Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else got the "So you want to go to Oxbridge? Tell me about a banana" book? (the title is something along those lines) Mine came today, I don't know if I'll apply to Oxbridge or not yet but the book will definitely help me in terms of getting myself ready to apply to Russell Group unis at least!

ReputationRep:
    Just got back from a lecture at Cambridge It was fine, though nothing particularly spectacular :dontknow:

(Original post by Pabblethefish)
    Anyone else got the "So you want to go to Oxbridge? Tell me about a banana" book? (the title is something along those lines) Mine came today, I don't know if I'll apply to Oxbridge or not yet but the book will definitely help me in terms of getting myself ready to apply to Russell Group unis at least!
    I thought those things were pretty scammy :holmes:

(Original post by Dalek1099)
    I have noticed that my secondary school have finally put up the GCSE results breakdown and my year group let the school down badly 88%(-12%) got 5A*-C, 53%(-14%) got 5A*-C including English and Maths-2% didn't even get a single qualification, even though last year 100% got 5 GCSEs at Grade C.I can see why the school hesitated so long to put the results up because they look so bad compared to previous years.I'm pretty sure 53% drops below the national average for the school.If it wasn't for me the top scoring candidate would have only 10A*/A-5 got 10A*/A and I got 16A*/A(11A*s and 5As) showing my superiority.
    Congratulations, I've spun back around to thinking you're a troll :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MangoFreak)
    Just got back from a lecture at Cambridge It was fine, though nothing particularly spectacular :dontknow:

Congratulations, I've spun back around to thinking you're a troll :mmm:
    Why?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Why?
    Ooh...I don't know...the "Showing my superiority" part I suppose?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Financier)
    Ooh...I don't know...the "Showing my superiority" part I suppose?
    I have quoted facts though:confused:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    No-one here denies you're academically gifted, but your statement is just sinking in arrogance (your post makes it sound like you think having 5 10A*s-As is a disaster for a school and that your performance rescued the school from the brink of oblivion).

ReputationRep:
    No-one here denies you're academically gifted, but your statement is just sinking in arrogance (your post makes it sound like you think having 5 10A*s-As is a disaster for a school and that your performance rescued the school from the brink of oblivion).
    I thought a troll was someone who lied about things or exaggerated things for personal gain/laughter:confused:How is declaring facts arrogance:confused:If my school didn't have me the top scoring candidate would have 10A*/A.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MangoFreak)

It was free so I don't know what they were scamming from me!

ReputationRep:
    I tend to let people like that remain in their own bubble and bathe in conceit while the rest of the world get on with things :rolleyes:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I thought a troll was someone who lied about things or exaggerated things for personal gain/laughter:confused:How is declaring facts arrogance:confused:If my school didn't have me the top scoring candidate would have 10A*/A.
    No, a troll is someone who's job is to post inflammatory comments designed to annoy/provoke everyone else. I can see how Mango got that interpretation from you.

Well, if someone declares himself rich at your school and brags about how he can afford Object X, Object Y, Holiday Z etc., I'm pretty sure you'll find that arrogant.

You don't seem to understand that 10 A*/As is a very good score in itself. Consider the national average and you'll see that having students achieving those marks is a decent achievement which you shouldn't be putting them down for.

I tend to let people like that remain in their own bubble and bathe in conceit while the rest of the world get on with things :rolleyes:
    I'm only doing this for the sake of the Cambridge Interviewer. :lol:

Nah, Dalek isn't a troll but there are some things I don't think he understands. It probably isn't too hard to look down on everyone who hasn't got his grades when you're him.

ReputationRep:
    Alright, I'll concede that you might not realise the connotations of phrase "my superiority". Obviously, in a literal sense, it's perfectly accurate, but it does give the impression that you see yourself as a better person for it.

It was free so I don't know what they were scamming from me!
    Integrity? :dontknow::lol: I might see if I can get one to see what it's about.

ReputationRep:
    No, a troll is someone who's job is to post inflammatory comments designed to annoy/provoke everyone else. I can see how Mango got that interpretation from you.

Well, if someone declares himself rich at your school and brags about how he can afford Object X, Object Y, Holiday Z etc., I'm pretty sure you'll find that arrogant.

You don't seem to understand that 10 A*/As is a very good score in itself. Consider the national average and you'll see that having students achieving those marks is a decent achievement which you shouldn't be putting them down for.

I'm only doing this for the sake of the Cambridge Interviewer. :lol:

Nah, Dalek isn't a troll but there are some things I don't think he understands. It probably isn't too hard to look down on everyone who hasn't got his grades when you're him.
    Not if they can afford those things:confused:I have just found out someone I know has been given the chance to produce an entire magazine(as declared by facebook)-is that arrogant?Arrogance is when you think you are better than you are but if you express facts about yourself that can't be arrogant.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Not if they can afford those things:confused:I have just found out someone I know has been given the chance to produce an entire magazine(as declared by facebook)-is that arrogant?Arrogance is when you think you are better than you are but if you express facts about yourself that can't be arrogant.
    There will be applicants with better grades than you who are far more modest than you. Juxtaposing you with this entire set of people, you will look extremely arrogant..
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Refer back to my post. It seems to me you believe you've saved the school by having 16 A*s/As which most people would find to be a gross exaggeration that fits the definition of arrogance.

ReputationRep:
    Refer back to my post. It seems to me you believe you've saved the school by having 16 A*s/As which most people would find to be a gross exaggeration that fits the definition of arrogance.
    It doesn't say that in the post though-is this true the top scoring candidate would have only had 10A*/A if I didn't attend-yes
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Only on TSR.... where people predict their STEP results in Year 12.

cough cough dalek

ReputationRep:
    Can I just say...

You're not superior. You're not even that clever compared to people here, so stop acting like your some Albert Einstein with your GCSEs. Added to that, lets be honest, those BTECs aren't equal to GCSEs, that is a load of bull so what are your GCSEs after that anyway? Not that they make a difference.

Also, you said you find M1 SO SO SO hard, which in itself... I won't even bother

You're not superior and you're not amazing.

(Original post by James A)

cough cough dalek
    :rofl: it's so true. We can't even neg :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    Half term today :3

ReputationRep:
    This half term is well needed.

I have a feeling I'm ****** for AS already.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James A)

cough cough dalek
    And such is the reason why I miss the neg button now. :lol:

It doesn't say that in the post though-is this true the top scoring candidate would have only had 10A*/A if I didn't attend-yes
    If it wasn't for me the top scoring candidate would have only 10A*/A-5 got 10A*/A and I got 16A*/A(11A*s and 5As) showing my superiority.
    :facepalm:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.