Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    They do look at your AS grades to see how you performed and improved since your GCSE's; for example, if those were not so good. I asked this question at an open day at St. Hugh's.

ReputationRep:
    I know this is borderline obsessive but...

What time do Oxford usually sent invitations haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M Kb)
    Don't think this is true - you have to declare your AS results when applying. They are not part of their equations for first round sifting, but they can see them, and choose to look at them, i.e. interpret them and include them in decision making.
    not necessarily. You don't need to put your AS grades if you wish to, but if you do, they will certainly look at it and put it into consideration. but i think it depends on each subject you applied to. maybe it's only for PPE, not quite sure either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PasserbyA)
    My school's admissions counsellor mentioned that the PS was important, but not as important as for other unis for courses that have an admissions test. For those that don't, however, we would have reason to believe that the PS and especially the referral have approximately the same importance as it does for other unis. I mean, most applying to oxford have decent if not good grades (by their standards), and so the PS and referral would be a great distinction between candidates who want the course, and candidates who both want it and can excel in it.
    yes, I agree on the importance of the PS itself, but I mean I don't think they have enough time to read all PS anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bellaofficial07)
    I believe so. the admission said that during the open day. it's because some candidates didn't put their AS grades in their application. they look at the predicted grades and the TSA results for the interview, I believe. not sure if they look at the PS on shortlisting people for interview.
    nah they definitely do sorry, my friend got rejected last year and the reason they gave him when he inquired was his AS grades

ReputationRep:
    yes, I agree on the importance of the PS itself, but I mean I don't think they have enough time to read all PS anyway.
    2 months is a pretty good amount of time to read the PS, but yeah they probably wouldn't read it in too much detail and only go into it come interview, if at all.

ReputationRep:
    Have anyone received an interview invitation from Oxford Engineering? I m so worried now........

ReputationRep:
    any news for geography?

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone heard from St John's regarding Oriental Studies interviews/rejections yet?

ReputationRep:
    Guys, Anyone received reply for Jurisprudence ? hate waiting for replies :O p.s. Wadham college

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reenie.stp)
    Has anyone heard from St John's regarding Oriental Studies interviews/rejections yet?
    I have a friend applying Oriental Studies...still waiting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dabigboy)
    I have a friend applying Oriental Studies...still waiting.
    I know some people have gotten rejections and interview invitations for Oriental Studies but from different colleges as far as I'm aware. The suspense is killing me...

ReputationRep:
    I know some people have gotten rejections and interview invitations for Oriental Studies but from different colleges as far as I'm aware. The suspense is killing me...
    i think that depends on what area of oriental studies u r applying to?
    do you anyone who has heard from Engineering?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dabigboy)
    i think that depends on what area of oriental studies u r applying to?
    do you anyone who has heard from Engineering?
    I've applied for Japanese and I know of someone who's been given an interview invitation for Japanese. They applied to a different college though.

No, sorry, I don't know anyone who has applied to Engineering. You could try searching the thread to see if anyone's said anything regarding Engineering?

ReputationRep:
    not necessarily. You don't need to put your AS grades if you wish to, but if you do, they will certainly look at it and put it into consideration. but i think it depends on each subject you applied to. maybe it's only for PPE, not quite sure either.
    It depends on the UCAS form. I think you have to put your overall grade down but are not obliged to disclose module grades. Of course, it would look odd if you disclosed some modules and not others.

Some of the private school people seem to be doing "pre-U" gce's. Don't know exactly what they are but it means you don't get a grade at AS.

ReputationRep:
    I've applied for Japanese and I know of someone who's been given an interview invitation for Japanese. They applied to a different college though.

No, sorry, I don't know anyone who has applied to Engineering. You could try searching the thread to see if anyone's said anything regarding Engineering?
    i guess the only option left for us is to wait.....
    omgomg so nervoussssssss
    and....GOOD LUCK!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PasserbyA)
    My school's admissions counsellor mentioned that the PS was important, but not as important as for other unis for courses that have an admissions test. For those that don't, however, we would have reason to believe that the PS and especially the referral have approximately the same importance as it does for other unis. I mean, most applying to oxford have decent if not good grades (by their standards), and so the PS and referral would be a great distinction between candidates who want the course, and candidates who both want it and can excel in it.
    They can't guarantee that the student actually wrote the PS. My guess is that in most cases the student has a lot of help.

My understanding is that if they use it at all they only use it for interesting conversation-starters in the interview.

ReputationRep:
    Interview for Economics and Management at Exeter College!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ecconomist)
    Congrats!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ecconomist)
    Congrats!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.