Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    A potentially 60 game season off the back of losing 25 players should Gervinho move to Roma. Of course those comments were bull.

ReputationRep:
    Wenger said all this about the squad in January when he was speculated to have funds available and meant it so I wouldn't write this off as bull**** so quickly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skoobykid)
    He's let all the good players and replaced them with players that or not to the same standard. I mean, they're good and all! But they'll never be another unbeatables team again
    Forget the invincibles, I'm pretty sure our 07/08 squad are higher quality than this one... We're talking Eduardo (imo since Henry left, the 2nd best striker we've had), Fabregas, RvP, Hleb, Adebayor (30 goals that season thanks to us), Gilberto, Toure, Clichy... Filled with talent, just too young.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Advice)
    And why does he leave the transfers until after the season starts? I understand Suarez because he's out for the first six but the others? He's always been an advocate of the window ending before the season starts yet he does his business in the final hour of the 31st August.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Please stop talking nonsense, we rarely ever do that.
    Spoiler:
    Show

We had Lukas Podolski sign a contract in May 2012 and all our business for transfers coming in for that summer was done by August 7th.
    We signed Laurent Koscielny and Gervinho in early July 2011. Signed Jenkinson in June 2011. Signed AOC early August but he wasn't a key signing that we needed to sign him any earlier.
    Signed Chamakh in May 2010.
    Signed Vermaelen in June 2009.
    Signed Sagna in early July 2007.
    Signed Silvestre in August 2008 before the season started. Signed Ramsey June 2008. We signed Samir Nasri August 2008 before the season started.
    Signed Eduardo early July 2007. Signed Fabianski May 2007.
    Signed Song in June 2006. Signed Rosicky May 2006.
    Signed Hleb June 2005.
    Signed RVP May 2004. Signed Flamini and Bendner July 2004. Signed Almunia July 2004.
    Signed clichy June 2003. Signed Lehmann July 2003. Signed Cygan and Djourou August 2003 before seson started.
    Signed Gilberto in early August 2002.
    Signed Sol Campbell and van Bronckhorst July 2001.
    Signed Robert Pires and Wiltord August 2000 before the season started.
    Signed Henry, Sylvinho and Lauren early August 1999.
    Signed Overmara July 1996. Signed Vieira August 1996 before the season started.

Signed Denilson 31 August 2006 and Fabregas and Senderos September 2003 but none of them were anywhere to being considered a first team player at the time.

So there you go. In Arsene Wenger's 16 year reign of Arsenal, apart from Arteta, Mertesacker and Gallas (Santos was never a first-team player so I'm not including him whilst Ljungberg took a while to settle in to the first team), we have never left first-team/key players to be signed until after the season started with regards to the summer transfer wndow. Just three players. In 16 years. To me, that's incredible.

Honestly what point is there in complaining about Arsenal when there's no evidence of anything to complain about, try being positive for once ffs.

ReputationRep:
    Jeesh so many negative ninnies and overconfident fools. Why not wait till the start of the season and then complain if nothings been done?

ReputationRep:
    The comments on Sky Sport's article of 'Wenger will wait for Suarez' are really pissing me off. For every 1 decent true Arsenal fan, you get 5 retarded fickle ones....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexsong)
    Wenger said all this about the squad in January when he was speculated to have funds available and meant it so I wouldn't write this off as bull**** so quickly
    Yeah, and our results after January 31st until the end of the season was equivalent to being top of the league. There was no-one amazing we could have signed in January anyway, we were linked with Huntelaar, Ba and Villa. If we signed any of them, they could improve our squad a little bit, whereas now we've waited for the summer, signing Suarez will improve this current Arsenal squad immensely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Basiji)
    The comments on Sky Sport's article of 'Wenger will wait for Suarez' is really pissing me off. For every 1 decent true Arsenal fan, you get 5 retarded fickle ones....
    Reading comments on there just brings out the morons. Its true for every club basically. You get dime a dozen fools and 1 sensible person.

ReputationRep:
    The comments on Sky Sport's article of 'Wenger will wait for Suarez' is really pissing me off. For every 1 decent true Arsenal fan, you get 5 retarded fickle ones....
    Arsenal fans have a huge online presence, we have more twitter followers and blogs dedicated to Arsenal than any other football club. Sometimes think that's why you get so much **** written about Arsenal on online papers as they know a lot of Arsenal fans will click on the link out of outrage and they get click money for it.

ReputationRep:
    The comments on Sky Sport's article of 'Wenger will wait for Suarez' are really pissing me off. For every 1 decent true Arsenal fan, you get 5 retarded fickle ones....
    I've become much more demanding of Wenger now that he has so much money to spend tbh. We need to see results and ambition.

ReputationRep:
    You lot need to stop complaining about others complaining, gosh...

seriously if you don't like the comments don't read em lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    I've become much more demanding of Wenger now that he has so much money to spend tbh. We need to see results and ambition.
    Precisely this. I've always been a huge admirer and fan of his but this summer, with all the money we have, things have changed. If he doesn't address the obvious shortcomings of the team and we struggle this season, I kinda hope he moves on. Because this isn't a fairy world - we're not gonna compete without spending.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    what is your take on the fact that jovetic went to city for £22.5M when apparently wenger and his cronies were "put off" by florentina's 30M+ valuation?

ReputationRep:
    Wenger and his cronies probably weren't interested in jovetic tbf............

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glousck)
    It's actually hilarious to see people fall for his "we are already good enough to be title challengers with or without new signings" comment. He's not going to come out and say "well, the squad we have at the moment is alright, but Giroud is a bit of a donkey and Walcott's very annoying some games so we're trying to put in a cheeky bid for Suarez." He always respects his current players, always.
    I agree with your post totally, and I think most people would. Further to this point ^ I'd say it's not just that but it's also about the actual business transaction. If you say "Suarez is essential to making us title contenders" it puts further impetus on the transfer, and you as a manager, to make it happen. When Liverpool are already trying to maximise the cash they can get out of the deal, it's important not to guarantee it'll happen and give yourself the opportunity to walk away. Talking in the media like it's essential to sign a new striker will only lessen your negotiation power as the other party will know you need to make it happen or else lose face.

I think we'll sign at least one player. These things take time. We all wish they didn't but they do. I'm positive. I think the same squad we had last year is going to be better this year, by the way. They look more jelled, the younger players are only going to be getting better (i.e. Jenk, Ramsey, Ox, Walcott, Wilshere). I think we're in okay shape. If we can add quality to the squad, we're going to be in particularly decent shape. Fingers crossed.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Considering Gazidis gave an interview to the guardian couple of weeks ago saying the money was there for Arsene to spend and that we could afford much more than just Wayne Rooney, it's clear for the first summer in a long time that there is serious money for there to be spent. That was a message to the fans, and it was also a message to Arsene that it needs to be spent. If we haven't bought any players at the end of the window then it's all on Wenger, Gazidis has been good in making sure this is the case. Every Arsenal fan knows we can spend big money now thanks to Gazidis being so public, and that's a good thing..
    Downside of this is everyone knows Arsenal are desperate and have funds to spend, so any club/agent with half a brain is going to inflate the fees they want for their player. We've seen time and time again that Wenger has a certain valuation of a player and won't go budge. So like the guy above said it's just giving any negotiating power to the other party eg. Liverpool now.

It's the same with any top club. Just look at all the idiots amongst our support critisising Moyes before we've even played a game. The price of success, unfortunately is that it attracts a lot of retards.

ReputationRep:
    Suarez signs new contract - OMG
    :rolleyes:

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/late...s-new-contract

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xamanus)
    Suarez signs new contract - OMG
    :rolleyes:

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/late...s-new-contract
    That's a year old :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    How can people possibly say the timing of Suarez is bad? if anything, it's utterly perfect.

If we had made our move for him within week 1 or week 2, the ears of PSG/Monaco/City (who have all bought Cavani, Falcao, Negredo respectively) could have pricked up and turned their attention towards Suarez. This is also when Bale was on holiday and it was made clear he didn't want to concentrate on any transfer/contract news until he got back. Now that most of the rich/big teams are sorted for strikers, we then make our move for Suarez. At this point in the transfer window, the timing is poised so there's just enough time left for Suarez to use player power for us to get him, and the fact he's gonna miss the first games anyway means it doesn't really matter too much anyway. If he joins there'll still be crazy money to be made out of shirt sales despite being a later transfer.

I can only assume the people complaining about Wenger's recent comments have been Arsenal fans for approximately 2 minutes. He says stuff like this all the time, and after everything that happened last year I told myself it was best never to believe anything he says during transfer season. Look at Arsenal.com last year - "I am not interested in signing Podolski" "I have never heard of Santi Cazorla" and the year before that "We are not in for Arteta" "Henry is just training with us at the moment, nothing more". He has a history of being the worlds best poker player, he never gives away anything and for me that's why he's leaps and bounds ahead of the majority of managers you get. Look how ridiculous Moyes has looked this summer by being so public with his transfer targets - they're clearly not getting Fabregas (not even from a bias point of view, to me it's just something even Stevie Wonder can see), they didn't get Thiago etc. Wenger has always kept his cards close to his chest and always will.

It's actually hilarious to see people fall for his "we are already good enough to be title challengers with or without new signings" comment. He's not going to come out and say "well, the squad we have at the moment is alright, but Giroud is a bit of a donkey and Walcott's very annoying some games so we're trying to put in a cheeky bid for Suarez." He always respects his current players, always.

Considering Gazidis gave an interview to the guardian couple of weeks ago saying the money was there for Arsene to spend and that we could afford much more than just Wayne Rooney, it's clear for the first summer in a long time that there is serious money for there to be spent. That was a message to the fans, and it was also a message to Arsene that it needs to be spent. If we haven't bought any players at the end of the window then it's all on Wenger, Gazidis has been good in making sure this is the case. Every Arsenal fan knows we can spend big money now thanks to Gazidis being so public, and that's a good thing.

Look at all the players like Wilshere, Koscielny, Giroud: they've also given interviews to say they want us to challenge for the title and they want the competition of new, BIG players.

All these signs just make it look so clear we're going to buy important, fantastic players this summer. If Wenger hasn't bought anyone other than Sanogo by September then I will certainly not be excusing him then, but untill then I'm just going to laugh at anyone who actually believes him when he says we don't need any new players.
    Great story until last 3 paragraphs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malevolent)
    That's a year old :rofl:
    I know. n:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.