Turn on thread page Beta

The Commons Bar Mk VIII - MHoC Chat Thread watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cryptographic)
    Today is the day where the Conservatives have finally lost my vote at the next GE.

Just out of interest what do people identify as? e.g British, Irish, Scottish (European even) etc.

I'm first of all British, then Irish (just) before English.
    Why have the Tories lost you RL vote?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Will95206)
    Why have the Tories lost you RL vote?
    Well in all honesty my local MP would have never got my vote anyway, he is basically pathetic. But in a presidential-style election he wouldn't, he is not pushing his politics, but pandering to whoever shouts the loudest, that alongside being petty and 'flappy'. I don't believe that he would survive to 2020 as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cryptographic)
    Well in all honesty my local MP would have never got my vote anyway, he is basically pathetic. But in a presidential-style election he wouldn't, he is not pushing his politics, but pandering to whoever shouts the loudest, that alongside being petty and 'flappy'. I don't believe that he would survive to 2020 as well.
    Fair enough, but would it not be better just to bite the bullet and just vote for him to help the conservative cause? Do you really want to help Miliband by not voting for him? Also just out of interest who would you vote for if no the Tories?

ReputationRep:
    A former actor wins the right to lose to Douglas Carswell in Clacton.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...l-Clacton.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meenu89)
    A former actor wins the right to lose to Douglas Carswell in Clacton.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...l-Clacton.html
    I agree although I think his majority will be cut. I see the result being more like 45-30.

ReputationRep:
    Sad news that Dr Ian Paisley has died.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    There'll be a lot of people line dancing on his grave. I think my favourite quote of his was "Save Ulster from sodomy" which he spoke at a rally, whose attendees later went on to beat several gay men to death.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Faland)
    There'll be a lot of people line dancing on his grave. I think my favourite quote of his was "Save Ulster from sodomy" which he spoke at a rally, whose attendees later went on to beat several gay men to death.
    Let us hope people treat his death with dignity and respect; unlike the vile creatures who applauded Lady Thatchers death.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nebelbon)
    Sad news that Dr Ian Paisley has died.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Indeed. If I lived in Northern Ireland I would vote for the DUP. RIP

ReputationRep:
    As would I. He firmly stood up for what his people and supporters believed in and would not back down.

ReputationRep:
    Not to wish ill to the dead, but the truth is that Ian Paisley was not by any stretch of the imagination a pleasant person.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Green_Pink)
    Not to wish ill to the dead, but the truth is that Ian Paisley was not by any stretch of the imagination a pleasant person.
    I think we have come to expect that ill will be spoken of the dead very vociferously by a loud and outspoken minority. It is nice to see members of this house respecting him though. I have to disagree with you, he may have said some bad things, but ultimately i respected his cause.

ReputationRep:
    And not the UUP?

ReputationRep:
    never understood the reverence people have for the dead, if someone is/was as vile as Paisley I hardly regard their death as excusing them from criticism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Will95206)
    And not the UUP?
    I would vote for the largest Unionist Party.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nebelbon)
    I think we have come to expect that ill will be spoken of the dead very vociferously by a loud and outspoken minority. It is nice to see members of this house respecting him though. I have to disagree with you, he may have said some bad things, but ultimately i respected his cause.
    It's not his cause that bothers me, I can and do respect people with differing views to myself. What bothers me was that he was, frankly, a religious fundamentalist and a bigot with hatred for anyone who dared to be Catholic, gay or just different from him. Worse, he acted on these views and mounted a campaign of terror against Catholics and republicans in Northern Ireland. I can't honestly say that he'll be missed.

(Original post by Jean-Luc Picard)
    never understood the reverence people have for the dead, if someone is/was as vile as Paisley I hardly regard their death as excusing them from criticism.
    Exactly. We would not forgive Hitler or pretend he wasn't so bad because he's now dead, nor any other historical figure, so I don't see why those who (rightly or wrongly) opposed them whilst living should suddenly wish well to Thatcher or Paisley. If anything to do so would strike me as fairly condescending.

ReputationRep:
    I would vote for the largest Unionist Party.
    Fair enough, but the DUP have a range of criticisms - ex-terrorists, quasi-loyalists, economically dubious (left wingish).

Although the UUP would get my 1st preference vote in NI and the DUP my second.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly. We would not forgive Hitler or pretend he wasn't so bad because he's now dead, nor any other historical figure, so I don't see why those who (rightly or wrongly) opposed them whilst living should suddenly wish well to Thatcher or Paisley. If anything to do so would strike me as fairly condescending.
    quite, I base my opinions of people on what they do/say (what they are like basically) not whether they happen to still be alive or not,

ReputationRep:
    What a vile, hateful man Paisley was. He represented everything that was wrong with the elite Unionists who ruled Stormont.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adam9317)
    MSG
    Well adam, thoughts on death of Paisley?

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.