Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Study Helper

Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Study Helper
    (Original post by rosegarden)
    I think we only get to apply to four where most other degrees can have 5 right? As if it wasn't hard enough :L
    It doesn't really make a difference - if you could apply to 5, there would be more people applying to each uni so the competition would be just as much, if not more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sandra1)
    Yeah it depends what college your going to
    Well when i was near to starting my exams something happened so it affected me in a big way and my school thought it would be ok to take me out of re lessons to do extra maths work so i missed a load of re lessons then my re teacher wasn't in for 7 weeks so i didn't learn anything. Some of my other subjects i might fail because i had to teach myself the work because my teachers either weren't in or we didn't have enough time to cover all of it in lesson
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Study Helper

Peer Support Volunteers
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Sandra1)
    Question,if you dont like your current colly can u change before @ A2
    Yep, you can.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usycool1)
    I did indeed :yep: They went well thanks, got the grades that I wanted.

Do what you want to do; not what your teachers tell you to do. If you do what your teachers tell you to do, you'll quickly get bored in those subjects and getting bored in a subject at A-Level isn't very nice at all. Do psychology if that's what you want to do - as a fourth subject, it's fine!
    YAY! Well done

And thank you I think I'll do psycho then because I don't want to be bored.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EvasiveRose)
    Relax. If you pick History or Psychology and end up not liking it, I believe within the first 2 weeks of school you can still change your options. So you still have a bit of extra time to decide. Good luck!
    Oh that's alright then! I think I'll do psycho and if I don't like it, then I'll change it Thanks!
    (Original post by The Financier)
    Don't worry about the disappointment thing. It's your life your A-Levels go most towards, not them. Yeah, have a read of the syllabus of both subjects and see which one you think you'd enjoy the most and be most comfortable with.
    Yeah, that is true And I think I'd go for psycho then, it has more to do with science and that's what I like Thanks you guys have been a big help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ani97)
    Anyone here do AQA GCSE Drama?
    Yes, got As and A*s in coursework but I'm 90% sure I've failed the exam! How did you find it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usycool1)
    Yep, you can.
    awesomeness

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweet_gyal97)

Aww thanks!!!! Im glad I chose them subjects, I don’t regret it at all…what subjects are u gonna do??
    And yeah!!! That’s exactly what I wanna do some day!! Having my own GP surgery would be amazing!!!
    Don’t worry, hopefully you will get loads of A*’s…tell me what u get okay!!
    Oh really? I didn’t know that they use a percentage of A*’s….because I did 12 GCSE’s that would mean that I would need around 8!!! That’s loads!!

And im not sure which university, I honestly don’t mind, as long as I get to study medicine..i really wanted to go to birmingham but now im thinking that its just toooo competitive (A*AA!!!) I don’t know if ill have a chance….

what uni do u wanna go??
    I want be a gp aswell! Have you decide what a level options to choose?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by theJdog)
    Yeah, that is true And I think I'd go for psycho then, it has more to do with science and that's what I like Thanks you guys have been a big help
    Go for it! Best of luck in College and with your A-Levels.

ReputationRep:
    How do you work out how many UMS each mark is worth , e.g. If an exam is out of 60, 47 marks is A*, 42 marks is an A, from the data how do you work out ums/mark conversion rate ?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by things4life)
    how do you work out how many ums each mark is worth , e.g. If an exam is out of 60, 47 marks is a*, 42 marks is an a, from the data how do you work out ums/mark conversion rate ?

Thanks
    90 ums = a*
    80 ums = a
    70 ums = b
    60 ums = c

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by things4life)
    How do you work out how many UMS each mark is worth , e.g. If an exam is out of 60, 47 marks is A*, 42 marks is an A, from the data how do you work out ums/mark conversion rate ?

Thanks
    They have converters on each exam website or a variation of such :yep: so AQA's is here, Edexcel's is a downloadable excel format here for example! Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosegarden)
    Well of course Oxford looks amazing but wow hard to get into! I like the looks of King's College London but anywhere would do me really! They all have to be at a good 'NHS' standard anyway so anywhere that will accept me I will go

I think we only get to apply to four where most other degrees can have 5 right? As if it wasn't hard enough :L
    I think that's right. With 4 options, it's difficult to get the balance right between the best universities that you have a small chance of getting to, and other universities which aren't quite as good but you've got a bigger chance of getting into. Fortunately, we've still got some time to decide!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 08boothc)
    when do the Edexcel ResultsPlus Direct results get released is it midnight?
    6am

ReputationRep:
    Wow! The last day left! How's everyone feeling? I'm scared now, but am trying to divert my mind

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ani97)
    Anyone here do AQA GCSE Drama?
    I did! I really hated the exam... I think it's unfair - there are some people in my class who have a real talent for drama but struggled with the written paper and come out with grades that are way lower than they deserve. Good luck for tomorrow!

ReputationRep:
    Wow! The last day left! How's everyone feeling? I'm scared now, but am trying to divert my mind
    I'm really impatient :/ I can't really concentrate on anything at the moment... Supposed to be doing an essay for summer work but the INTERNET IS NOT HELPING MATTERS.

ReputationRep:
    Hi to all GCSE Students.

I am an A level student, who was in the same situation as you guys, last year. It's less than 24 hours until you get your results to 2 years worth of work. What must be remembered is if you do not do as well as you wanted in GCSE, it will not effect your potential for A levels. GCSEs are just the first step to your future, with A levels being a more important second step. This is not to say GCSEs are not important, but they are not the biggest decider on what you will achieve in the future, especially when doing your A levels. I have seen those that achieve many A*s at GCSE and just do average at A level, and then there are those who were not completely happy with their GCSE results, but used that as a motivation to achieve very high results at A level. GCSE results might decide your A level targets and expected grades, but targets are nothing really, if you put effort in to your work and revision, targets can be surpassed. What is important to know is that the step up from GCSE to A Level cannot be understated, the step is Big. One nice thing though, is that you will have your results one week earlier!

ReputationRep:

I am feeling the exact same way! I cant eat or sleep or even sit in one place for 5 mins without over thinking about what i may get. Good luck for tomorrow!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flutterby53)
    Yes, got As and A*s in coursework but I'm 90% sure I've failed the exam! How did you find it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I got 113/120 in the controlled assessment which unfortunately is an A, but I am scared because the grade boundary for the exam is really high-90% for an A*! I have no idea how I'm going to get that, and what is worse is that I am so close to the A* ...
    Good luck for tomorrow!

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.