(Original post by Xamanus)
    I know. n:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    So why post it? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    Now that's boredom :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    bale departing from spurs will be arsenals best transfer of the season...

Cant wait!

(though will very much miss his quality from the league)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xamanus)
    Great story until last 3 paragraphs.
    Cool

ReputationRep:
    Good to hear Mourinho's grown up a bit, quite strange to hear him speaking highly of Arsene. We'll see if he sticks to his word and keeps the respect when the season gets underway.

From The Mirror:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    “Arsene Wenger is a nice guy,” said the Special One. “I had a chance to meet him much, much better when I left England. I started meeting him in UEFA, at the Euros and the World Cup. We had dinner and so on.

“We went out with other coaches, in UEFA, in Europe, so it was in a good, nice atmosphere and I *enjoyed speaking with him about football. He is a *person with a big culture, very open to give his opinion on things.

“When you are not in the same league, when you are not playing against each other, it is easier to go deeper. It is easy to speak about football, he’s a very nice guy.

“Now we are in the same league again, but he’s still a nice guy. I respect him a lot and I’ll show my respect always. I wouldn’t bet for one single problem between us.

“Even if you are friends and *respect each other, sometimes you say something the other doesn’t like and you react. But I respect him a lot and I have the feeling that he is the same in relation to me.”

Mourinho has previously taken swipes at Wenger’s eight-year *trophyless run at Arsenal.

The Portuguese still admits he cannot imagine going so long without silverware, but claims he is impressed by Wenger’s *longevity and that the 63-year-old’s previous achievements should not be *forgotten.

“He has to teach me how to *manage one club for so long because I want to be here (at Chelsea) for 17 years,” said Mourinho. “Our last conversation was that I want to be here 17 years.”

Asked if he could go eight years without a trophy, Mourinho added: “No, because of my mentality. I would feel strange.

“But you can do very good work for a club without winning lots of trophies. You can.

“People are emotional and *memories in football are *normally short. People many times forget what people have done. Arsene Wenger is a big, experienced man, he has self-esteem, he knows what he did, he knows what he is doing.

“To have the respect like he has from his board is fundamental and it’s not because of his nice face, it’s because of the work he does and also because of the *respect people have.

“As you know, he had all these chances to leave, all these good, important clubs interested in him. So when he refuses and he wants to stay at Arsenal, it’s because he loves it there. It’s because he has expectations for the future.”

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schichtoe)
    I agree with your post totally, and I think most people would. Further to this point ^ I'd say it's not just that but it's also about the actual business transaction. If you say "Suarez is essential to making us title contenders" it puts further impetus on the transfer, and you as a manager, to make it happen. When Liverpool are already trying to maximise the cash they can get out of the deal, it's important not to guarantee it'll happen and give yourself the opportunity to walk away. Talking in the media like it's essential to sign a new striker will only lessen your negotiation power as the other party will know you need to make it happen or else lose face.
    Interesting point and one that has come up quite a bit. I do agree but we could look at the same thing in another way maybe. A lot of clubs (not going to name which ones) often make their interest public to unsettle the player. If we did say something along the lines of "Suarez is essential to making us title contenders" then that will run through his mind when discussing his future with Rodgers and the club. If Madrid aren't interested in him and we promise CL football and ensure him that he will help us challenge for the title, that would force Suarez to consider us. Its not ethically the right way to go about doing business but it has worked in the past with other clubs..

ReputationRep:
    Come on Jose. I want more voyeurism comment.

If Suarez does stay at Liverpool i see him and Sturridge terrorising defences this season.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malevolent)
    So why post it? :confused:
    Tro?

Also, i dont want Tottenham to sell Bale. If they do it will be a world record price and that could hand a lot of financial power into their hands, they could reinvest in some players we may be targeting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glousck)
    Good to hear Mourinho's grown up a bit, quite strange to hear him speaking highly of Arsene. We'll see if he sticks to his word and keeps the respect when the season gets underway.

From The Mirror:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    “Arsene Wenger is a nice guy,” said the Special One. “I had a chance to meet him much, much better when I left England. I started meeting him in UEFA, at the Euros and the World Cup. We had dinner and so on.

“We went out with other coaches, in UEFA, in Europe, so it was in a good, nice atmosphere and I *enjoyed speaking with him about football. He is a *person with a big culture, very open to give his opinion on things.

“When you are not in the same league, when you are not playing against each other, it is easier to go deeper. It is easy to speak about football, he’s a very nice guy.

“Now we are in the same league again, but he’s still a nice guy. I respect him a lot and I’ll show my respect always. I wouldn’t bet for one single problem between us.

“Even if you are friends and *respect each other, sometimes you say something the other doesn’t like and you react. But I respect him a lot and I have the feeling that he is the same in relation to me.”

Mourinho has previously taken swipes at Wenger’s eight-year *trophyless run at Arsenal.

The Portuguese still admits he cannot imagine going so long without silverware, but claims he is impressed by Wenger’s *longevity and that the 63-year-old’s previous achievements should not be *forgotten.

“He has to teach me how to *manage one club for so long because I want to be here (at Chelsea) for 17 years,” said Mourinho. “Our last conversation was that I want to be here 17 years.”

Asked if he could go eight years without a trophy, Mourinho added: “No, because of my mentality. I would feel strange.

“But you can do very good work for a club without winning lots of trophies. You can.

“People are emotional and *memories in football are *normally short. People many times forget what people have done. Arsene Wenger is a big, experienced man, he has self-esteem, he knows what he did, he knows what he is doing.

“To have the respect like he has from his board is fundamental and it’s not because of his nice face, it’s because of the work he does and also because of the *respect people have.

“As you know, he had all these chances to leave, all these good, important clubs interested in him. So when he refuses and he wants to stay at Arsenal, it’s because he loves it there. It’s because he has expectations for the future.”

Mourinho is a pikey

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheEssence)
    Also, i dont want Tottenham to sell Bale. If they do it will be a world record price and that could hand a lot of financial power into their hands, they could reinvest in some players we may be targeting.
    I disagree. I think they're in the same boat as Liverpool. If they sell their star man, they'll struggle to replace them with anywhere near the same amount of talent.

Rightly or wrongly, if Wenger pulled his finger out of his arse we have pretty much the entire market open to us, below the Ronaldos, Riberys, Robbens, Messis etc. in this world but on the same level as Suarez, Moderic, Fabregas.

If we look at the replacements spurs brought in after Moderic left, they didn't really make much impact. Vertonghan was the good buy for them (he definitely chose the wrong team in N.LDN but that's his choice). But Dembele was pretty poor, Dempsey wasn't that great. I know it's the obvious thing, but Bale really did step up and carry them last season. From his long shots to his assists and overall movement, he was so integral to them in a way RVP wasn't for us - he was simply an excellent finisher but people forgot that we had other players who could score goals other than RVP. Spurs don't have anyone in their team who could get anywhere near replicating Bale.

I for one hope he goes and that will be their threat over with for a while. Even if they can get players, they'll get inflated price requests because of all that money. Just like Napoli paid probably a good 10-15m more than Higuain was worth after receiving an extortionate sum from France.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noone29)
    I disagree. I think they're in the same boat as Liverpool. If they sell their star man, they'll struggle to replace them with anywhere near the same amount of talent.

Rightly or wrongly, if Wenger pulled his finger out of his arse we have pretty much the entire market open to us, below the Ronaldos, Riberys, Robbens, Messis etc. in this world but on the same level as Suarez, Moderic, Fabregas.

If we look at the replacements spurs brought in after Moderic left, they didn't really make much impact. Vertonghan was the good buy for them (he definitely chose the wrong team in N.LDN but that's his choice). But Dembele was pretty poor, Dempsey wasn't that great. I know it's the obvious thing, but Bale really did step up and carry them last season. From his long shots to his assists and overall movement, he was so integral to them in a way RVP wasn't for us - he was simply an excellent finisher but people forgot that we had other players who could score goals other than RVP. Spurs don't have anyone in their team who could get anywhere near replicating Bale.

I for one hope he goes and that will be their threat over with for a while. Even if they can get players, they'll get inflated price requests because of all that money. Just like Napoli paid probably a good 10-15m more than Higuain was worth after receiving an extortionate sum from France.
    Dembele wasn't a poor signing he was quality for the first half of the season. Dempsey was poor. sigurdsson only started shining in the second half of the season. Also while bale did great. Defoe was banging in goals when he was fit just too bad that the other striker was a joke of a player. It's no different to what RVP did for you guys the previous season.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheEssence)
    Don't they want to get a new stadium though? I'd have thought it would go towards that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Dembele wasn't a poor signing he was quality for the first half of the season. Dempsey was poor. sigurdsson only started shining in the second half of the season. Also while bale did great. Defoe was banging in goals when he was fit just too bad that the other striker was a joke of a player. It's no different to what RVP did for you guys the previous season.
    Big difference is that Spurs' star man starts running on some Superman hype ting and they still end up in the Europa :borat:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    Big difference is that Spurs' star man starts running on some Superman hype ting and they still end up in the Europa :borat:
    It's just peak for spurs the second bale and lennon were out I should have put a bet on arsenal making top 4. Wonder how much money I would have got.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glousck)

From The Mirror:
    Spoiler:
    Show

(Original post by 419)
    Come on Jose. I want more voyeurism comment.
    I Loved Henry for setting Mou straight and taking the piss out of chelsea at the same time.
    Name:  TH.png
Views: 109
Size:  221.9 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    It's completely different. RVP was a striker. That's it. Bale is an all rounder who can defend, play make and score goals...

Sorry, but Bale has been much more significant for Spurs in 12/13 than RVP was for Arsenal in 11/12. We didn't even make any major additions (i.e. spent hardly anything to replace RVP - 11m for Giroud? 15m Cazorla but that was nothing to do with RVP leaving).

Bale has far more to offer than RVP did. To say what you're saying is a complete joke...one carried a team whilst the other provided the end product to fantastic build up play from OTHER players.

Let's see Bale go to RM or United then come back in a years time and we'll see where Spurs finish, I reckon 9th at best.

ReputationRep:
    Spurs won't do that badly without Bale. They'll still comfortably finish in the Top 6. Comfortably.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.