Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU.. Inequalities in health. What is this ****?

(Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    Ah, first year sociology... the Black report :yes: That's the limits of my memory on that subject.
    Am I literally the only person who likes public health?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fission_Mailed)
    One of my friends just moved across the entire length of the UK to intercalate in something like that. You are not alone.

ReputationRep:
    One of my friends just moved across the entire length of the UK to intercalate in something like that. You are not alone.
    That's a relief. Public health is important, people! More important than whatever puny contribution to society you or I will make.

ReputationRep:
    That's a relief. Public health is important, people! More important than whatever puny contribution to society you or I will make.
    Wtf is public health anyway? :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Wtf is public health anyway? :dontknow:
    Haven't a clue, but apparently you need to know it for finals.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    I already hate histology. Can anybody recommend a half-decent textbook that will help me get my head around the basics? The library/reading list has loads, but don't have the time to read through them all atm.
    Do they not give you a sheet with loads of info on that you have to draw the cells/tissues in from the atlas? TBH, you just need to know what's in and how to differentiate between cells (lymphocytes have a big nucleus whereas monocytes have a kidney shaped nucleus) or tissues (they like skin). AFAIK, you don't have to look down a miroscope/at an image and identify what it is. I didn't even do that in exam conditions doing biomed. Can't recommend you a textbook, as I mainly learnt it in my first degree through microscope work/ lectures...

(Original post by Beska)
    I don't really need to learn histology per se, I need to know how to look at histological slides. Does that make sense? The 2D representation of 3D things confuses me somewhat. :p:
    Do you understand how the slides are made? That might help. Main things to look for are: amount of pigmentation in nucleus -hyperpigmentation normally means cancer; abnormal size or shape of nuclei or cells; does everything look roughly the same or is there neoplasia?; is there too much or too little space between layers. Normally, if you are looking for something different, a specific stain will be used but normally just H &E is used for making slides of tissue/cells.

(Original post by Beska)
    I'm finding the transition very difficult. I always knew it would be hard because of the layout of the course but it is ridiculously intense - already nearly finished a case, anatomy of the reps. system, resp. clinical exams and I've been here for what, 2 weeks? Not even met my tutor or peer parent yet, lol. I absolutely dread to think how intense the Newcastle GEP course is...
    I'm not seeing the problem, that's normal :giggle: The first few weeks are always a bit crazy. It'll calm down and you'll get used to it. GEP isn't as bad as you think it is, although that might be the amnesia kicking in.... I'm loving 3rd year- it's so laid back in relation to last year.

(Original post by Penguinsaysquack)
    GEPpers are machines.. only explanation :sadnod::
    or crazy...

The exam format is going to be completely different as well to what I'm used to. I think the biggest thing is trying to figure out how much work this should actually involve - I only have classes on two days, but I haven't yet figured out whether this means I should be in the library on the other days (currently ignoring the project that apparents requires a day a week) or whether a couple of hours a week to keep up to date on lecture material is sufficient.
    Essay questions? How I don't miss those, although it does mean you just need to know specific overviews to topics rather than minutae like in med. It depends on what sort of questions you get set - we had to use the lectures to guide our extra reading :yucky:

FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU.. Inequalities in health. What is this ****?
    Welcome to sociology, thinly disguised as medicine.

Well someone has to do it, just not me :no:

ReputationRep:
    8am GI lecture. Feels bad, man.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    8am GI lecture. Feels bad, man.
    8:30am MDT meeting :sigh:

Oh the joys of the first day of placement :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Any of you guys who are PS Helpers, please please please can you do a review, or even better, a couple of reviews, this week? The UCAS deadline is on Saturday, so we need all hands on deck over the next few days. Think of the Amazon vouchers... they'll be given out just in time for you to do your Christmas shopping...

ReputationRep:
    Gastro is actually ace. First placement syndrome perhaps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mushi_master)
    Gastro is actually ace. First placement syndrome perhaps.
    Perhaps not. My placement has only confirmed the fact that I'm not inclined towards surgery.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kinkerz)
    Perhaps not. My placement has only confirmed the fact that I'm not inclined towards surgery.
    I've not had enough exposure to surgery myself (will be with GI surgeons for three weeks at some point before Christmas), but this placement is certainly confirming that I enjoy hospital medicine, hopefully ruling surgery out!

ReputationRep:
    Enjoyed a pathology lecture today, there is definitely something wrong with me.

ReputationRep:
    Enjoyed a pathology lecture today, there is definitely something wrong with me.
    Yes, yes there is. Time will hopefully cure you.

ReputationRep:
    where can Ibuy stethoscopes for the lowest price?
    and which model is good for a first year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reallys)
    where can Ibuy stethoscopes for the lowest price?
    and which model is good for a first year?
    Littman Classic SE II will be fine. Will cost around £45-50. Would make sure you actually need one first tho.

ReputationRep:
    Littman Classic SE II will be fine. Will cost around £45-50. Would make sure you actually need one first tho.
    yeah my uni advised us to buy one.
    from which website should I buy?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reallys)
    yeah my uni advised us to buy one.
    from which website should I buy?
    BMA normally give out discount codes. I doubt you'll need one before you get that.

ReputationRep:
    spending time in theatre has only made me like the look of anaesthetics, i'm quite surprised as i always thought i'd be a surgical type

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lantana)
    BMA normally give out discount codes. I doubt you'll need one before you get that.
    how can I get hold of one.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.