (and let's be honest, they almost all do) and so not really caring about their relationship with you - this really clicked for me yesterday when a girl got up in the middle of my lesson to ask the normal class teacher to go outside to have a drink after I'd just said no, and she responded "bu you're not my teacher" after having taken them for 2 months...

I can't see why that would be an issue - planning for something you simply won't be teaching is just a waste of time.
    That's the thing, they so all know you're new and inexperienced which is the main reason why they don't listen, I think. I don't think there's much we can do about that, except hope that our mentors understand!

(Original post by kpwxx)
    I would round off the PowerPoint t as a whole. I actually think k that's a nice way to do it as it doesn't force you to condense a whole lesson in to a tiny slot. I would imagine that most of the info and hence PowerPoint will be in the first 25 right? So you would only need to add plenary stuff to the ppt anyway?

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You mean round off the powerpoint as in just do 25 mins for the powerpoint? Definitely not most of the info in the first 25 mins. I am doing a lesson on monetary policy (Economics A-Level) and there are three components to monetary policy, and I am going to touch on the first one. The rest of the lesson would be going over the other two and then a plenary, so there is a lot missing but hopefully they will understand that. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Airfairy. For your lesson I would start with clearly setting out your learning Intentions and discussing how they will know if they have been successful. You will need to elicit their prior knowledge through discussion (probably through the...think, pair, share...model. Then think about how you want them to learn- just going through a PowerPoint for the whole lesson would probably not lead to sufficient learning. Are thy reading and discussing in pairs, highlighting information, engaging with vocabulary etc and reporting back to share their learning with the class? It will need to be active I would think. How do you select who will answer? How will they record their learnings??

Hope this helps a bit.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    For my interview on Weds I have to prepare an hour and a half lesson plan, but only deliver the first 25 mins. They want the lesson plan to show 1.5 hrs of the lesson, but do you think I am okay preparing my powerpoint for only the 25 mins I have to deliver?
    I would prepare the entire thing. Just so the lesson plan and resources match up.

I'm not for a second saying that things will go wrong(!) but if they do, in your interview afterwards, you will have more evidence (as well as your lesson plan) to show what your intentions were and provide a basis for discussion on that.

ReputationRep:
    I got the job in the end! Very happy!

(Original post by kpwxx)
    Head teachers will likely be checking and sending emails every Sunday so that in itself is not unusual. I would try not to read too much in to it, its probably just that s/he knows other jobs may come up and wants you to know things are happening. It could mean many things though, so just continue as you would have. It doesn't mean you have an interview but it does sound promising

I'd also take her offer of a visit up if you have a chance, as it reflects well on you, gives you a chance to impress them and show your passion and gives you a chance to check out the school more!

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yesterday marked my last day teaching on the PGCE. All I have left is my research project and a 2k word essay and then it is all over! Sigh of relief!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by camcam88)
    Yesterday marked my last day teaching on the PGCE. All I have left is my research project and a 2k word essay and then it is all over! Sigh of relief!
    Woop! Congrats. Im on the 2 week countdown to the end of placement and my last ever day as a teacher. Cant wait!!!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I'm really starting to freak out. I'm not ready to finish yet. I have so much left to do and I've spent the entire day worried absolutely sick about everything.

ReputationRep:
    It has gone so fast hasn't it?

(Original post by Ratchit99)
    Woop! Congrats. Im on the 2 week countdown to the end of placement and my last ever day as a teacher. Cant wait!!!

ReputationRep:
    Think about how far you have come! No one is ready but we will continue to learn as we go. Similar to being a parent for the first time. You have your training (reading week by week pregnancy books etc). You finish your training when your due date is near but you panic "will I know how to do this and that?". Finally when baby arrives you learn how to be the best because you have to, your NQT year.

(Original post by ParadoxSocks)
    I'm really starting to freak out. I'm not ready to finish yet. I have so much left to do and I've spent the entire day worried absolutely sick about everything.

ReputationRep:
    It has gone so fast hasn't it?
    It has, i was really sceptical when i started to struggle but now im crapping myself! Lol

ReputationRep:
    How long does everyone have left? Can't believe you only have two weeks left, Ratchit. Soooo jealous.

I finish on the 19th of June. Total five weeks of placement left. Seems like ages but I know it will go fast. Like others though, it feels like there is so much to be done, including trying to get a job!

ReputationRep:
    How long does everyone have left? Can't believe you only have two weeks left, Ratchit. Soooo jealous.

I finish on the 19th of June. Total five weeks of placement left. Seems like ages but I know it will go fast. Like others though, it feels like there is so much to be done, including trying to get a job!
    Sorry if its any consolation i have 3 weeks of uni after half term including another assignment so im not totally done yet! But i will be glad to get my evenings and weekends back to me and my husband!

ReputationRep:

I have 1 week of uni, 5 more weeks of plavement and 2 enhancement weeks. Feels like ages left!

ReputationRep:
    I finish placement end of June and course 8th July!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ratchit99)
    Sorry if its any consolation i have 3 weeks of uni after half term including another assignment so im not totally done yet! But i will be glad to get my evenings and weekends back to me and my husband!
    (Original post by alabelle)
    I have 1 week of uni, 5 more weeks of plavement and 2 enhancement weeks. Feels like ages left!
    (Original post by Esmeralda4)
    I finish placement end of June and course 8th July!
    Ah yes I forget about uni. Uni is better than school though! My last week was supposed to be uni but because of my absences I am now in placement that week instead. I'm glad that it means I will not finish later overall, but at the same time it would have been nice to see course mates and tie up loose ends. Oh well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Think about how far you have come! No one is ready but we will continue to learn as we go. Similar to being a parent for the first time. You have your training (reading week by week pregnancy books etc). You finish your training when your due date is near but you panic "will I know how to do this and that?". Finally when baby arrives you learn how to be the best because you have to, your NQT year.
    I'm just so worried that I'm going to fail. My placement folder and evidence are all done but my teaching folders have gone to pot and I really need to get them sorted out so they don't make me stay longer

I finish same time as you and don't have a job either. I also need to fit in a couple of days of primary placement.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm just so worried that I'm going to fail. My placement folder and evidence are all done but my teaching folders have gone to pot and I really need to get them sorted out so they don't make me stay longer

I finish same time as you and don't have a job either. I also need to fit in a couple of days of primary placement.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah I really need to sort out my folders! Half term in two weeks but I am exam marking for OCR. I don't know what I was thinking by marking 370 GCSEs during my PGCE! If I can't handle it, I'll just have to back out. It takes me ages to mark a set of 30!

Primary placement is great. I found it boring, but it was a few days off from planning and teaching. Embrace it!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I really need to sort out my folders! Half term in two weeks but I am exam marking for OCR. I don't know what I was thinking by marking 370 GCSEs during my PGCE! If I can't handle it, I'll just have to back out. It takes me ages to mark a set of 30!

Primary placement is great. I found it boring, but it was a few days off from planning and teaching. Embrace it!
    Oooh that sounds painful. Just think of the money! I have my teaching folders to sort - I've been just keeping things on my computer in a sort of chaotic way and now I need to be seen to be organised. And I'm nowhere near ready with my final assignment.

How many primary days did you do? School is saying it's however many they want to send me on but uni is saying 5. Is it a standard sort of thing that all unis do?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Oooh that sounds painful. Just think of the money! I have my teaching folders to sort - I've been just keeping things on my computer in a sort of chaotic way and now I need to be seen to be organised. And I'm nowhere near ready with my final assignment.

How many primary days did you do? School is saying it's however many they want to send me on but uni is saying 5. Is it a standard sort of thing that all unis do?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Seems to be. I'm primary and I've done 4/5 secondary days. Hated every minute but at least there's no actual work to do!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.