Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glousck)
    Don't they want to get a new stadium though? I'd have thought it would go towards that.
    Some of it will. They won't spend the full £80m if they get that, just as United didn't spend all of Ronaldo's fee in one go. If you go waving cash about, you'll get ripped off. Hence, Arsenal can't get anyone because at the start of the close season, Gazidis blabbed about how much financial muscle we had...now we're getting priced out of realistic deals.

Yep, they've got big problems. No rich owner and they've gotta find £450m. They'll take a big loan most likely, sell naming rights but ultimately they'll fall end up full of debt like a Leeds United. That's why what we did was impressive. Build a brand new stadium and pretty much remain on a par.

All we need is a couple of signings to be back in 2004-07 territory but Wenger just won't do it. Frustrating as a fan but I just want the new season to start already.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kenan and Kel)
    Spurs won't do that badly without Bale. They'll still comfortably finish in the Top 6. Comfortably.
    5th with Bale.

So at least 6th without him? :eyerolls:

I'd say teams below them are getting stronger whilst they would get quite a bit weaker. So many of their players were very average last season. Pretty much all their major summer signings were inconsistent and didn't perform for more than a third of a season at best.

Liverpool are looking better and if they lost Suarez, the hit would be no where near as bad as Spurs losing Bale. Sturridge looked good towards the end, Soldado would come in and some of their midfield players are starting to shine.

Behind them, WBA and Norwich, in particular,have made some amazing signings so far. Then we have Everton who should be there or there abouts, it'll be interesting to see how Martinez gets on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noone29)
    It's completely different. RVP was a striker. That's it. Bale is an all rounder who can defend, play make and score goals...

Sorry, but Bale has been much more significant for Spurs in 12/13 than RVP was for Arsenal in 11/12. We didn't even make any major additions (i.e. spent hardly anything to replace RVP - 11m for Giroud? 15m Cazorla but that was nothing to do with RVP leaving).

Bale has far more to offer than RVP did. To say what you're saying is a complete joke...one carried a team whilst the other provided the end product to fantastic build up play from OTHER players.

Let's see Bale go to RM or United then come back in a years time and we'll see where Spurs finish, I reckon 9th at best.
    :facepalm:
    I get why you'd say RVP has less of an influence than bale. But to say that they'd finish 9th at best without him is a joke. I can see where this is going. Well I'd say that a lot of the play went through RVP and RVP can even change a teams style of play and he's clearly more than a goalscorer, he's a very good provider as well. United wingers e.g. struggled a lot this season because of RVP's arrival and he carried them for a good 7 months when their defence were shocking. He's great at leading the line but his build up play is what also makes him such a fantastic player. He's not a poacher who just sits there.

All tottenham need is a striker who can score goals imo. Also you act like the rest of their team is ****. So you're also trying to tell me that hugo lloris wasn't a good signing and that dembele was a poor signing.

Oh and you clearly improved the team last season massively. Wilshere coming back, giroud, podolski and cazorla coming in improved the team massively so you didn't need RVP's influence as such to stay in the CL. You say that nobody replaced RVP. But you had 4 forwards/midfielders scoring double figures and 3 of the four were bought in the transfer window.

Compare that to the previous season where only RVP and walcott scored double figures with RVP scoring way more than walcott that season. It was clearly an influence similar to that of bale. Just because he plays up top and not on the wing/behind the striker doesn't mean that he can't carry the team.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noone29)
    5th with Bale.

So at least 6th without him? :eyerolls:

I'd say teams below them are getting stronger whilst they would get quite a bit weaker. So many of their players were very average last season. Pretty much all their major summer signings were inconsistent and didn't perform for more than a third of a season at best.

Liverpool are looking better and if they lost Suarez, the hit would be no where near as bad as Spurs losing Bale. Sturridge looked good towards the end, Soldado would come in and some of their midfield players are starting to shine.

Behind them, WBA and Norwich, in particular,have made some amazing signings so far. Then we have Everton who should be there or there abouts, it'll be interesting to see how Martinez gets on.
    Everton have a glass ceiling. Last year was the highest they could go.
    Only team I see above spurs in the near future is liverpool.

Vertonghen, dembele and lloris only performed for a third of the season then. :rofl: do you watch tottenham or just make biased drivel? Only inconsistent signings were dempsey and sigurdsson, you can count adebayor if you want too but he was at spurs the previous season albeit on loan. Majority of their signings worked out.

Spurs getting soldado if they lose bale pretty much nullifies your whole argument. The fact they've got paulinho who starts for brazil, sandro coming back from injury who loss was a partial influence to them not making top 4. Kaboul being injured for most of the season too who's their second best defender. They clearly have enough for a top 4 challenge, without bale I doubt they'd get top 4 but they'd make a decent enough challenge if they reinvested that money into soldado e.g.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Everton have a glass ceiling. Last year was the highest they could go.
    Only team I see above spurs in the near future is liverpool.

Vertonghen, dembele and lloris only performed for a third of the season then. :rofl: do you watch tottenham or just make biased drivel? Only inconsistent signings were dempsey and sigurdsson, you can count adebayor if you want too but he was at spurs the previous season albeit on loan. Majority of their signings worked out.

Spurs getting soldado if they lose bale pretty much nullifies your whole argument. The fact they've got paulinho who starts for brazil, sandro coming back from injury who loss was a partial influence to them not making top 4. Kaboul being injured for most of the season too who's their second best defender. They clearly have enough for a top 4 challenge, without bale I doubt they'd get top 4 but they'd make a decent enough challenge if they reinvested that money into soldado e.g.
    Well wotever spurs do, theyl forever be in our shadow, they can sign messi for all I care but theyd stil finish below us.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArsenalWenger)
    Well wotever spurs do, theyl forever be in our shadow, they can sign messi for all I care but theyd stil finish below us.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Probably. Spurs are cursed man. It's actually peak now.

ReputationRep:
    Spurs are gonna have a pretty physical midfield next year, Kenny Mcevoy can always replace bale when he leaves.

ReputationRep:
    Just hope abou can stay fit for a large part of the season(big ask I know), his physical presence, breakin up play and being able to turn defence into attack in a short amount of time adds balance to our midfield.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footba...erpool-2096477

probably bullcrap but who knows

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Billa Bong)
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footba...erpool-2096477

probably bullcrap but who knows
    If that has any truth then Arsene is taking the ****, atleast bid 45mill but you know 42.5mill will be instant rejection and more comments from rogers.

ReputationRep:

If only they got their decimal places correct, this picture would all the more hilarious

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spontogical)

If only they got their decimal places correct, this picture would all the more hilarious
    40.000001m :rofl: :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Wrt spurs I'm hoping they keep Bale because although they have a decentish team they are still a one man outfit. If he gets some yellows, a red or injured then they'll be dropping many, many points. Also they're only likely to sell him for a price much higher than he's worth to a team who doesn't care about his actual value because they're so rich and will pay more for the best players in the world. If he was to go for 80M and all of that was spent on bringing in new players then I would consider spurs to be a real threat next season. As it is, they peaked last season and I hear this Paulinho guy moved to Greece and flopped big time in between his Brazilian spells so imo we're good for at least 4th next year. To the guy who said they'll finish 9th; it's doubtful. The gap between the top 6 and the rest is massive.

(Original post by Thugnificent.)
    Higuain will score 25 goals+next season I guarantee u lads quote the gawd thugnificent 27th June 2013
    QFT, Gawd.

ReputationRep:

Even more hilarious when you realise that the latest offer isn't even 45, its 42.5 lool

Reports are that Wolfsburg have bid for Gustavo. If he seriously is up for grabs, hope we make a move too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KissMyArsene)
    Wrt spurs I'm hoping they keep Bale because although they have a decentish team they are still a one man outfit. If he gets some yellows, a red or injured then they'll be dropping many, many points. Also they're only likely to sell him for a price much higher than he's worth to a team who doesn't care about his actual value because they're so rich and will pay more for the best players in the world. If he was to go for 80M and all of that was spent on bringing in new players then I would consider spurs to be a real threat next season. As it is, they peaked last season and I hear this Paulinho guy moved to Greece and flopped big time in between his Brazilian spells so imo we're good for at least 4th next year. To the guy who said they'll finish 9th; it's doubtful. The gap between the top 6 and the rest is massive.
    I think it's only a matter of time before Real enter the race for Suarez. If they don't get Bale, that'll only intensify their interest I reckon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nosaer)
    Even more hilarious when you realise that the latest offer isn't even 45, its 42.5 lool

Reports are that Wolfsburg have bid for Gustavo. If he seriously is up for grabs, hope we make a move too.
    I don't get why he bought thiago. I really don't get it. Gustavo should go to arsenal. He would solve your problems man.

ReputationRep:

They even got the clothes spot on as well. This picture is too funny.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    World Cup 2014 going to influence a lot of transfer decisions. Gustavo has to move if he wants to even get in the squad for the WC.

It's why I knew we were never going to get Cesar. He needs to be playing regularly to get picked for the WC and he's not going to start every game at Arsenal whereas he will at Napoli.

Probably influenced Higuain to move away from RM too to get regular first team football so he can be 100% sure of getting picked.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glousck)
    World Cup 2014 going to influence a lot of transfer decisions. Gustavo has to move if he wants to even get in the squad for the WC.

It's why I knew we were never going to get Cesar. He needs to be playing regularly to get picked for the WC and he's not going to start every game at Arsenal whereas he will at Napoli.

Probably influenced Higuain to move away from RM too to get regular first team football so he can be 100% sure of getting picked.
    Napoli got reina on loan. I think roma got cesar.
    The thing is that higuain would still be in the team. He'd get good gametime at real and with lavezzis and aguero's form the past season I could see higuain easily starting for argentina in WC14

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Napoli got reina on loan. I think roma got cesar.
    The thing is that higuain would still be in the team. He'd get good gametime at real and with lavezzis and aguero's form the past season I could see higuain easily starting for argentina in WC14
    Roma bought De Sanctis from Napoli as Stekelenburg's replacement. Cesar is still a QPR player.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.