Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScaryScience)
    I guess from my experience these students would rather not eat than not go out though. really sorry things aren't great for you atm :hugs:
    That sucks

Thanks Same to you

ReputationRep:
    Feeling slightly better.. Wish I could have as hug

Decided getting emotionally attached to people is too difficult, just going to be single and focus on uni from now on.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Odd socks)
    Feeling slightly better.. Wish I could have as hug

Decided getting emotionally attached to people is too difficult, just going to be single and focus on uni from now on.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    you can have a hug! Here you go :hugs:

hope you're alright x

looked through my old threads some of which I am printing off for reference . I have regressed, literally regressed, since this time last year when I came off Fluoxetine too early. The stuff I am saying I don't know now to people, is stuff I made a fricking THREAD on this time last year for the benefit of other guys! wtf wtf wtf

also I really need to start sorting my sleep pattern out. I've almost got my references for the volunteering sorted!

ReputationRep:
    Doctors tomorrow! Well today...

I hope at least i'll get something to help me sleep, is anyone still awake?

(Original post by GivenToTheWildd)
    Doctors tomorrow! Well today...

I hope at least i'll get something to help me sleep, is anyone still awake?
    I am.

---

Really struggling at uni right now, feel like a bit of an outcast.

ReputationRep:
    last night was scarily scarily bad. still feeling very much in crisis

ReputationRep:
    last night was scarily scarily bad. still feeling very much in crisis
    :hugs: You can make it through this!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superwolf)
    :hugs: You can make it through this!
    thanks. I don't think I want to though, tbh. fed up of trying to save myself

ReputationRep:
    thanks. I don't think I want to though, tbh. fed up of trying to save myself
    :console: I can remember feeling like that too, but I don't any more and one day you'll be able to look back on it too knowing you've got better. :loveduck:

ReputationRep:
    :console: I can remember feeling like that too, but I don't any more and one day you'll be able to look back on it too knowing you've got better. :loveduck:
    how do you get better though? seriously, how did things get better for you?

ReputationRep:
    god. the sound of the trains are just haunting me right now

ReputationRep:
    god. the sound of the trains are just haunting me right now
    :hugs: hope you're okay, maybe listen to something that doesn't upset you?

---

still feel really flat, not sure where to start with volunteering ideas but my mum offered to help, feel really out of sorts still as well, sigh.

ReputationRep:
    Been in bed all day and really don't feel like doing anything.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    tryna decide whether or not to email a lecturer who gave us a lecture on anxiety and anxiolytic medications and made a few points that i thought were either wrong or unnecessary, but he's not the most friendly of lecturers and I'm also considering whether to pick him as my dissy supervisor so i don't wanna piss him off.

just a couple things like he explained anxiety as being on the other end of the scale to depression - which makes no sense at all because anxiety is not the opposite of depression, and makes it sound like a state of anxiety is the same as a state of mania, when we know it really really isn't. he also said that people with comorbid depression and anxiety aren't actually depressed and anxious at the same time, they just oscillate between the two - he didn't think depression could occur at the same time as anxiety, which isn't true - you don't have to be happy to be anxious :/ ohh and that you don't get withdrawal symptoms when you come off SSRIs abruptly :/

he's not a clinician so im not like, angry that he said these things, it just concerns me that there are now 100 odd medical students who will be believing the same things :erm:

ReputationRep:
    how do you get better though? seriously, how did things get better for you?
    Drugs (clomipramine especially), time, and learning various coping strategies (I find being creative and doing lots of crafting helps, as does making time to see friends, keeping stress to a minimum, not bottling up emotions or keeping major secrets from people, picking better friends than I used to have, drinking my RDA of coffee [4+ espressos ], not having too many altogether lazy days [I try and do one or two productive things if I can], not having unrealistic expectations of myself/others, keeping my pet mice [has helped so much!], and also I think just generally getting older/maturing slightly has mellowed out some of my problems ).

(Original post by Team_McDreamy)
    tryna decide whether or not to email a lecturer who gave us a lecture on anxiety and anxiolytic medications and made a few points that i thought were either wrong or unnecessary, but he's not the most friendly of lecturers and I'm also considering whether to pick him as my dissy supervisor so i don't wanna piss him off.

just a couple things like he explained anxiety as being on the other end of the scale to depression - which makes no sense at all because anxiety is not the opposite of depression, and makes it sound like a state of anxiety is the same as a state of mania, when we know it really really isn't. he also said that people with comorbid depression and anxiety aren't actually depressed and anxious at the same time, they just oscillate between the two - he didn't think depression could occur at the same time as anxiety, which isn't true - you don't have to be happy to be anxious :/ ohh and that you don't get withdrawal symptoms when you come off SSRIs abruptly :/

he's not a clinician so im not like, angry that he said these things, it just concerns me that there are now 100 odd medical students who will be believing the same things :erm:
    Do you have a seminar with him on the same topic? Cos that would be the perfect place to raise your points. If not, I'd email him by all means. But phrase it well, e.g. saying 'I'd like to offer a different perspective on blah' rather than 'everything you said is wrong.'

I wouldn't worry about the dissertation aspect of things - if the guy can't take a little constructive criticism, he'll probably not be the best person to work with anyway!

ReputationRep:
    Do you have a seminar with him on the same topic? Cos that would be the perfect place to raise your points. If not, I'd email him by all means. But phrase it well, e.g. saying 'I'd like to offer a different perspective on blah' rather than 'everything you said is wrong.'

I wouldn't worry about the dissertation aspect of things - if the guy can't take a little constructive criticism, he'll probably not be the best person to work with anyway!
    nope, its the only psych teaching we get this semester, so we won't touch on the topic again. i might email him in a couple days, when I've worked up the courage to and have formulated what i want to write in my head all my courage and formal-ness has been used up by this dissertation supervisor stress atm

as i said before - i wouldn't mind that he got some things wrong in terms of anxiety - its hard to describe it exactly to somebody who's either not a clinician or not experienced it themselves, i'm more concerned that the people in my year are going to carry that knowledge through

ReputationRep:
    nope, its the only psych teaching we get this semester, so we won't touch on the topic again. i might email him in a couple days, when I've worked up the courage to and have formulated what i want to write in my head all my courage and formal-ness has been used up by this dissertation supervisor stress atm

as i said before - i wouldn't mind that he got some things wrong in terms of anxiety - its hard to describe it exactly to somebody who's either not a clinician or not experienced it themselves, i'm more concerned that the people in my year are going to carry that knowledge through
    I think emailing him is for the best then. If it would help, you could run the email by me and I'll check it for potential ego-bruising.

ReputationRep:
    I think emailing him is for the best then. If it would help, you could run the email by me and I'll check it for potential ego-bruising.
    i might just take you up on that

ReputationRep:
    Counsellor says 'I think we've made some progress today' when she 'figures out' that I ruminate just a bit wtfh, my nan could psychoanalyse that much!

Also have discussed 'Riku' (i.e. the bad online persona of myself, Tom) with her, some stuff on never-ending doubts and rabbit holes of re-assurance

Looking to setup my new account soon enough ladies and gents

ReputationRep:

But what he says is just... wrong. Like outright incorrect. Depression and anxiety can be at the same time and feed each other. Plus they're treated with a lot of the same drugs. He might have meant they're not addictive in the withdraw thing but anyone who does any reading will come across side effects of stopping meds.
    Surely there will be more psych stuff before you're all let loose as doctors.

Posted from TSR Mobile

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 25, 2014
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.