Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Been locked out of the office - I don't know what to do I think they've all gone home and locked me out of the office, my car keys and everything are in there how am I supposed to get home
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam89)
    Been locked out of the office - I don't know what to do I think they've all gone home and locked me out of the office, my car keys and everything are in there how am I supposed to get home
    Go to the main office/reception. They should have a key to help you out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ParadoxSocks)
    Go to the main office/reception. They should have a key to help you out.
    Okay will do - how selfish they forgot I exist!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam89)
    Okay will do - how selfish they forgot I exist!
    Could be worse. One of our trainees has been locked in the office. Twice.

I may sound stupid but I am a bit confused about PGCE. I am now at my second placement and although at my first one I was getting 1/2 for my observations , at this school they have just given me a 3. I am really upset because I feel this will impact on my final level of PGCE and I wonder if anyone can tell me, is there different levels of PGCE or just pass/fail? Thank you.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by rustler)
      I may sound stupid but I am a bit confused about PGCE. I am now at my second placement and although at my first one I was getting 1/2 for my observations , at this school they have just given me a 3. I am really upset because I feel this will impact on my final level of PGCE and I wonder if anyone can tell me, is there different levels of PGCE or just pass/fail? Thank you.
      Pass or fail.
      • TSR Support Team
      • Wiki Support Team
      • PS Reviewer
      • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Samus2)
      Pass or fail.
      And thank goodness for that.

ReputationRep:
      Am I missing something about this 'folder' that everyone is talking about? What is it?

I have to upload two pieces of evidence with explanation for each teaching standard online. Is it a paper version of that, essentially?
      • TSR Support Team
      • Wiki Support Team
      • PS Reviewer
      • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Airfairy)
      Am I missing something about this 'folder' that everyone is talking about? What is it?

I have to upload two pieces of evidence with explanation for each teaching standard online. Is it a paper version of that, essentially?
      We have a professional practice folder containing all of the information that we gather about our placements and then our PDRs which is our reflective diary.

At the end we merge these with any other evidence to become our portfolio of evidence which we submit in the last week so they can assess whether we should be put forward for QTS.

It is hell.

ReputationRep:
      We have a professional practice folder containing all of the information that we gather about our placements and then our PDRs which is our reflective diary.

At the end we merge these with any other evidence to become our portfolio of evidence which we submit in the last week so they can assess whether we should be put forward for QTS.

It is hell.
      Ahh, I think that is the thing that we do online. We have to upload all our evidence online and we do the reflective diaries online every week. Plus subject knowledge is on that. I prefer the idea of it being online, I have to say.

ReputationRep:
      Online is good. Does you mentor have access to it? Just wondering?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by rustler)
      I'm on a SDS course (with PGCE) and we definitely get an overall grade at the end. Our final assessment form/grade is also sent to our new employer. The grade is based on our final observation as well as previous observations/advice from our mentors. So, for example, if you're usually getting 1/2 in your observations but for some reason get a 3 in your final one, you can still qualify with a 1 or 2 overall. With the PGCE qualification we're graded as distinction (over 70%), merit (over 60%) or pass.

ReputationRep:
      And thank goodness for that.
      It's worth mentioning that you have to be good or better to pass.

ReputationRep:
      Guys, how have you prepped for interviews? Obviously I'm prepared for my lesson but I mean the actual interview. Do you do anything to prep for that?

(Original post by Grant2007)
      Online is good. Does you mentor have access to it? Just wondering?

Posted from TSR Mobile
      Everyone at uni has access to it, and you can share it with your school mentor. I've never seen the need, but a lot of people do and some mentors want you to.
      (Original post by alabelle)
      What?! We don't! We just need a 3.

ReputationRep:
      Guys, how have you prepped for interviews? Obviously I'm prepared for my lesson but I mean the actual interview. Do you do anything to prep for that?

Everyone at uni has access to it, and you can share it with your school mentor. I've never seen the need, but a lot of people do and some mentors want you to.

What?! We don't! We just need a 3.
      Given that a 3 is now 'requires improvement' rather than 'satisfactory', we have been told we need to have a 1 or 2. I am currently a 3, and I will not pass if I continue with this grade.

ReputationRep:
      Given that a 3 is now 'requires improvement' rather than 'satisfactory', we have been told we need to have a 1 or 2. I am currently a 3, and I will not pass if I continue with this grade.
      Oh that seems really unfair that you would pass the course at my uni but not at yours even though you're getting the same grade

ReputationRep:
      Oh that seems really unfair that you would pass the course at my uni but not at yours even though you're getting the same grade
      Well at the moment I haven't demonstrated the standards yet so I wouldn't pass anyway

ReputationRep:

We have to submit a folder with a standards audit whereby we have evidence for each of the standards.
      the folder includes our journal, 12 formal observations over the course of the two placements and a variety of other things.

At ours, we can be on minimum (we don't get number grades, just on track, minimum, good or high
      • TSR Support Team
      • Wiki Support Team
      • PS Reviewer
      • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Samus2)
      We have to submit a folder with a standards audit whereby we have evidence for each of the standards.
      the folder includes our journal, 12 formal observations over the course of the two placements and a variety of other things.

At ours, we can be on minimum (we don't get number grades, just on track, minimum, good or high
      Mine is similar to yours. Odd that so many unis use different systems.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
      I believe this is why my uni didn't use Ofsted grades to grade trainees. Its very confusing!

We had to have a folder for each placement where we put class info, plans, assessments, reflections etc. We also had a professional development portfolio, which was a folder with all the other evidence documents like observations, records of attendance, reflective tasks, assignment results etc plus photocopies of relevant things from the placement folders like examples of good planning. This wasn't the source of our grade as such, that was mainly tutor and mentor joint judgement, but it was used as evidence, especially if we hadn't had much opportunity to show that standard in person to our current mentor and tutor. Of course that's not to say our didn't need to do it, but they were a bit flexible with it, and the further you went through the course the more they allowed you to develop your own systems, reflect appropriately for you, adapt plans etc

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.