Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    It all suddenly becomes very clear where Wenger has got the money from to pay for Suarez...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-23482705

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gob Bluth)
    I agree, I don't understand this talk that Liverpool are miles off 4th. If people are this confident put some money on it. It was like 1/2 I think that they won't get CL (same odds as Spurs I know). Liverpool weren't far off last season and have further strengthened since (Both recent windows especially). Yes, they are outsiders (20% chance at the moment which decreases by 10% if Suarez goes IMO) but if the squads don't change much for Liverpool and arsenal now I don't see a huge difference between them anymore. I know a lot of fans are adamant Liverpool aren't worth considering fr 4th so I would be interested to hear a rational answer against what I have said, rather than the negs I would usually get for saying something like this.

It's going to be a fascinating season anyway. Will be interesting to see where arsenal strengthen. Rooney is a perfect signing but won't happen. I really can't see Suarez happening too for a number of reasons so what striker will arsenal go for? That is clearly a position you really need to go world class for along with a DM (making me laugh on here how many people are saying Fellini. Yes he might prefer DM but fact is he has performed vastly better up the field and doesn't warrant a 20m+ price tag or his DM capabilities and won't strengthen Arsenal to the level arsenal need in that position.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Anyone care to answer to some of my questions/comments? It's 4/11 for Pool and Spurs to not get top 4 btw just checked.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    I don't get why he bought thiago. I really don't get it. Gustavo should go to arsenal. He would solve your problems man.
    Because Thiago is gonna be the best midfield play in the world in a few years

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaboy)
    Because Thiago is gonna be the best midfield play in the world in a few years
    There are about 8 young midfielders better than him atm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    There are about 8 young midfielders better than him atm.
    Like who, he is easily the most technically gifted 22 year old out there and he has everything in his game.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gob Bluth)
    Anyone care to answer to some of my questions/comments? It's 4/11 for Pool and Spurs to not get top 4 btw just checked.
    It's not impossible for Liverpool to get top 4 next season of course, just very unlikely. Chelsea, City & United it seems would be impossible to drop out of the top 4, it would be a huge upset unless any of them had to play a lot of extra cup games and won the CL like Chelsea. Spurs, I won't lie, unless Arsenal strengthen then with their current team they could be in for a shout for 4th. If Spurs sell Bale they could still come 5th though imo. Spurs without Bale > Liverpool without Suarez. The Bale and Suarez sagas will be key to who get champions league next season and who doesn't. I think Everton peaked last seasons although they still have a good team to come 5th or 6th so who knows.

In your opinion, how do you think the top 6 will look by the end of the season? My opinion:

1. City
    2. Chelsea.
    3. United
    4. Arsenal
    5. Spurs
    6. Liverpool

I think Arsenal will challenge for the title at one point or another for a couple of months, and the points gap won't be so big, but I just can't see any of City/Chelsea/United coming 4th or lower. I'd be delighted to be proved wrong but I always try to be realistic with predictions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaboy)
    Like who, he is easily the most technically gifted 22 year old out there and he has everything in his game.
    Toni Kroos, Gundogan, Wilshere, Isco, Oscar off the top of my head have all performed at a higher level on a more consistent basis. Then youve got the likes of Illarramendi who've done as well and guys like Draxler who are years younger and better than Thiago was at their age.

ReputationRep:
    I also think another big problem for Liverpool was they had ridiculously inconsistent form, I never remember them winning more than 2/3 games in a row. That's why last season even when they were above us or still in with a chance at 4th at the end of last season I was never worried, they could never put more than a couple of results together. Arsenal on the other hand struggled in stages (start of season and January 2013) but we're very good at fighting for difficult wins, like at the end of the season we were concentrating more on grit and defensive ability to get the scrappy wins rather than focus on an attacking game with lots of passes.

ReputationRep:
    Toni Kroos, Gundogan, Wilshere, Isco, Oscar off the top of my head have all performed at a higher level on a more consistent basis. Then youve got the likes of Illarramendi who've done as well and guys like Draxler who are years younger and better than Thiago was at their age.
    You can also put Eden Hazard in that list.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Wilshere and Oscar better than Thiago. :rofl:

Wilshere's played about 2 games in the last 2 seasons and Oscar is clearly not on Thiagos level. Plus, Thiago has won the CL and multiple La Liga's, only Kroos can match that.

Illarramendi and Draxler? Youre clutching at straws big time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CB91)

Wilshere's played about 2 games in the last 2 seasons and Oscar is clearly not on Thiagos level. Plus, Thiago has won the CL and multiple La Liga's, only Kroos can match that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    lol, JW played 34 times last season and got raves reviews for most of these games(including a motm vs Brazil). Did you see JW play 2010/11? If you did I have no idea why you think Thiago is better given that JW was at least 7/10 in nearly every game and dominated Barca in the 2-1 win.Draxler is 19, he'll be better than Thiago by the time he gets to his age.Oscar/Thiago are at a similar level.

Transfermrkt.de valuations: Wilshere=29m, Thiago=19m, Kroos=28m, Isco=26.5m, Draxler=19.5,m,Oscar=24.5m,Illar ramendi=17.5m

So Wilshere is the most valuable player and Thiago is the 2nd least...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CB91)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    How can that be the measure of a top young talent? I think you'll find that Barca winning the league was more down to the fact that Thiago happened to be a squad member in one of the best teams of all time, with arguably the greatest footballer in history.

ReputationRep:
    Only Kroos, Isco and perhaps Gundogan (performance last night in the Gotze role was exceptional) from that list are any better than Thiago. JW is at about the same level.
    Draxler I agree with though. Every possibility he'll be better than Thiago by his age.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glousck)
    It's not impossible for Liverpool to get top 4 next season of course, just very unlikely. Chelsea, City & United it seems would be impossible to drop out of the top 4, it would be a huge upset unless any of them had to play a lot of extra cup games and won the CL like Chelsea. Spurs, I won't lie, unless Arsenal strengthen then with their current team they could be in for a shout for 4th. If Spurs sell Bale they could still come 5th though imo. Spurs without Bale > Liverpool without Suarez. The Bale and Suarez sagas will be key to who get champions league next season and who doesn't. I think Everton peaked last seasons although they still have a good team to come 5th or 6th so who knows.

In your opinion, how do you think the top 6 will look by the end of the season? My opinion:

1. City
    2. Chelsea.
    3. United
    4. Arsenal
    5. Spurs
    6. Liverpool

I think Arsenal will challenge for the title at one point or another for a couple of months, and the points gap won't be so big, but I just can't see any of City/Chelsea/United coming 4th or lower. I'd be delighted to be proved wrong but I always try to be realistic with predictions.
    This might be an unpopular opinion but if Suarez comes to Arsenal I can see Swansea finishing 6th if they're consistent & Bony hits the ground running.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CB91)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Lol at that bit. I mean technically he has but he played 1 game and it was a dead rubber group game :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Four Queue)
    How can that be the measure of a top young talent? I think you'll find that Barca winning the league was more down to the fact that Thiago happened to be a squad member in one of the best teams of all time, with arguably the greatest footballer in history.
    I was reffering to the "played at a much higher level" point, which is complete bull.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thiago Alcantara is A LOT better than Wilshere. Anyone that says otherwise probably hasn't seen him play. Also, there's no point comparing Jack Wilshere to anyone else who plays football because 90% of the time he's drifting in his wheelchair. You will make a much more rational comparison by comparing him to a 3rd generation Toyota Previa.

ReputationRep:
    lol, JW played 34 times last season and got raves reviews for most of these games(including a motm vs Brazil). Did you see JW play 2010/11? If you did I have no idea why you think Thiago is better given that JW was at least 7/10 in nearly every game and dominated Barca in the 2-1 win.Draxler is 19, he'll be better than Thiago by the time he gets to his age.Oscar/Thiago are at a similar level.

Transfermrkt.de valuations: Wilshere=29m, Thiago=19m, Kroos=28m, Isco=26.5m, Draxler=19.5,m,Oscar=24.5m,Illar ramendi=17.5m

So Wilshere is the most valuable player and Thiago is the 2nd least...
    Transfer market valuations, keep clutching those straws. :rofl:

Thiago has got plenty of rave reviews in more important games than friendlies. At the end of the day youre going to think an Arsenal player is the best thing since sliced bread, even when he's not in the Top 5 young midfielders himself.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CB91)
    Transfer market valuations, keep clutching those straws. :rofl:

Thiago has got plenty of rave reviews in more important games than friendlies. At the end of the day youre going to think an Arsenal player is the best thing since sliced bread, even when he's not in the Top 5 young midfielders himself.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    So what, you think the most widely quoted player valuation source is somehow bias towards Jack Wilshere and against Thiago?

If you honestly dont think JW is in the top 5 of young midfielders then you honestly need to forget everything you think you know about football and start all over again. That's just crazy.

ReputationRep:
    as a neutral fan...(who is a big admirer or thiago)

He is far far to unproven to be put in the catagory of some of those other players..

Wilshire, dispite peoples short memory - has played at the top, and performed very very well in games such as arsenal/barca - in the CL..

Same goes for oscar, kroos, etc.

As of yet - no matter how skilled he may be, Thiago has not done it consistantly enough, at the top level - to be put in the same catagory as the rest of them, who are all regular first team players (when fit)

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.