Oxford Applicants for 2012 Entry Watch

This discussion is closed.
anyone_can_fly
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by 007dunlop)
Guys, if anyone has a spare minute, could they read over this essay? It's real short and it's for section 2 of the TSA. Even if you're not doing the TSA, if you could read the essay and give any comments, that would be great! Thanks!!

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]'Should fines be based on the individual's income?'

I am a wealthy businessman on a night out. I accidently crack a shop windown as I stagger home with friends.
The next week, a group of low income shop assistants are on a night out and the same thing happens again.

In both scenarios, criminal damage has ocurred and in both cases fines for compensation should be issued. The crime is in essence the same for both individuals, so why should one be charged less than the other?

The system of tax in this country is tiered (based on income) and this is understandable, as this is a compulsory fee that has to be paid for living in this country, so it is ludicrous to charge everybody the same level of tax when everyone earns different amounts. A criminal act is not something that affects the majority of people on a regular basis, so there is no need for the same type of system to be in place. At the end of the day, if a crime has taken place, the penalty should be consistent across all social classes and individual incomes. It is this idea that underpins Britain's equal and fair ideologies.

A system discriminating against certain individuals undermines our country's equality and fair policy laws. So what if someone earns less per year? They should still pay the same as everyone else.

One could argue that basing fines on individual income could have negative effects. If someone knows they'll only be charged £10 for littering because they earn less than everyone else, then there's a good chance they'll test their luck and drop it.

This system would also bring grave economic prospects to the police budgets, in a climate a depressed budgets anyway. If a system like this was to be implemented, then databases detailing everyones incomes would need to be established, and inevitably the individual would have to provide proof of their income, meaning police time is taken away from front-line policing and into the office for yet more paperwork.

If I'm speeding through a 20mph school zone then my household income should never even be questioned. At the end of the day, I need to be deterred from doing so, and if my fine would be lowered then (as mentioned previously) there's a greater risk that I'll take my chances.

By taking my chances at getting a small fine, I might deny a child a chance at life.[/COLOR]

Thanks guys!!
I'm not doing the TSA, but you asked for comments, so:

"this is understandable, as this is a compulsory fee that has to be paid for living in this country, so it is ludicrous to charge everybody the same"
This doesn't follow. Elaborate.

"the penalty should be consistent across all social classes and individual incomes."
Ah, but as £50 means radically different things to someone on £50,000pa and someone on minimum wage, is the penalty then the same? For one it's a far greater sacrifice than for the other.

"At the end of the day, I need to be deterred from doing so, and if my fine would be lowered then (as mentioned previously) there's a greater risk that I'll take my chances."
But if you have a lot of money then the fine is probably meaningless, so in this case it would make sense to have the fine set at, say, 10% of a week's wages.

"I might deny a child a chance at life."
Hyperbole.

I don't know whether any of that's helpful.
007dunlop
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by anyone_can_fly)
I'm not doing the TSA, but you asked for comments, so:

"this is understandable, as this is a compulsory fee that has to be paid for living in this country, so it is ludicrous to charge everybody the same"
This doesn't follow. Elaborate.

"the penalty should be consistent across all social classes and individual incomes."
Ah, but as £50 means radically different things to someone on £50,000pa and someone on minimum wage, is the penalty then the same? For one it's a far greater sacrifice than for the other.

"At the end of the day, I need to be deterred from doing so, and if my fine would be lowered then (as mentioned previously) there's a greater risk that I'll take my chances."
But if you have a lot of money then the fine is probably meaningless, so in this case it would make sense to have the fine set at, say, 10% of a week's wages.

"I might deny a child a chance at life."
Hyperbole.

I don't know whether any of that's helpful.
Thanks a lot I guess at the end I'm just trying to make an impact before I finish my essay. This essay section is sooooo hard! The TSA exam is sooo hard!!!
shoshin
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by FuzzySheep)
I was told by the history admissions administrator. I thought the same thing but again, I really don't mind where I go at all.
Honestly, there simply must have been some sort of misunderstanding. By all means make an open application, but it's misleading for potential applicants to be given the impression that doing so increases the likelihood of getting an offer.
SamF1992
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by FuzzySheep)
I was told by the history admissions administrator. I thought the same thing but again, I really don't mind where I go at all.

(Original post by shoshin)
Honestly, there simply must have been some sort of misunderstanding. By all means make an open application, but it's misleading for potential applicants to be given the impression that doing so increases the likelihood of getting an offer.
I agree with shoshin here, everything I was told about applying said you have no better chance if you make an open app. When you make an open app, you're assigned to a college at random by a computer and then you're just like every other candidate, the tutors etc have no idea that you're an open applicant. If Wadham is oversubscribed, if you're good enough in tests/interview etc, you should still get an offer from another college that is undersubscribed.

In short, if you want to apply to Wadham, do so.
don_lad_
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
'Should fines be based on the individual's income?'

Thanks guys!!
I'd recommend submitting it in that exact shade of burnt orange fo sho.
PhateGBR
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Guys, if anyone has a spare minute, could they read over this essay? It's real short and it's for section 2 of the TSA. Even if you're not doing the TSA, if you could read the essay and give any comments, that would be great! Thanks!!!
I'm not doing the TSA, but my main criticism of the essay would be in its lack of structure. I think in the introduction, you need to address the question and make clear where you're going with your answer. Your paragraphs don't really flow, either. I think maybe you should stick to the old PEE rule (or was it PEA?).
fluteflute
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I know nothing about the TSA, and these comments may not be helpful, but I'll make them anyway

'Should fines be based on the individual's income?'

I am a wealthy businessman on a night out. I accidentally crack a shop windown as I stagger home with friends.
The next week, a group of low income shop assistants are on a night out and the same thing happens again.

It's interesting here that you talk about an "accident". I wonder if you could compare the situation where it's an accident and where someone is deliberately parking on double yellows, etc

In both scenarios, criminal damage has occurred and in both cases fines for compensation should be issued. The crime is in essence the same for both individuals, so why should one be charged less than the other?

The system of tax in this country is tiered (based on income) and this is understandable, as this is a compulsory fee that has to be paid for living in this country, so it is ludicrous to charge everybody the same level of tax when everyone earns different amounts. A criminal act is not something that affects the majority of people on a regular basis, so there is no need for the same type of system to be in place. At the end of the day, if a crime has taken place, the penalty should be consistent across all social classes and individual incomes. It is this idea that underpins Britain's equal and fair ideologies.

I don't think you've much of a case that the fines should be different to the tax system. Just because most people don't often pay fines, it doesn't seem to follow that the fine system shouldn't be made fair. However, reading ahead, I think this makes more sense when you talk about it being very complicated to set up, and simply not worth it. Perhaps some restructuring?

A system discriminating against certain individuals undermines our country's equality and fair policy laws. So what if someone earns less per year? They should still pay the same as everyone else.

To me that paragraph is just stating the view, not really adding to the argument. (Especially the second half.)

One could argue that basing fines on individual income could have negative effects. If someone knows they'll only be charged £10 for littering because they earn less than everyone else, then there's a good chance they'll test their luck and drop it.

Not really, because to them £10 is supposedly "worth" the same as £200 to you. An interesting argument would be to say that doesn't really make sense, because goods in shops (e.g. food) aren't subsidised depending on income. But I quite like the way you're talking about the flipside to this, the argument normally is about wealthy people being charged more.

This system would also bring grave economic prospects to the police budgets, in a climate a depressed budgets anyway. If a system like this was to be implemented, then databases detailing everyone's incomes would need to be established, and inevitably the individual would have to provide proof of their income, meaning police time is taken away from front-line policing and into the office for yet more paperwork.

Nice

If I'm speeding through a 20mph school zone then my household income should never even be questioned. At the end of the day, I need to be deterred from doing so, and if my fine would be lowered then (as mentioned previously) there's a greater risk that I'll take my chances.

Just a sec... at the start you were a wealthy businessman. Now you're someone whose fine would be lowered. Make your mind up

By taking my chances at getting a small fine, I might deny a child a chance at life.

I think these last two paragraphs ought to be a single paragraph. I got a bit confused reading it at first
anyone_can_fly
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

:woo::woo::woo::woo:
medbh4805
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I take it all back, my referee talked to me today and virtually all my issues have been sorted. Just have to submit it to the school for them to add in the predicted grades and reference, and it's done! :woo:
dnumberwang
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I should be sending it off tomorrow, just need to read the reference which I haven't actually seen yet
fluteflute
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by dnumberwang)
I should be sending it off tomorrow, just need to read the reference which I haven't actually seen yet
Snap! Except I don't think I'll actually end up reading my reference before it goes off...
Ray of Light
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I can't read mine and I don't want to either haha.
anyone_can_fly
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
My teacher read mine to me to check that there was nothing missed out, it was really nice to listen to!

Although I'm slightly concerned as to what the admissions tutors will think of my "wicked sense of humour". :ninja:
fluteflute
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by anyone_can_fly)
My teacher read mine to me to check that there was nothing missed out, it was really nice to listen to!

Although I'm slightly concerned as to what the admissions tutors will think of my "wicked sense of humour" :ninja:
That's not an incredibly formal thing for your tutor to write :L
anyone_can_fly
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by fluteflute)
That's not an incredibly formal thing for your tutor to write :L
I know! The rest was fine though, so I doubt it'll do anything (I hope). The only possible nightmare is getting to an interview and the tutor saying, "So, I hear you have a wicked sense of humour...". :eek:

She's been writing references for several decades, so I suppose she knows what she's doing. Anyway, I'm the first from my school to send it off.
OneTimer
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Has anyone done any practice for the TSA? what do you reckon is an average score on it?
nightmare91
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by OneTimer)
Has anyone done any practice for the TSA? what do you reckon is an average score on it?
Varies each year. Last year the average was something like a score of 60
CEO94
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Dutcher)
Hey everyone, this question has probably been asked, but I didn't look through the whole thread!
I want to do French at Lincoln college (any other potential Lincoln-ers out there? ) But I got AAAB (B for Psychology which I have now dropped) at AS level, 93% in French.
I got 7A*s 4A's at GCSE which I know is pretty average for Oxford. Do you think my B will hinder my chances?
Also anyone got any advice for applying for French?
Heyy, I got identical to you at AS and GCSE and applying for Law & German- maybe at Lincoln!
fluteflute
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
My school are giving me a mock interview next Monday ( well before we know if I've even got an interview, and only two months before the actual interview...)
Groat
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by fluteflute)
My school are giving me a mock interview next Monday ( well before we know if I've even got an interview, and only two months before the actual interview...)
That's a bit early.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (169)
18.61%
No (553)
60.9%
Not really bothered about them (186)
20.48%

Watched Threads