Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'Evil Fish)
    I know there isn't, it's actually quite interesting. I just thought psychology, Latin and creative writing were a really strange combination

Wait! That's a lot of "A Levels"

I was joking haha. Its so much work tbh, not worth it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mynameisntbobk)
    I was joking haha. Its so much work tbh, not worth it
    I'm not, I think it is quite interesting. But it should be called the memory a level a qualification which would be a measure of how well you retain information

ReputationRep:
    I see!

What's the difference between Classics and Latin?
    Well, you don't learn Latin in Classics, for one thing :mmm::lol:

I'd get too upset all the time

But it's the part of English that's useless (less useful) unless you want to be an author or something. I mean don't get me wrong I loved to write stories and descriptions and ****, but it's a silly qualification to have.

Actually it's good it exists. Then they should remove it from English and have both the English A Levels respected

(In case you've not gathered. I'm trying to grate on you )
    YOU SO HILARIOUS HAHAHAHAHAHA

I do the same thing to my friend regarding his doing Music Technology :mmm: (he's perfectly fine with it, so am I, he wants to do it, although he does want to apply to Cambridge, so he's expecting to have to retake a year or two to get subjects that are actually liked)

ReputationRep:
    I'm not, I think it is quite interesting. But it should be called the memory a level a qualification which would be a measure of how well you retain information

Well AS is hardly interesting, there's a few bits here and there though. That's exactly what it is at A2, which is what actually makes it hard

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MangoFreak)
    Well, you don't learn Latin in Classics, for one thing :mmm::lol:

YOU SO HILARIOUS HAHAHAHAHAHA

I do the same thing to my friend regarding his doing Music Technology :mmm: (he's perfectly fine with it, so am I, he wants to do it, although he does want to apply to Cambridge, so he's expecting to have to retake a year or two to get subjects that are actually liked)
    Oh :lol: they seem such random a levels, I mean can you speak Latin? If so, what does that do for you?

I know I am

What else is he doing?

ReputationRep:
    Oh :lol: they seem such random a levels, I mean can you speak Latin? If so, what does that do for you?

I know I am

What else is he doing?
    English LitLang, Latin with me, Creative Writing with me, and Classics, so actually, thinking about it, he should be fine for Cambridge.

And you know, I just remembered, I DO want to be an author (in some capacity) :lol:

Do you only think of things in terms of what they do for you? :lolwut: Regardless, Classical Civilisations and Latin are two of the most highly-regarded A Levels one can do (you obviously care for such things :hand::pierre:)

ReputationRep:
    English LitLang, Latin with me, Creative Writing with me, and Classics, so actually, thinking about it, he should be fine for Cambridge.

And you know, I just remembered, I DO want to be an author (in some capacity) :lol:

Do you only think of things in terms of what they do for you? :lolwut: Regardless, Classical Civilisations and Latin are two of the most highly-regarded A Levels one can do (you obviously care for such things :hand::pierre:)
    What degree does he want to do?:lol:

Yeah... Respected by ME not the normal stuff. Like I value Sociology, but not RS
    That's bull. What on earth does it teach you; skills/content?

ReputationRep:
    What degree does he want to do?:lol:

Yeah... Respected by ME not the normal stuff. Like I value Sociology, but not RS
    That's bull. What on earth does it teach you; skills/content?
    English (I don't see why that's funny).

:dontknow: Don't ask me, I don't do it (no taste for such things). But I imagine that's fairly similar to somebody asking "when will I ever use this math in real life?" :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    English (I don't see why that's funny).

:dontknow: Don't ask me, I don't do it (no taste for such things). But I imagine that's fairly similar to somebody asking "when will I ever use this math in real life?" :mmm:
    Funny because you said he should be fine when Cambridge are a stickler for the respected stuff? Thought History, Philosophy, English Lit, MFL would have been better.

You do do Latin though and maths has many more applications. Latin is a dead language no one uses it anymore, it should be an interest unless you intend to pursue it further, not a qualification.

actually, that's a load of bull from me but I'm trying to keep posting

ReputationRep:
    Funny because you said he should be fine when Cambridge are a stickler for the respected stuff? Thought History, Philosophy, English Lit, MFL would have been better.

You do do Latin though and maths has many more applications. Latin is a dead language no one uses it anymore, it should be an interest unless you intend to pursue it further, not a qualification.

actually, that's a load of bull from me but I'm trying to keep posting
    I'm physically facepalming so I won't bother with the emoticon :lol:

You may turn me into a theist as I start praying to whatever wacky deity I find suitable that you would stop posting :rofl:

Cambridge like respected (read: well-established as rigorous) A Levels, and my friend has the requisite A Levels (checked the Cambridge website, LitLang is fine) :lol: Cambridge especially love Classics, it being their thing and all.

ReputationRep:
    I'm physically facepalming so I won't bother with the emoticon :lol:

You may turn me into a theist as I start praying to whatever wacky deity I find suitable that you would stop posting :rofl:

Cambridge like respected (read: well-established as rigorous) A Levels, and my friend has the requisite A Levels (checked the Cambridge website, LitLang is fine) :lol: Cambridge especially love Classics, it being their thing and all.
    :mmm:

I knew you'd reply to such crap so

I'm going to look at a Past Paper now... It's just an Ancient form of History isn't it? Does it do all the source stuff or?

ReputationRep:
    :mmm:

I knew you'd reply to such crap so

I'm going to look at a Past Paper now... It's just an Ancient form of History isn't it? Does it do all the source stuff or?
    I was only replying to be friendly :emo::lol: Besides, for I knew you could just be a moron

It studies both ancient history (I did the lives of Romans in Pompeii at GCSE), using sources, and ancient literature/oral poetry, examining poetic techniques and all that crap I'm not particularly interested in (I'm doing non-fiction articles and possibly some short stories in Creative Writing; we're allowed to do anything in that subject as coursework, so long as our two pieces are different genres.).

ReputationRep:
    I was only replying to be friendly :emo::lol: Besides, for I knew you could just be a moron

It studies both ancient history (I did the lives of Romans in Pompeii at GCSE), using sources, and ancient literature/oral poetry, examining poetic techniques and all that crap I'm not particularly interested in (I'm doing non-fiction articles and possibly some short stories in Creative Writing; we're allowed to do anything in that subject as coursework, so long as our two pieces are different genres.).
    so it's like history and English... Pretty respected

:mmm: I'm a Moron, you get used to it.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that sound reliable

Hey hey add me

Maths: OCR
    Chemistry: OCR A
    Physics: AQA A
    Psychology: AQA A
    Latin: OCR
    Creative Writing: AQA :awesome:
    I've added you mango

what is an ASIL test?

Creative writing, first i've heard of this :O

ReputationRep:
    Hey man, Latin is awesome, okay!?

>.>

You could argue the same for History. It's in the name xD. But people still study History, don't they? Because like History, Latin offers transferable skills. I've got around 450 lines of poetry translation and style points to memorise for AS alone, and that's just half of what's assessed - prose translation makes up the other half. You've got to have good memory and be able to confidently talk (rather, write) from a point of view in which you can appreciate a piece of text, never mind being able to put across complex points succinctly and with good English skills.

Besides that, it's still considered a facilitator and an academic subject. It's as traditional as it gets. I've not even touched on how it actually helps your understanding of English and other languages. As with any other language, it help keeps your brain working too (I suspect you'd know more about that kinda thing than myself).

I'm sometimes hearing from my public/state school friends about how they wished they had the chance to study Latin. I usually tell them in jest they really don't want to, it's an opportunity more people should be given.

I'm a major fanboy of a language that's not dead (strictly speaking, it's still a language of the Vatican, so HA) and my friends do well not to take the mick out of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NikolaT)
    X
    We learn from history, to stop repeating mistakes

Who spoke Latin? Why has it become extinct?

ReputationRep:
    We learn from history, to stop repeating mistakes

Who spoke Latin? Why has it become extinct?
    Latin was spoken by the Roman Empire I think? It hasn't become extinct, it's just evolved:cool:

ReputationRep:
    Dont insult latin k?

Its a babe of a language

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Red Fox)
    Latin was spoken by the Roman Empire I think? It hasn't become extinct, it's just evolved:cool:
    But Latin as it was has died out
    (Original post by radhikagulati)
    Dont insult latin k?

Its a babe of a language
    Dolce et decorum est

ReputationRep:
    I agree that Latin is pretty pointless today and that time would be better invested learning a language you can actually speak to people in

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.