Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Penguinsaysquack)
    :poke:

Spoiler:
    Show
    Either you have an AAM or my memory has gone..

Arghh, having to miss a lecture that actually looks like it could be useful and might miss 2nd anatomy practical thanks to my body's inability to keep anything down atm :sigh:
    I don't think it's mine. :confused:

How is life atm?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    I don't think it's mine. :confused:

How is life atm?
    I'll see if I can ask who it belongs to... it might have been labelled incorrectly.. :dontknow:

Life's generally pretty good, loving it here and not finding the transition too difficult.. just spending far too long on PBLs..

How about you? Newcastle shaping up to what you expected?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Penguinsaysquack)
    I'll see if I can ask who it belongs to... it might have been labelled incorrectly.. :dontknow:

Life's generally pretty good, loving it here and not finding the transition too difficult.. just spending far too long on PBLs..

How about you? Newcastle shaping up to what you expected?

It's ok, it's sorted now.

I'm finding the transition very difficult. I always knew it would be hard because of the layout of the course but it is ridiculously intense - already nearly finished a case, anatomy of the reps. system, resp. clinical exams and I've been here for what, 2 weeks? Not even met my tutor or peer parent yet, lol. I absolutely dread to think how intense the Newcastle GEP course is...

We come here to work at the end of the day though, so I'm not moaning. :p:
    • PS Helper

(Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    Do something you enjoy. I'm only two weeks into mine and I can already see it's going to be a long year. Doesn't really matter what you do it in provided you get a decent classification and hopefully a publication out of it.
    Thanks Are you not enjoying your iBsc so far then or is it just a big change from medicine?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)

I'm finding the transition very difficult. I always knew it would be hard because of the layout of the course but it is ridiculously intense - already nearly finished a case, anatomy of the reps. system, resp. clinical exams and I've been here for what, 2 weeks? Not even met my tutor or peer parent yet, lol. I absolutely dread to think how intense the Newcastle GEP course is...

Excellent :yy:

Bloody hell that's intense.. makes it sound like we've got it easy at BL :lol:
    GEPpers are machines.. only explanation :sadnod:
    But you're keeping up for now at least?
    BTW do you know when your first exams are? :erm:

Very true very true :yep:

ReputationRep:
    So my new (university) years resolution to type up all my PBLs has already fallen through after my third one.

Well, it's better than last years effort. Managed two in freshers.

ReputationRep:
    Oh dear lord this morning of biochemistry is making me hit the desk faster than horse tranquillisers. I just so not love enzymes has much as the lecturer thinks we should. Not to mention we covered most of this in advanced higher biology...

... But that doesn't stop it from still being boring.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)

I've done all of haematology in 4 weeks (plus 2 weeks secondary care) :console:

(Original post by RollerBall)
    So my new (university) years resolution to type up all my PBLs has already fallen through after my third one.

Well, it's better than last years effort. Managed two in freshers.
    Glad I'm not only one who makes resolutions. I made 3 main ones - 2 I've stuck to, one has just been completely forgotten :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by billet-doux)
    Thanks Are you not enjoying your iBsc so far then or is it just a big change from medicine?
    I am enjoying it, but it is completely different. As one of my friends put it, you need to use a different part of your brain entirely. I think my issue is with not really knowing what the expectations are - we're in with 3rd year students from two different courses, plus some masters students, so the lecturer will say "oh, it's like you did in that module in second year" and all the medics just look blank. The exam format is going to be completely different as well to what I'm used to. I think the biggest thing is trying to figure out how much work this should actually involve - I only have classes on two days, but I haven't yet figured out whether this means I should be in the library on the other days (currently ignoring the project that apparents requires a day a week) or whether a couple of hours a week to keep up to date on lecture material is sufficient.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    I already hate histology. Can anybody recommend a half-decent textbook that will help me get my head around the basics? The library/reading list has loads, but don't have the time to read through them all atm.
    diFiore's Atlas is really good !

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1...C48TGKBS4RFRPV

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx)
    Glad I'm not only one who makes resolutions. I made 3 main ones - 2 I've stuck to, one has just been completely forgotten :sigh:
    I just saw coldplay are playing at UEA, so jelly

(Original post by Beska)
      I already hate histology. Can anybody recommend a half-decent textbook that will help me get my head around the basics? The library/reading list has loads, but don't have the time to read through them all atm.
      I prefer Histology and Cell Biology.

It's the best histology book I've used so far.

ReputationRep:
      I get to do DNA extraction from blood all by myself today first time I've done anything lab-y alone. Lets hope it actually works...

I'm actually loving iBSc at the moment, its completely different to Medicine but quite glad I haven't done the tradional iBSc with lectures - I can't imagine being in lectures again and revising exams. This is the first Christmas season I haven't had to revise since year 9 that's... 7 years ago now :O

Also does anyone know any good stats books? Like statistical analysis for research?

In regards to histology book, I used the blue junqeira one. But also used online resources, cannot remember the exact website (there are many I'm sure) but there are slides online that are more helpful than looking through a book. I think one was 'Blue hsitology http://www.lab.anhb.uwa.edu.au/mb140/

DNa extraction worked did it on two bloods in one go and got two DNA strands *proud* (actually sad enough to take pics to show my supervisor tomorrow...)

ReputationRep:
      FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU.. Inequalities in health. What is this ****?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
      FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU.. Inequalities in health. What is this ****?
      Ah, first year sociology... the Black report :yes: That's the limits of my memory on that subject.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Becca-Sarah)
      Ah, first year sociology... the Black report :yes: That's the limits of my memory on that subject.
      Ugh. I've already hard of that report more than I care to mention.

ReputationRep:
      Lecture on Managing stress?

You know what Med school? Maybe if you didn't make me sit through this i'd be less stressed?

ReputationRep:
      Right. Time to read through 100 pages of Medical Sciences to get back on top of my work ... :emo:

Spoiler:
      Show
      LOL JK :rofl: Time to go out to pub and then to LOTR themed flat party where I shall come dressed as Eye of Sauron. Lord of The Ring of Fire.
      • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by RollerBall)
      I just saw coldplay are playing at UEA, so jelly
      Yep :yep:

Don't think I'll be getting a ticket though. They're opening up the ticket office at 11pm the night before so people don't have to camp outside..... I cba with all that :p:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by ScrubZ)
      I've got an initiation on Wednesday followed by a full day of dissection... sympathy please
      You'll get no sympathy from me unless your dissections always culminate with a grouchy retired surgeon calling you an idiot.

Top tip: blunt force (fingers) are almost always quicker and just as neat for pulling up layers of fascia. This knowledge will save you an awful lot of time.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.