Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    True, I agree to an extent but, you can also say the same with Ozil and he did have a good start to the season and on paper with the genuine players around him, he'll be top 10 no doubt. But with these sort of list, you have to do away with the foot notes as it leaves room for bias and selective opinions.
    But we're talking PL proven so Ozil wouldn't really be. He's proven with Ronaldo, Benzema and Di Maria around him, who are all a level above their Arsenal counterparts. He did well at the start of the season true, but not enough to be top 10 imo.

The thing with 'best players' lists is they always exclude keepers and defensive players. Really you'd have to find a space for Terry, Zabaleta and De Gea (at least) in any top 10.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manchesterunited15)
    So you'd have Suarez, Aguero, Toure, Silva, RVP, Ramsey. What would your other 4 be?
    Probably Hazard, Fernandinho, Zabaleta. Unsure of the last one. Sturridge, Koscielny, Kompany, Mata all make cases. Yours?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Straight up G)
    Probably Hazard, Fernandinho, Zabaleta. Unsure of the last one. Sturridge, Koscielny, Kompany, Mata all make cases. Yours?
    I'd have Mata, Terry, Zabaleta, Hazard.

I want to include De Gea as I feel keepers are discounted too much but I wouldn't know who to remove

ReputationRep:
    But we're talking PL proven so Ozil wouldn't really be. He's proven with Ronaldo, Benzema and Di Maria around him, who are all a level above their Arsenal counterparts. He did well at the start of the season true, but not enough to be top 10 imo.

The thing with 'best players' lists is they always exclude keepers and defensive players. Really you'd have to find a space for Terry, Zabaleta and De Gea (at least) in any top 10.
    Again no disagreement here. I'll also say that the united players shouldn't be considered because overall, they didn't perform well last season (majority of that to do with Moyes but it is what it is).

Well yeah, the ordinary people would ignore those players but we don't because we know it and I'd have those 3 players in my top 10. Along with Hazard, Kos, Yaya, Suarez, Sturidge, Gerrard and Rambo.

I don't think you can say RVP and Mata performed better than any of those lot overall this season. Fernandinho is probably next on the list and tbh. I'll probably have some of the Southampton lots before thinking of putting in any other United player.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by baconbutty)
    did zurich say 25m for cazorla as well? he was bought for 15 and has probably regressed and is 29 years old

hes worth maybe 10-12mil
    Cant see how Cazorla has regressed, he's just proven himself in another league hasnt he? He's not fast and so his technical skills will allow him to play until he's well into his 30s at a good level.

+ He was bought for £15m in a Malaga firesale, we payed all the cash up front and they were desperate.

If Mata and Ozil are £40m then Santi is £25m in anyones book.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    Again no disagreement here. I'll also say that the united players shouldn't be considered because overall, they didn't perform well last season (majority of that to do with Moyes but it is what it is).

Well yeah, the ordinary people would ignore those players but we don't because we know it and I'd have those 3 players in my top 10. Along with Hazard, Kos, Yaya, Suarez, Sturidge, Gerrard and Rambo.

I don't think you can say RVP and Mata performed better than any of those lot overall this season. Fernandinho is probably next on the list and tbh. I'll probably have some of the Southampton lots before thinking of putting in any other United player.
    I suppose it depends how much weight you put on this season. If you're putting a lot of weight on it then I'd agree with you except removing Gerrard for Aguero.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yawn-er)
    Probably been talked about endlessly - but how would you fit Wilshere-Ramsey-Cazorla-Ozil-Fabregas in the same midfield?

All decent quality. All similar players. Ramsey/Ozil/Fabregas are shoe-ins. Wilshere to lose out?
    To be honest we wouldn't, but as has been mentioned we played a lot of games last season with Arteta-Flamini as our double pivot thanks to injuries which have become an inevitability. I don't think we'll struggle to give them games.

Theres Rosicky and Ox too of course. All of them are pretty versatile though, so long as we have one out and out winger the system shouldn't fall apart by playing one of them out wide which is why we need to keep Theo fit and get a new LW.

EDIT: Diaby too, technically.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    Cant see how Cazorla has regressed, he's just proven himself in another league hasnt he? He's not fast and so his technical skills will allow him to play until he's well into his 30s at a good level.

+ He was bought for £15m in a Malaga firesale, we payed all the cash up front and they were desperate.

If Mata and Ozil are £40m then Santi is £25m in anyones book.
    mata and ozil are a lot better and 4-5 years younger than cazorla.

cazorla has had an awful season by his standards 25m for a 29 year old playing like he has been would be david luiz esque

ReputationRep:
    x

(Original post by 419)
    x
    issue with putting Gerrard in this list is that he's only had 6 genuinely excellent months in quite a few years now, maybe as far back as 08-09.

ReputationRep:
    mata and ozil are a lot better and 4-5 years younger than cazorla.

cazorla has had an awful season by his standards 25m for a 29 year old playing like he has been would be david luiz esque
    Will put it like this, Cazorla is invariably selected for Spain and the same cant be said for many class Spanish midfielders, such as Mata actually.

ReputationRep:
    Will put it like this, Cazorla is invariably selected for Spain and the same cant be said for many class Spanish midfielders, such as Mata actually.
    mata is in the spain squad the only reason cazorlas in is because thiago is injured

ReputationRep:
    issue with putting Gerrard in this list is that he's only had 6 genuinely excellent months in quite a few years now, maybe as far back as 08-09.
    Exactly, so I wouldn't have him. Tbh some people probably overrate him based on how good he was as far back as 05 and 06.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carlisomes)
    Cesc is a legend but Santi IMO is better. Has a better work rate and more balls.
    Santi is a beautiful little magician, and is one of the top 10s in the BPL.. But as much as I love him, I can never go as far as saying he's better than cesc. All you need to do is rewind a few seasons back to see how influential cesc was, even with the likes of hleb, rocisky, Nasri etc playing along side him.

He was a real leader and I wish and hope and pray he returns to the emirates

ReputationRep:
    I see this point but to me, in those 6 months, it was playing at a really high level and his form was very vital in morphing Liverpool from 5th to 1st. Remember, many you guys were calling for him to be dropped and suddenly, he became indispensable during those period. I'm judging solely on last season. I really can't leave him out of my list but I can understand why others would.

ReputationRep:
    mata is in the spain squad the only reason cazorlas in is because thiago is injured
    Cazorla makes every single squad when fit, every single one. Mata does not. Nor does Thiago, Koke, Navas, Isco etc

Square that circle.

ReputationRep:
    Cazorla makes every single squad when fit, every single one. Mata does not.
    so do reina and torres what has cazorlas contribution to spains success been? he pretty much only plays in friendlies

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    I see this point but to me, in those 6 months, it was playing at a really high level and his form was very vital in morphing Liverpool from 5th to 1st. Remember, many you guys were calling for him to be dropped and suddenly, he became indispensable during those period. I'm judging solely on last season. I really can't leave him out of my list but I can understand why others would.
    His form was pretty much the only reason, Suarez and Sturridge were still scoring a goal a game between them but we were scoring 3-4 every game, half off the back of his penalties and the rest off the back of his set pieces. But obviously it's not just that, he was outstanding. If you're judging solely on last season then yeah he's definitely in, you can't leave him out, but I wouldn't judge the 'ten best players for the PL' on the back of just one season.

edit: also saying 'many' is unfair - I can't remember many other than myself advocating him being dropped. My issues were with him and Lucas as a partnership - as soon as he got injured, and we switched to 4-3-3 with Lucas holding alone, we beat Tottenham 5-0 and then went on to dominate the second half of the season with Gerrard lone pivot, Lucas not playing. So I was right about the issue, just Stevie decided to reinvent himself

Exactly, so I wouldn't have him. Tbh some people probably overrate him based on how good he was as far back as 05 and 06.
    Just depends on how you want to make your list. Lol, nobody is overrating him based on 05-06, his best season was 08-09 probably and after that it was this last season. Not being overrated at all lately

ReputationRep:
    so do reina and torres what has cazorlas contribution to spains success been? he pretty much only plays in friendlies
    Yea because being picked at GK/ST is as hard as getting picked at CAM for Spain right?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah he played about 10 mins in Euro 2012. Same for Mata though.

ReputationRep:
    Yea because being picked at GK/ST is as hard as getting picked at CAM for Spain right?
    what top ams is cazorla keeping out the squad? he's purely making up the numbers and wouldn't be there if thiago wasnt injured

keepers: valdez, lopez, casillas, de gea

i think it's quite hard to be picked as a keeper for spain as lopez not being included shows :-)

same in regards to llorente/negredo missing out

del bosque is known for picking his favourites cazorla is one of them players don't kid yourself otherwise

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: July 9, 2014
Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.