?
Report 4 years ago
Loving Rakitic.
jam278
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You think Enrique will draft in the youngsters and integrate them as well as Pep?

I have a feeling Barca will win the title this year and Real Madrid will come trophyless for some reason?
Malevolent
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by jam278)
You think Enrique will draft in the youngsters and integrate them as well as Pep?

I have a feeling Barca will win the title this year and Real Madrid will come trophyless for some reason?
Its still a little bit too early to tell but I'm liking the signs so far. Little disappointed Bartra still isn't starting but I think Enrique will give him chances, hes not afraid to give young defenders a chance from what I saw from his time at Celta. The more I watch Matheiu I realize maybe why we bought him. Hes been rock solid so far and hes extremely quick for a tall guy. If he keeps it up for 2-3 seasons then 20m for him is fine considering how screwed up the market is :lol:
Vae
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Munir just continues to show the abiliy/talent he's shown on all the youth levels he has rocketed through and the form he's had in the UYL last season; so no real surprise he performed as well at he did, but still a dream debut and probably more than you could expect from a youngster in his first match. Good anticipation, touch and finish for the goal and almost scored another if it wasn't for the black cat curse/post. It's a bit ironic that Deulofeu couldn't get off Sevilla's bench in their opener while Munir started for Barça and scored; like Deu Munir has sky-high potential and enough ability in his teenage years to play for the first team, but unlike Deu he also has the composure and maturity to make the best out of the chances he's given, as he did yesterday. Deulofeu never showed the same link-up play, composure or intelligence in his first-team games while still a teenager but just tried to put on a selfish one-man-show (yelling at Messi for not passing to him, LOL); you could say he doesn't even show it now despite being 2 years older. It's too early to promote Munir as he can't really just skip Barça B, but while Suárez is out he's probably just as good an alternative for the wing against defensive teams as Pedro and certainly better than Rafinha (who just isn't good for the wing). He definitely should get a good run in the copa either way.

Rakitic and Mathieu both look as good as last season, but fit the system very well. Still, playing with 10 men or not, Elche at home is not the hardest of games so too early to draw anything from it.

(Original post by Malevolent)
Its still a little bit too early to tell but I'm liking the signs so far. Little disappointed Bartra still isn't starting but I think Enrique will give him chances, hes not afraid to give young defenders a chance from what I saw from his time at Celta. The more I watch Matheiu I realize maybe why we bought him. Hes been rock solid so far and hes extremely quick for a tall guy. If he keeps it up for 2-3 seasons then 20m for him is fine considering how screwed up the market is :lol:
Bartra had been injured for a while and only returned to training recently, so I suppose that's why he didn't start. Bartra - Mathieu looks like a very solid partnership though, can see Lucho using it more often.
jam278
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by qua)
[spoiler]

Fair enough, I think the same applies for AdM though. All the statements he's made since the beginning of last summer were of the tenor that he didn't feel commited to the club; in the (non-Marca or RM-influenced) press and among RM fans it's been more or less an open secret that he wanted out. Of course Peréz is probably interested in making good money from selling him, so there's certainly that factor that made them less reluctant and perhaps very open to sell him, but it's in no way comparable to the Özil, Snejder, Robben situations where players really got "forced out".
Ozil well that was a case of him or Di Maria, nobody put in a big bid for Di Maria so they sold Ozil, but I have no qualms that Di Maria was equally as disposable as Ozil at that point, especially since Di Maria played in the same position as Bale who was bought for €100M but Ozil warranted more value. Higuain senior said e.g. he was supposed to be offered a new deal for him to stay but he wasn't and on sky sports I remember that Higuain said something along the lines of "they try to sell me every season, i'm undervalued at the club." I believe that Di Maria probably is being forced out in a similar way. Perez is supposedly the only person who doesn't want him but he'll get his way at the club.
http://www.espnfc.com/story/1469513/...force-transfer

Naturally. But first, Bayern were linked to Benatia (as well as several other CBs) long before Javi got injured so the CB interest was there and Javi by no means their first-choice CB but rather an option for both positions, and second, that's (Schweini, Thiago, Javi injured) the only reason the Khedira-Bayern links in the press got strong in the past few days and the only senseful reasoning most of the gossip articles used (hence why the "Khedira to Bayern in 2015" conclusion comes a bit out of nowhere, even on the back of that speculation; plus even Bild as well as the reliable Munich press said there was "nothing to it at all").
True, I guess it gets hot since Javi got injured. Tbh with them playing 3atb, you'd expect him to be first choice as well as Boateng, Badstuber would get games too but ofc he's been injured for 2 seasons so it's risky to make him first choice so early.

I guess Khedira to Bayern doesn't seem as plausible as it initially seems.
Don't think Bayern are extending their "weakening ground" beyond the German border; perhaps they'd do it if given the chance, but doubt they'd go as far as securing a player who doesn't fit them at all, who'd steal playing time off their academy players, and whom the manager doesn't seem to rate, just to take revenge on a foreign club/make profit they really don't need and that's relatively small considering their numbers. But more importantly, it's not like Bayern at all to take another club's leftovers after giving one of their best players to them, that'd really put "mia san mia" to shame. It's all speculation though, and it's going off-topic.

He's not injured, Ancelotti rates him, he's more versatile than Alonso and can play 2 mf roles in a 4-3-3 as well as be used in a different system should Ancelotti shift Modric deeper. Simply more chances to play. But again, that's going off-topic.
Fair enough wrt Khedira. How would you know that Ancelotti rates him, has he said it in the press? Ancelotti's style is generally hands off and non inflammatory so he doesn't make it clear if a player is unwanted at the club. Also don't think he's good enough to play in the holding role in the 4-3-3 at Madrid, he's not the greatest of tacklers, gets caught too far forward, all he's really got is strength and work rate.

Ancelotti will have to change system this season I think. He used 4-4-2 last season near the end. So that's a possibility. He'll probably rotate the midfield as Real will have the world club cup and will be challenging for three trophies again this season. The depth will be needed as most teams seem to have two first teams nowadays.

Hmm I get the whole Bayern not being involved in politics thing. Just thought that it would be a fair assumption. Reckon Bayern's squad looks more balanced but weaker personnel wise this season. Think Kroos was good last season but for the league won't be a big miss.
Undisclosed 15
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
There where lots of positives for Barca yesterday such as Mathieu, Rakitic, Munir and Messi, however, Rafinha disappointed on the wing again. I am not convinced that he is a winger and that creates a bit of a problem because then Barca will have too many midfielders and too few attackers.

Xavi, Rakitic, Roberto, Iniesta and Rafinha are all playing for 2 places while Barca only have 4 attackers for 3 places. Moreover, Suarez is banned till the end of October and Neymar is relatively injury prone. Iniesta will probably be used at LW but this is not ideal. Lucho has loaned out Tello and Deulofeu so surely he thinks he has enough. I cant help but think that Lucho should have loaned put Rafinha instead of Deulofeu even though he clearly prefers Rafinha as a player.

All this means that Munir will play a fair bit but surely sending back to the B team and recalling him over and over will be very disruptive.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Jordooooom
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
So simeone has been suspended for 8 matches because he 'slapped' the back of the fourth officials head.

What a joke,
Fizzel
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Can't really have managers getting physical with the officials. It's a small tap but it's not the severity that is relevant.

Posted from TSR Mobile
jam278
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by qua)
Munir just continues to show the abiliy/talent he's shown on all the youth levels he has rocketed through and the form he's had in the UYL last season; so no real surprise he performed as well at he did, but still a dream debut and probably more than you could expect from a youngster in his first match. Good anticipation, touch and finish for the goal and almost scored another if it wasn't for the black cat curse/post. It's a bit ironic that Deulofeu couldn't get off Sevilla's bench in their opener while Munir started for Barça and scored; like Deu Munir has sky-high potential and enough ability in his teenage years to play for the first team, but unlike Deu he also has the composure and maturity to make the best out of the chances he's given, as he did yesterday. Deulofeu never showed the same link-up play, composure or intelligence in his first-team games while still a teenager but just tried to put on a selfish one-man-show (yelling at Messi for not passing to him, LOL); you could say he doesn't even show it now despite being 2 years older. It's too early to promote Munir as he can't really just skip Barça B, but while Suárez is out he's probably just as good an alternative for the wing against defensive teams as Pedro and certainly better than Rafinha (who just isn't good for the wing). He definitely should get a good run in the copa either way.

Rakitic and Mathieu both look as good as last season, but fit the system very well. Still, playing with 10 men or not, Elche at home is not the hardest of games so too early to draw anything from it.
Just watched the game. Good win for barca. Impressed with Munirs movement and great finish, thought Messi scored that one. Also the change to a 4-3-2 suggests that Luis Enrique could be planning on using the diamond to fit the 3 attacking players together. Plus anyway you don't have any proper wingers, just a bunch of versatile forwards who can play on the wing but look better central (bar maybe Pedro)

Liked Rakitic, looks like he'll be an inspired signing as expected, Mathieu did well but tbh Elche didn't offer too much attacking threat bar the red card chance, which was down to Busquetts doing his best Gerrard world cup impression. I guess you can say the same for Elches midfield but you can see that if Rakitic is offered the slightest bit of space he'll do his thing. Can't say the same for if Mathieu is put under considerable pressure on the counter by fast forwards.

Rafinha didn't do much in that first half but again I assume the diamond will get the best out of him. He'll probably change to the diamond as the season goes on and definitely when Suarez comes back.
(Original post by Fizzel)
Can't really have managers getting physical with the officials. It's a small tap but it's not the severity that is relevant.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah, would completely undermine the referee if he's not getting a big ban and it'll help stop the managers from applying unnecessary pressure to officials.
Jordooooom
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm not saying he shouldn't be punished. It just highlighted the double standards where someone is punished for an incident and within the same game, someone else is let off completely for even worse
Kallisto
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Loving Rakitic.
Loving Kroos. I wish him the best of luck in Madrid. He should prepared Benzema's goal... that is a good start, isn't it?
Malevolent
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Oh bloody hell Benatia to Bayern :cry2:
Undisclosed 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Oh bloody hell Benatia to Bayern :cry2:
The reported price is £24mill. At that price, why did Barca not pursue?

Posted from TSR Mobile
jam278
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Undisclosed 15)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Because Barca be barca.
Icecream1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Douglas has been confirmed by Barca. The RB has signed a 5 year deal and will coming from Brazil.

I haven't heard of him before but their aren't many who have positive things to say.
Malevolent
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by jam278)
Because Barca be barca.
Guardiola you little fox. :lol:

(Original post by Icecream1)
Douglas has been confirmed by Barca. The RB has signed a 5 year deal and will coming from Brazil.

I haven't heard of him before but their aren't many who have positive things to say.
Deal is just dodgy and reeks of bad business.
Jordooooom
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What kind of name is 'Douglas' for a brazillian anyway. Even worse than Fred
Vae
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I cant help but think that Lucho should have loaned put Rafinha instead of Deulofeu even though he clearly prefers Rafinha as a player.

All this means that Munir will play a fair bit but surely sending back to the B team and recalling him over and over will be very disruptive.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not really down to preference. Deulofeu definitely won't get the playing time he needs to develop at Barça (the Everton loan didn't work out as well as expected I guess). Rafinha is much more developed, has already played one full season in la liga (and fared very well), is thus less dependent on playing time but also has more chances to actually play regularly. No need to send him on loan at all. As long as LS is out and Neymar/Pedro injured, the options for the wings are a bit dire, but with Rafinha on the wing/up front the formation is more of a 4-4-2 diamond than a 4-3-3 anyway. Munir can chip in nicely and I don't see a problem with calling him up for certain games from the B team; that concept has never harmed any of the B team youngsters when being called up for copa games etc in the past. He can't just go from Juvenil A to the first team anyway, one season of Segunda football is good for him.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Roma were asking a higher fee when Barça and City were interested, which Barça didn't want to pay in order to save up for Marquinhos, who was the priority (I suppose because he can play as RB). When Marcos was out of question, I guess they preferred to invest in two LCBs (of which the club had none) and a (****ty) RB rather than one RCB for a higher price.

Anyway,

Real's full-attack line-up looked relatively shaky against Córdoba and not as great going forward as it looks on paper. For all the technically strong players they had on the pitch, the main attacking strategy now seems to be crossing into the box + heading. As expected the mf was weak defensively as well, Córdoba was cutting through their midfield without many problems for periods of the game.

Atléti just looked tired, have to give it to Rayo though, they continue to play nice football and now even got their first point against one of the big 3. Too bad for Atléti to drop points in the first game, but Barça and Madrid were both playing at home and have 2 tricky games coming up, so it all could be evened out next weekend.
Undisclosed 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by qua)
Not really down to preference. Deulofeu definitely won't get the playing time he needs to develop at Barça (the Everton loan didn't work out as well as expected I guess). Rafinha is much more developed, has already played one full season in la liga (and fared very well), is thus less dependent on playing time but also has more chances to actually play regularly. No need to send him on loan at all. As long as LS is out and Neymar/Pedro injured, the options for the wings are a bit dire, but with Rafinha on the wing/up front the formation is more of a 4-4-2 diamond than a 4-3-3 anyway. Munir can chip in nicely and I don't see a problem with calling him up for certain games from the B team; that concept has never harmed any of the B team youngsters when being called up for copa games etc in the past. He can't just go from Juvenil A to the first team anyway, one season of Segunda football is good for him.

Roma were asking a higher fee when Barça and City were interested, which Barça didn't want to pay in order to save up for Marquinhos, who was the priority (I suppose because he can play as RB). When Marcos was out of question, I guess they preferred to invest in two LCBs (of which the club had none) and a (****ty) RB rather than one RCB for a higher price.

Anyway,

Real's full-attack line-up looked relatively shaky against Córdoba and not as great going forward as it looks on paper. For all the technically strong players they had on the pitch, the main attacking strategy now seems to be crossing into the box + heading. As expected the mf was weak defensively as well, Córdoba was cutting through their midfield without many problems for periods of the game.

Atléti just looked tired, have to give it to Rayo though, they continue to play nice football and now even got their first point against one of the big 3. Too bad for Atléti to drop points in the first game, but Barça and Madrid were both playing at home and have 2 tricky games coming up, so it all could be evened out next weekend.
How does the formation become 442 diamond when rafinha is on the wing? Messi played his usual role as a number 10 at the weekend. If he continues to play that role, which is expected, the wingers will become the 2 strikers and rafinha isnt a striker either. He is an attacking midfielder. Imo, there is an extra midfielder yet too few attackers in the squad.

Posted from TSR Mobile
jam278
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
How does the formation become 442 diamond when rafinha is on the wing? Messi played his usual role as a number 10 at the weekend. If he continues to play that role, which is expected, the wingers will become the 2 strikers and rafinha isnt a striker either. He is an attacking midfielder. Imo, there is an extra midfielder yet too few attackers in the squad.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Rafinha plays more narrow as an inside forward, you have the 3 CMs and if you look at the second half when Mascherano was sent off Barca effectively played a 4-3-2 diamond(no AM) so it all alludes to a diamond shape.

Because Luis Suarez isn't on the field yet. Luis Enrique has been rumoured to favour the diamond and with Neymar, Messi and Suarez all capable and arguably at their best in central positions(be it behind the striker or as the striker) then it all is pointing to a diamond formation.

Rafinha is capable of playing as one of the 2 CMs as well as an AM or possibly striker so it makes sense.

When Suarez comes back then it's lights out for Deloufeu if he wants any playing time. That's clear enough which is why he went on loan as Suarez plays in all the positions Deloufeu plays in. Munir as said before has only got into the Barca B team around march time so needs a bit of development.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (133)
18.42%
No (438)
60.66%
Not really bothered about them (151)
20.91%

Watched Threads