Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering does the level of difficulty differ every year? Or would it be similar... I wonder if people had to sit the UKCAT with QR questions as difficult as online tests. Just wondering incase I take a gap year to re-apply.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RossB1702)
    The thing is does your exam system not completely differ from ours. Do you's not sit exams by units instead of one major exam at the end of the year ? Like isn't that an advantage cause you's know what's coming up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well I did all linear so all my exams were may/June 2015. I had 3 science papers for each science so 9 in total! So there was 3 units in each science so you could target revision I guess but we still had to know all of it for a 3 week time period during exam time if you get me! I know my older sister etc could sit her GCSEs in year 10 etc and resit units in year 11 to boost her grade and take the stress out. But then Michael Gove happened lmao 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by michaela__)
    No need to be passive aggressive, just wanted to make sure they knew ukcat was only applied to one tier and that tier being the lowest one which it's very unlikely they would be part of😂 I don't mind when people correct me/ask if I'm right, I just peacefully get on with as you do in life.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It was an irrelevant point though. I told them it wouldn't apply to them and only tiers lower than theirs as a compensation and then you tried to correct me saying it's actually not a compensation because it's only applied to one tier to meet a limit.
    Even if your interpretation was true it wouldn't make a difference to their situation; Whether the ukcat is applied to one lower tier it is irrelevant as they're still in the highest one.
    You told me it wasn't right and then re-worded what i said. It's still used to compensate for their grades and it's applied in lower tiers than his because it's not going to be applied in the highest tier.

ReputationRep:
    No need to be passive aggressive, just wanted to make sure they knew ukcat was only applied to one tier and that tier being the lowest one which it's very unlikely they would be part of😂 I don't mind when people correct me/ask if I'm right, I just peacefully get on with as you do in life.Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by Squishy•)
    It was an irrelevant point though. I told them it wouldn't apply to them and only tiers lower than theirs as a compensation and then you tried to correct me saying it's actually not a compensation because it's only applied to one tier to meet a limit.
    Even if your interpretation was true it wouldn't make a difference to their situation; Whether the ukcat is applied to one lower tier it is irrelevant as they're still in the highest one.
    You told me it wasn't right and then re-worded what i said. It's still used to compensate for their grades and it's applied in lower tiers than his because it's not going to be applied in the highest tier.
    You two need to get a room.

ReputationRep:
    Irrelevant? I was making sure they knew for a fact that ukcat isn't really used that much for Exeter, there is nothing wrong with me double checking that with you/them. I don't know why you get so cold over things sometimes, nothing ever means much but somehow it always amounts to something even when I am trying to help someone out too? Just need to move on with it all and stop these little disagreements, when there really isn't anything much going on? PM me if you want to talk and I'll be willing to, but I don't really have a big issue with you so I never quite understand. (Sorry for cluttering the thread everyone I'll stop now)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ASupertramp)
    I'm attempting don't worry 😂 just cba with stuff as I have so much going on myself 😂 disagreeing is fine at times but after so many occasions I'm tired of it all so best to try and sort it👻

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure you can accommodate the two of them into the one PS. I actually had an issue with this; I am applying for Marine Engineering, Mechanical Engineering and Physics courses and I contacted UCAS if I could write an alternative PS for just physics and they said I would either need to try and accommodate all the courses into the one PS or email Strathclyde and ask them if I could write one just for physics and they said that its fine to write about physics and engineering in the one PS. So just try emailing the uni and asking if you could send an alternative PS not related to the one on your UCAS but if they say no it should be fine to put both courses into your PS.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ahhh thanks. Ps are you following me around :/ jks?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ASupertramp)
    You beat me to it! hahahahahahhaha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .......Jeff458)
    You beat me to it! hahahahahahhaha
    Stop 😂😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Can't think name)
    Don't put two diff courses into ur PS especially if ur applying to medicine cuz it shows ur not committed/fully into it.
    I'm not applying for medicine or dentistry. I'm applying for 2 engineering courses and physics, I think it's fine to apply for more than one course, a lot of people I know have done it and they all got offers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh thanks. Ps are you following me around :/ jks?
    Are you no following me m8 ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm not applying for medicine or dentistry. I'm applying for 2 engineering courses and physics, I think it's fine to apply for more than one course, a lot of people I know have done it and they all got offers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What type of engineering if you don't mind me asking? 😋

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Irrelevant? I was making sure they knew for a fact that ukcat isn't really used that much for Exeter, there is nothing wrong with me double checking that with you/them. I don't know why you get so cold over things sometimes, nothing ever means much but somehow it always amounts to something even when I am trying to help someone out too? Just need to move on with it all and stop these little disagreements, when there really isn't anything much going on? PM me if you want to talk and I'll be willing to, but I don't really have a big issue with you so I never quite understand. (Sorry for cluttering the thread everyone I'll stop now)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    They knew that fact when i told it them and before you tried to correct me.
    If you read my previous comment you would see that in no way that could've helped them as you tried to correct me on something which had nothing to do with the topic at hand.
    I am not being 'cold' over anything, i put a smiley face see .
    What little disagreements?
    I don't have anything to move on from.
    Who said you have an issue with me?
    I'm fine out here thanks, there's no reason to talk in PM at all is there?
    I think you are overthinking it hun.

ReputationRep:
    If you read my previous comment you would see that in no way that could've helped them as you tried to correct me on something which had nothing to do with the topic at hand.
    I've PMed you so we don't have to use up the thread so reply to me on there if you want to.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Finally sat the dreaded thing today. Really pissed off if I have to be honest:

VR: 560
    QR: 690
    AR: 600
    SJT: Band 2

Average = 617

Really pissed off. It's not a bad score and I am grateful that it's better than my mocks, but I am really upset that I missed my target score of 700 avergae by MILES. I practiced sooo much. The resources for those interested that I used were:
    - Kaplan 'score higher on UKCAT' book
    - Official Mocks A,B,C
    - Medify (ALL practice questions and ALL ocks etc)
    - ISC 1000Q book including the mock
    - Kaplan online practice test bundle, mocks A,B,C
    - UKCAT Ninja
    - Blackstone Tutors workbook from course
    - UKCAT for Dummies (briefly)
    - How to Master UKCAT (briefly)
    Would like to say these resources helped but clearly didn't get me what I wanted. The real thing was probably most similar to the Kaplan Book for the QR, Official Mocks for AR, VR Medify.

VR: The passages were nowehre near as long as everybody had been stating. Maybe 4/5 paragraphs on average. But the paragraphs were quite detailed. My main problem here was that alot of the texts were quite complex including the questions. I would have been happier with 600 in this section but 560 isn't far off so can't overly complain.

QR: This screwed me over. After skipping the first 10 questions I was panicking and thinking if they were all that difficult. So I slowed down to answer some. BIG MISTAKE. ALL THE EASY ONES WERE AT THE END. I had two sets on pie charts (near end). Really got pissed off because when i began to guess as time was finishing I saw all the easy ones at the end. I really do mean ALL THE EASY ONES. Was hoping for 750+ in this section so really annoyed but when I came out, considering I skipped so many I wasn't too upset with 690.

AR: WTF. The patterns were so easy I was like YAAAAAS. I come and see I got 600... f**k. Like, I am still confused? The patterns I got all fitted and I genuinely was expecting a minimum of 700 once I finished so 600 was like a dagger in my chest.

SJT: Lots of LONG passages with like 2 questions on it only.

Good luck to everyone still to take it. I am really pissed off and don't actually know what to do. I was hoping to apply to Edinburgh but that's out the window now. I would prefer me to stay in Scotland unless it's like oxbridge etc as I have to pay for my own Uni fees. Would appreciate any help now.

Any questions pls feel free to ask although you probably won't want to considering how much i messed that up

what kind of pie chart questions were there??
    was the level of difficultly on all sections equal to medify??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellen111)
    just did two of the medify mocks and got really low QR scores!! I'm really scared
    same ((((((

ReputationRep:
    Oh ma gad!

I just realised, I calculated my score wrong -_-. I actually got 617 average.

Arrrrrrghhhh damn. Maybe I deserved only 690 in QR then!
    650 over here!! So you can't be that bad!

ReputationRep:
    I've PMed you so we don't have to use up the thread so reply to me on there if you want to.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I answered in the previous comment.

ReputationRep:
    I answered in the previous comment.
    I asked you more questions on the PM too?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I asked you more questions on the PM too?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 22, 2017
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.