Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Current Year 12 Thread Mark I (2013-2014) Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Oh my, I'm jealous. Is your school taking on any new students? The move from Scotland would be well worth it!

When you say 'extra work for each subject' what exactly do you mean? Would it be preparation for taking those subjects at university?

Ah, fair enough. If your parents earn that much, I would definitely look into merit scholarships like the Morehead-Cain, Jefferson Scholars, USC scholarships, WashU scholarships, etc. some people have turned down Harvard for the Morehead and Jefferson - granted they are incredibly difficult to get. You essentially get a free education, plus housing, plus a stipend, plus funded enrichment programs to do in the summer.

Great! Yeah, they really shouldn't put people off. It's multiple choice for the majority of the test (bar the essay and working questions in math), nothing compared to even GCSEs where you had to elaborate on answers.
    We genuinely do get a lot of out-of-area applications, but you may well be the first from Scotland to try!

I'm not totally sure what the extra work is yet since it doesn't begin until after exams, it's a year 13 thing, but I believe it's extra in-depth essays in humanities and assignments, investigations and experiments in sciences. I know the people on the programme take over the physics department one lunchtime each week to tackle extra challenging projects. It's less preparation for university, because you take it in all your subjects, not just the one you're applying for (I think?), and more designed to give an extended and stretched curriculum. The idea is that when you go to interview, you know the A level course inside out, have had significant experience and polishing for the interview itself, and you're able to talk in-depth about topics that most other applicants won't even have heard of, let alone studied, as well as being used to thinking about hard problems and tackling them above and beyond what's expected at A2. Mostly the topics aren't much harder than A level, they're just less well known, and the way they're presented is more challenging.

Oops, I seem to have written an essay

Interesting point about those scholarships - I'll look into it I can't help wondering, if the SATs are not much more difficult than GCSEs, how are they comparable to A levels?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EduWiz)
    Is bath a good university??
    Short answer? Yes. It's not Russell Group but it usually ranks well and is particularly good for some subjects, such as Engineering.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cluck)
    We genuinely do get a lot of out-of-area applications, but you may well be the first from Scotland to try!

I'm not totally sure what the extra work is yet since it doesn't begin until after exams, it's a year 13 thing, but I believe it's extra in-depth essays in humanities and assignments, investigations and experiments in sciences. I know the people on the programme take over the physics department one lunchtime each week to tackle extra challenging projects. It's less preparation for university, because you take it in all your subjects, not just the one you're applying for (I think?), and more designed to give an extended and stretched curriculum. The idea is that when you go to interview, you know the A level course inside out, have had significant experience and polishing for the interview itself, and you're able to talk in-depth about topics that most other applicants won't even have heard of, let alone studied, as well as being used to thinking about hard problems and tackling them above and beyond what's expected at A2. Mostly the topics aren't much harder than A level, they're just less well known, and the way they're presented is more challenging.

Oops, I seem to have written an essay

Interesting point about those scholarships - I'll look into it I can't help wondering, if the SATs are not much more difficult than GCSEs, how are they comparable to A levels?
    You never know, I may end up in your A2 class next year.

Ah, that seems amazing! More like a thorough grounding within your subjects, such an ingenious idea.

You should definitely check them out. In fact, I forgot the Robertson Scholar, Emory scholar and UChicago's merit programs out of that bunch.

The standard SAT reasoning test is just that, an aptitude test, it's main purpose is to measure you're ability to tackle problems under a constraint of time. They aren't comparable to A-Levels whatsoever.

SAT subject tests (or SAT IIs) however are more based around a specific subject and it is more than likely you will encounter some A-level content in those. Americans applying to the UK usually sit AP tests and SAT subjects tests - hence they are considered similar to A-Levels.

On a side note, do you guys get the same two weeks off as we do? For October holidays that is, I'm just curious.

ReputationRep:
    You never know, I may end up in your A2 class next year.

Ah, that seems amazing! More like a thorough grounding within your subjects, such an ingenious idea.

You should definitely check them out. In fact, I forgot the Robertson Scholar, Emory scholar and UChicago's merit programs out of that bunch.

The standard SAT reasoning test is just that, an aptitude test, it's main purpose is to measure you're ability to tackle problems under a constraint of time. They aren't comparable to A-Levels whatsoever.

SAT subject tests (or SAT IIs) however are more based around a specific subject and it is more than likely you will encounter some A-level content in those. Americans applying to the UK usually sit AP tests and SAT subjects tests - hence they are considered similar to A-Levels.

On a side note, do you guys get the same two weeks off as we do? For October holidays that is, I'm just curious.
    So the SAT IIs are the harder ones... that makes sense. Would I also need to sit these AP tests or would the A levels be enough?

We get one week for term beginning 28th October Some of the private schools get 2 weeks though. This is the longest half term, I believe.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cluck)
    So the SAT IIs are the harder ones... that makes sense. Would I also need to sit these AP tests or would the A levels be enough?

We get one week for term beginning 28th October Some of the private schools get 2 weeks though. This is the longest half term, I believe.
    Yeah, they are the harder ones. No, A-Levels should suffice - unless you're so much of a masochist that you'd enjoy taking additional qualifications for the fun of it

Muhaha, we get two weeks - I'm on holiday as we speak. I believe we get the same two weeks off in April as well. Not to mention study leave for prelims (mocks)

The 28th is when we come back and incidentally, my first day of work.

ReputationRep:
    I'm getting a week and a half.

3 weeks for Christmas. A week's half term in February. Only 2 weeks for Easter. And then a week's half term in May again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cluck)
    Short answer? Yes. It's not Russell Group but it usually ranks well and is particularly good for some subjects, such as Engineering.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone else applied for the K+ programme at King's college?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cluck)
    Cambridgeshire
    Oh so you pretty much live near Cambridge?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, they are the harder ones. No, A-Levels should suffice - unless you're so much of a masochist that you'd enjoy taking additional qualifications for the fun of it

Muhaha, we get two weeks - I'm on holiday as we speak. I believe we get the same two weeks off in April as well. Not to mention study leave for prelims (mocks)

The 28th is when we come back and incidentally, my first day of work.
    Thanks for all the info

(I'm super jealous of your holidays! :eek:)

ReputationRep:
    I'm back from London! Thorpe Park was amazing! There were hardly any queues!

I went on the swarm, stealth (three times), nemesis, rush, saw (twice), colossus, tidal wave, detonator, vortex, storm surge, zodiac, quantum, logger's leap and rumba rapids!

ReputationRep:
    I have noticed that my secondary school have finally put up the GCSE results breakdown and my year group let the school down badly 88%(-12%) got 5A*-C, 53%(-14%) got 5A*-C including English and Maths-2% didn't even get a single qualification, even though last year 100% got 5 GCSEs at Grade C.I can see why the school hesitated so long to put the results up because they look so bad compared to previous years.I'm pretty sure 53% drops below the national average for the school.If it wasn't for me the top scoring candidate would have only 10A*/A-5 got 10A*/A and I got 16A*/A(11A*s and 5As) showing my superiority.

ReputationRep:
    Is anybody here missing the neg button?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by techno836)
    Is anybody here missing the neg button?
    It's a stupid move
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I personally dont give a **** about rep so... Really doesnt affect me

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Obiejess)
    I personally dont give a **** about rep so... Really doesnt affect me

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes, but you'll ask for French help lets say. If someone gives **** advice and it gets positives (but would have received many more negs) you'd know it was bad advice. But now, you only see green so think it's good and might follow it.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'Evil Fish)
    Yes, but you'll ask for French help lets say. If someone gives **** advice and it gets positives (but would have received many more negs) you'd know it was bad advice. But now, you only see green so think it's good and might follow it.
    I cant even see it because I pretty only use the app- people will just have to quote and say "I think this is inaccurate" or people could just use common sense and evaluate things for themselves
    :teehee:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It's a stupid move

I agree with this :yep:

however there was a point they mentioned in the thread they posted that i agreed with, can't quite remember it though,

tbh i don't use rep that much anyway :L

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Obiejess)
    I cant even see it because I pretty only use the app- people will just have to quote and say "I think this is inaccurate" or people could just use common sense and evaluate things for themselves
    :teehee:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Same, but for users on the browser. Sometimes I go on the browser just to neg a really bad post.

(Original post by techno836)
    I agree with this :yep:

however there was a point they mentioned in the thread they posted that i agreed with, can't quite remember it though,

tbh i don't use rep that much anyway :L
    Meh, I don't use it a lot either. But it should exist!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boy_wonder_95)
    Oh so you pretty much live near Cambridge?
    Pretty much.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.