Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squishy•)
    That's literally the same thing. They use up all their higher tiers. Then if they have enough spaces for lower tier they apply a ukcat cut off score. So in order to justify a person with low predictions applying, they'll have to have a high ukcat score to compensate for their lowers predictions.
    Low predictions being A*A*A or A*AA probably though which isn't low at all, so silly tbh lol. You sounded like you were talking about multiple lower tiers which isn't the case as the UKCAT is applied to only one tier is what I was confirming that was all.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .......Jeff458)
    Would love to mention all patterns but I don't know which ones were right and judging by my score, it cannot have been many at all!!!!

But there was one set where there were triangles intersecting each other. Couldn't get that one - tried counting no. of shapes, overlaps, enclosed regions etc etc but couldn't. I remember one set being white shapes at the top and black at the top in set B. It would have been more complex but for that one that's all I realised. The completing series were really staright forward, saw one before where a circle has lines added on and no. increases each box. Other than that I can't remember many as I have been so pissed off. Haha sorry. If I do then I'll let you know!
    For the intersecting triangles one I noticed that in one set the triangles intersected and vertices and other intersected at the sides. Tbh, that's probably the only one I got right. lmao

ReputationRep:
    Defo exeter, you will be in the top tier and ukcat won't be applied to you.
    Do you think Liverpool will be a Gd idea?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HT98)
    Highers are above AS but just below A-levels. Advanced Highers are above A-levels, thats why people only take 2.
    I can just about cope with A-Levels. No idea how advanced Highers are even possible for our age lmao 😂 thanks for telling me!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuba123)
    Just realised we've got the same total...but well done - it could've been worse. I get your disappointment though. Edinburgh would've been great, ngl.

Atleast you can focus on school now and get that AAA.
    Oh ma gad!

I just realised, I calculated my score wrong -_-. I actually got 617 average.

Arrrrrrghhhh damn. Maybe I deserved only 690 in QR then!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Can't think name)
    Do you think Liverpool will be a Gd idea?
    Last year they wanted 625 average, after that they look at PS so if that's amazing then yeah I would go for it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whodareswins)
    827?!?!?
    Wtf man did she sacrifice her soul for that score?!
    omg lmao :d

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by michaela__)
    Could someone explain the Scottish system to me? So if Highers are like AS then why do you sit 5 Highers I don't understand 😂 isn't that too much work?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think highers are a little harder than AS and highers are less difficult than A-levels.

I think it goes like this from least difficult to most difficult. GCSE's, Scottish National 5's, AS levels, Scottish Highers, A-levels, Scottish Advanced Highers.
    (Also I don't know which one is harder out of GCSE's and Nat 5's but people sit like 14 of them while we only sit 7/8 so I imagine GCSE's must be easier). Anyone else agree with this or can tell me if I'm wrong ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Low predictions being A*A*A or A*AA probably though which isn't low at all, so silly tbh lol. You sounded like you were talking about multiple lower tiers which isn't the case as the UKCAT is applied to only one tier is what I was confirming that was all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Wait does that mean I should or shouldn't try with my A*A*A or will the very top tier use ukcat as well?

ReputationRep:
    Wait does that mean I should or shouldn't try with my A*A*A or will the very top tier use ukcat as well?
    I'm gonna ring up and try and find out stats from last year but from stalking last years thread I don't think anyone with AAA was invited for interview! You'll be fine as you'll be in top tier so I wouldn't worry as they only use cut off if they are running out of interviews!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    See if you apply for both Medicine and Dentistry, can you ask to write a second statement for one of them.
    Just out of curiousity?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RossB1702)
    I think highers are a little harder than AS and highers are less difficult than A-levels.

I think it goes like this from least difficult to most difficult. GCSE's, Scottish National 5's, AS levels, Scottish Highers, A-levels, Scottish Advanced Highers.
    (Also I don't know which one is harder out of GCSE's and Nat 5's but people sit like 14 of them while we only sit 7/8 so I imagine GCSE's must be easier). Anyone else agree with this or can tell me if I'm wrong ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I only sat 9 GCSE's I want to a state school so that's probably a reason so I have no idea which is easier/harder, must be similar I'd imagine! Thank you for clarifying though I appreciate it 😋 no idea how people do well in their Highers/advanced Highers it seems so difficult but that's just me looking in I guess so I don't have enough info!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .......Jeff458)
    See if you apply for both Medicine and Dentistry, can you ask to write a second statement for one of them.
    Just out of curiousity?
    I'm sure you can accommodate the two of them into the one PS. I actually had an issue with this; I am applying for Marine Engineering, Mechanical Engineering and Physics courses and I contacted UCAS if I could write an alternative PS for just physics and they said I would either need to try and accommodate all the courses into the one PS or email Strathclyde and ask them if I could write one just for physics and they said that its fine to write about physics and engineering in the one PS. So just try emailing the uni and asking if you could send an alternative PS not related to the one on your UCAS but if they say no it should be fine to put both courses into your PS.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    When i said lower tiers, it was referring to tiers lower than theirs and so they don't have to worry. And 'lower' is relative anyway. Ukcat is still used as compensation and the fact that they use it on only the last tier doesn't make a difference anyway.

ReputationRep:
    just did two of the medify mocks and got really low QR scores!! I'm really scared

ReputationRep:
    They were basically picking on the usage of language which they misunderstood in my previous comment. You will be in the highest tier so you have no worry what so ever.

ReputationRep:
    I only sat 9 GCSE's I want to a state school so that's probably a reason so I have no idea which is easier/harder, must be similar I'd imagine! Thank you for clarifying though I appreciate it 😋 no idea how people do well in their Highers/advanced Highers it seems so difficult but that's just me looking in I guess so I don't have enough info!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The thing is does your exam system not completely differ from ours. Do you's not sit exams by units instead of one major exam at the end of the year ? Like isn't that an advantage cause you's know what's coming up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    They were basically picking on the usage of language which they misunderstood in my previous comment. You will be in the highest tier so you have no worry what so ever.
    No need to be passive aggressive, just wanted to make sure they knew ukcat was only applied to one tier and that tier being the lowest one which it's very unlikely they would be part of😂 I don't mind when people correct me/ask if I'm right, I just peacefully get on with as you do in life.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RossB1702)
    I'm sure you can accommodate the two of them into the one PS. I actually had an issue with this; I am applying for Marine Engineering, Mechanical Engineering and Physics courses and I contacted UCAS if I could write an alternative PS for just physics and they said I would either need to try and accommodate all the courses into the one PS or email Strathclyde and ask them if I could write one just for physics and they said that its fine to write about physics and engineering in the one PS. So just try emailing the uni and asking if you could send an alternative PS not related to the one on your UCAS but if they say no it should be fine to put both courses into your PS.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Don't put two diff courses into ur PS especially if ur applying to medicine cuz it shows ur not committed/fully into it.

ReputationRep:
    I can just about cope with A-Levels. No idea how advanced Highers are even possible for our age lmao 😂 thanks for telling me!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    they were really awful haha ,especially the investigations. No problem!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 22, 2017
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.