Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Bruv it's not even been 2 months and people getting the pitchforks out. :rofl:
    Lool this people criticising Moyes and the EPL hasn't even started yet 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    What they moaning about?
    Think it is some quotes about him saying "That we can win the title without new signings. And that we aren't close to signing anyone."

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Bruv it's not even been 2 months and people getting the pitchforks out. :rofl:
    He officially took over on July 1st, so not even a month yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamiesonn)
    Think it is some quotes about him saying "That we can win the title without new signings. And that we aren't close to signing anyone."

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Who said that? Wenger? I think he's just saying that but if it's true, he needs a slap to wake him up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Advice)
    Who said that? Wenger? I think he's just saying that but if it's true, he needs a slap to wake him up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What do you want him to say? "We have loads of money and are looking to buy everyone" He's just trying to take away the desperation factor from negotiations. Teams will hold out for more money because they know Arsenal have money and Wenger is under pressure to spend it plus they know the Arsenal team need improvements.

ReputationRep:
    He's just trolling, surely? :eyeball:

ReputationRep:
    im just gettin sick and tired of allllll this bull; we let higuain get out of our hands and suarez was never an ideal person to bring into the club for me...only a month or so to go and wenger needs to get his chequebook out and dole out some cash cos if he doesn't, it'll be another disappointing season to come

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr.Messy)
    He's just trolling, surely? :eyeball:

If it was any other manager then I would agree, but he has a long track of speaking bull**** on the 'quality' of our squad. Never underestimate the stubbornness and tightness of Arsene Wenger. We have 180m cash in the bank and he reckons we're good enough to win the title when anybody speaking honestly knows we'll be slugging it out for CL football yet again.

Having said that, Wenger was never going to come out and say the current squad weren't up to it and that he was desperate to sign new players. He's tight as **** so if that shaves a couple of million off his transfer outlay then he's probably prepared to say anything.

I must say that I've always made excuses for Wenger, but if he honestly signs nobody then I have to admit the guy is possibly irreconcilably out of touch with reality and just is more interested in his own personal convictions than in the success of Arsenal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    If it was any other manager then I would agree, but he has a long track of speaking bull**** on the 'quality' of our squad. Never underestimate the stubbornness and tightness of Arsene Wenger. We have 180m cash in the bank and he reckons we're good enough to win the title when anybody speaking honestly knows we'll be slugging it out for CL football yet again.

Having said that, Wenger was never going to come out and say the current squad weren't up to it and that he was desperate to sign new players. He's tight as **** so if that shaves a couple of million off his transfer outlay then he's probably prepared to say anything.

I must say that I've always made excuses for Wenger, but if he honestly signs nobody then I have to admit the guy is possibly irreconcilably out of touch with reality and just is more interested in his own personal convictions than in the success of Arsenal.
    Wenger is a pretty shrewd bloke. He always acts coy but that's because knows better than to publicize the clubs business.

Signings are inevitable when you consider that the current squad just barely finished above Spurs, who have done pretty well so far in recruiting new players themselves. So I'm sure AW realises what could happen if he doesn't invest himself.

ReputationRep:

I love wenger. I can do without fergie, but wenger will never stop giving me laughs. :lol:

I think he'll get a big signing. I highly doubt he'd do this with the competition for 4th tighter than ever. I think he's slightly senile if he doesn't sign anyone this transfer window. Just a CB and a DM.

Saying that. I see where he's coming from. If I was a tight ******* like wenger and I see the squad, the fact that they're young in football terms and all the players can improve, no disruptions of key players and the fact that the likes of chamberlain need gametime to develop I would understand why he's not going to sign anyone. Probably going on the same line of thought here.

Doesn't mean it's right, just understand where he's coming from. For every weakness in the squad wenger is probably thinking that this guys progression would make up for it. DM e.g. he's probably thinking ramsey will improve and wilshere will overcome his injury problems. CB he's thinking that he's got enough CB's to cover. For striker he's thinking that giroud has adapted to the PL and sanogo/podolski/walcott are adequate cover for striker when giroud is out. He could just get a midfielder and a forward which could get you the title but there's no point in his opinion.

ReputationRep:
    I love wenger. I can do without fergie, but wenger will never stop giving me laughs. :lol:

I think he'll get a big signing. I highly doubt he'd do this with the competition for 4th tighter than ever. I think he's slightly senile if he doesn't sign anyone this transfer window. Just a CB and a DM.

Saying that. I see where he's coming from. If I was a tight ******* like wenger and I see the squad, the fact that they're young in football terms and all the players can improve, no disruptions of key players and the fact that the likes of chamberlain need gametime to develop I would understand why he's not going to sign anyone. Probably going on the same line of thought here.

Doesn't mean it's right, just understand where he's coming from. For every weakness in the squad wenger is probably thinking that this guys progression would make up for it. DM e.g. he's probably thinking ramsey will improve and wilshere will overcome his injury problems. CB he's thinking that he's got enough CB's to cover. For striker he's thinking that giroud has adapted to the PL and sanogo/podolski/walcott are adequate cover for striker when giroud is out. He could just get a midfielder and a forward which could get you the title but there's no point in his opinion.
    i understand that and thats a good strategy buuuuuut those players are not gonna win arsenal a trophy on their own anytime soon and thats what most fans are frustrated about, i mean hes tried it that way for several years now, its time to move on and actually buy some proven big name stars who can take arsenal to its former glories

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Billa Bong)
    i understand that and thats a good strategy buuuuuut those players are not gonna win arsenal a trophy on their own anytime soon and thats what most fans are frustrated about, i mean hes tried it that way for several years now, its time to move on and actually buy some proven big name stars who can take arsenal to its former glories
    I guess so. He's probably waiting for that 'lucky break' :rofl: I don't know man wenger is an interesting man that's for sure.

ReputationRep:
    I guess so. He's probably waiting for that 'lucky break' :rofl: I don't know man wenger is an interesting man that's for sure.
    ohh im not saying hes not interesting lol but he needs to reevaluate his way of thinking a little bit. not drastic just small tinkering and baaaam we are good to go

ReputationRep:
    He's let all the good players and replaced them with players that or not to the same standard. I mean, they're good and all! But they'll never be another unbeatables team again

ReputationRep:
    And why does he leave the transfers until after the season starts? I understand Suarez because he's out for the first six but the others? He's always been an advocate of the window ending before the season starts yet he does his business in the final hour of the 31st August.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I swear being an Arsenal is actual stress, every season something is always holding us back. I was just thinking I should've supported Chelsea I can't believe I just said that :sigh::sigh::sigh::sigh:

ReputationRep:

Why do you guys insist that Wenger is stubborn when in fact if you look at all the recent signings he has made, he has changed his strategy year on year. Couple of seasons ago when we lacked experience in the squad, he brought in Mertesacker and Arteta and last summer he got the likes of Cazorla and Podolski to add even more experience and quality. Wenger has been quoted as saying several times that he does not believe in the January transfer window and avoids it at all cost but despite this, he changed his ways and got Monreal in January this time. Granted, we have been somewhat unlucky with the out goings every transfer window and for that I can criticise Wenger and I still think we should have perhaps let RVP's contract run down.

He has done the best he possibly can with the resources available to him and there are not a lot of managers who would have done better in a similar situation. I think he deserves at least one more season to finish off what he has built for all these years. I really believe that we are in a strong position for a trophy next season. I'm as frustrated as you but there is still a long way to go for the end of the transfer window.

ReputationRep:
    Wenger's hardly going to come out and say we want to buy loads of players and criticise the current squad. Arsenal will go about their business behind the scenes, they always do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Advice)
    And why does he leave the transfers until after the season starts? I understand Suarez because he's out for the first six but the others? He's always been an advocate of the window ending before the season starts yet he does his business in the final hour of the 31st August.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Players are often cheaper when bought on the last day of the window. It shaves a couple of million of the player as the selling club is desperate to get rid of the player. There are not 'panic buys' as is often said with these purchases. It takes months sometimes to decide which player is suitable and the last day is seen as the most appropriate to make the move.

ReputationRep:
    How can people possibly say the timing of Suarez is bad? if anything, it's utterly perfect.

If we had made our move for him within week 1 or week 2, the ears of PSG/Monaco/City (who have all bought Cavani, Falcao, Negredo respectively) could have pricked up and turned their attention towards Suarez. This is also when Bale was on holiday and it was made clear he didn't want to concentrate on any transfer/contract news until he got back. Now that most of the rich/big teams are sorted for strikers, we then make our move for Suarez. At this point in the transfer window, the timing is poised so there's just enough time left for Suarez to use player power for us to get him, and the fact he's gonna miss the first games anyway means it doesn't really matter too much anyway. If he joins there'll still be crazy money to be made out of shirt sales despite being a later transfer.

I can only assume the people complaining about Wenger's recent comments have been Arsenal fans for approximately 2 minutes. He says stuff like this all the time, and after everything that happened last year I told myself it was best never to believe anything he says during transfer season. Look at Arsenal.com last year - "I am not interested in signing Podolski" "I have never heard of Santi Cazorla" and the year before that "We are not in for Arteta" "Henry is just training with us at the moment, nothing more". He has a history of being the worlds best poker player, he never gives away anything and for me that's why he's leaps and bounds ahead of the majority of managers you get. Look how ridiculous Moyes has looked this summer by being so public with his transfer targets - they're clearly not getting Fabregas (not even from a bias point of view, to me it's just something even Stevie Wonder can see), they didn't get Thiago etc. Wenger has always kept his cards close to his chest and always will.

It's actually hilarious to see people fall for his "we are already good enough to be title challengers with or without new signings" comment. He's not going to come out and say "well, the squad we have at the moment is alright, but Giroud is a bit of a donkey and Walcott's very annoying some games so we're trying to put in a cheeky bid for Suarez." He always respects his current players, always.

Considering Gazidis gave an interview to the guardian couple of weeks ago saying the money was there for Arsene to spend and that we could afford much more than just Wayne Rooney, it's clear for the first summer in a long time that there is serious money for there to be spent. That was a message to the fans, and it was also a message to Arsene that it needs to be spent. If we haven't bought any players at the end of the window then it's all on Wenger, Gazidis has been good in making sure this is the case. Every Arsenal fan knows we can spend big money now thanks to Gazidis being so public, and that's a good thing.

Look at all the players like Wilshere, Koscielny, Giroud: they've also given interviews to say they want us to challenge for the title and they want the competition of new, BIG players.

All these signs just make it look so clear we're going to buy important, fantastic players this summer. If Wenger hasn't bought anyone other than Sanogo by September then I will certainly not be excusing him then, but untill then I'm just going to laugh at anyone who actually believes him when he says we don't need any new players.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.