The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Parties in LA
It's a fair point.

Allen's injury record is also a fair point against him, even if it's improved this season.

The rest of the debate is just speculation on what Klopp wants. I'd be inclined to keep Allen but I'd trust Klopp with whatever he does.

Great thing about this summer is that everyone (fans, squad and higher ups in the club) seem to be 100% behind Klopp.

Who was the last manager who had that?
Rodgers - fans divided from day 1
Kenny - not sure FSG fully trusted him
Hodgson - fans hated him/owners at the time gave him no money
Benitez - divided fans and warred with G&H
Stewart didn't come through our academy (and only really spent 6 months in our U21 team, due to injuries and loans), and he was never a centre back (just played there occasionally, and proved himself most effective at DM). He was a utility player, mainly a fullback but it was mooted that he'd be a DM from day one. He does like to offer himself but his passing isn't so crisp and is a tad bobbly to be honest, which makes me as anxious as Sakho has lately.

He's been touted as a centre-back in a few places, but maybe that's wrong. Yeah, the utility thing is obvious. It happens more and more - players playing in a different position, learning their trade before becoming fixed somewhere else. You could argue Emre Can's three month stint as a centre-back in a back three last year is an example of that, and Carragher/Gerrard both earned their stripes elsewhere before nailing a position down for themselves.

I always remember Martin Kelly was touted as a future centre-back when he burst onto the scene in 2009-10 and was deployed at right-back by Rafa.

I do wonder whether the bobbly passing is down to the pitch. A few weeks ago, the pitch was NOT in a good condition for that United match when I was there - especially on the wings, which is weird, given that those are usually the areas untouched by mud/a lack of turf.
Original post by Mackay
He's been touted as a centre-back in a few places, but maybe that's wrong. Yeah, the utility thing is obvious. It happens more and more - players playing in a different position, learning their trade before becoming fixed somewhere else. You could argue Emre Can's three month stint as a centre-back in a back three last year is an example of that, and Carragher/Gerrard both earned their stripes elsewhere before nailing a position down for themselves.

I always remember Martin Kelly was touted as a future centre-back when he burst onto the scene in 2009-10 and was deployed at right-back by Rafa.

I do wonder whether the bobbly passing is down to the pitch. A few weeks ago, the pitch was NOT in a good condition for that United match when I was there - especially on the wings, which is weird, given that those are usually the areas untouched by mud/a lack of turf.

If he's been touted as a CB then it's not because of a youth career as a CB, he rarely played well, or at all, there. DM was where he started excelling. To be honest when we got him, it was seemingly just to be a filler player who could bed in quickly, having worked with Inglethorpe before. Nobody ever gave him a first team chance. Even now I don't see how he fits in long term, but he's proved us all wrong so far so fair play and I hope he keeps it up.

It's not a new thing, CBs are more often than not bedded into the team in the lower pressure position of fullback. I've read that Carragher was a utility player who became Rafa's CB, rather than a CB who used fullback as a route to first team experience (like, eg, Kelly, Smalling, Chambers). Can played 2 senior seasons before that so I don't think that's true at all. Kelly excelled at RB and was MOTM against Lyon on his debut, I don't know if they're veiled shots at Rafa but they're not valid.

Possibly/probably could have had an effect, but I think it's just his passing technique.

Kelly excelled at RB and was MOTM against Lyon on his debut, I don't know if they're veiled shots at Rafa but they're not valid.

No they are not 'veiled shots' at Rafa ffs. It was a statement. There was no clandestine meaning.

Rafa had the vision to make Carragher the bedrock of a defence after he spent years and years playing right-back, left-back, centre-back, holding midfield etc.

Famously, in his youth career he was absolutely prolific as a striker. Mainly because he was taller than most of his counterparts, as he openly admits.
Original post by Mackay
No they are not 'veiled shots' at Rafa ffs. It was a statement. There was no clandestine meaning.

There doesn't have to be this aggro, plenty of LFC fans take shots at Rafa for various things and Kelly's injuries are frequently blamed on him. 'RB burned him out' etc
So, Mahmoud Dahoud. Anybody know anything about him? I rarely watch Monchengladbach. What a name, though.
Hmm, we don't play on 15th April because it's the Hillsborough anniversary. If this year wasn't a leap year Thursday would be the 15th, what would have happened in this case given that Europa matches are all played on a Thursday?

Not that it matters, just wondering.
Original post by Mackay
I think 4-4-2 is the most obvious, given the strength we showed playing with two strikers at the weekend. For that reason, though, Klopp could just as easily want to spring a surprise and not deploy both Sturridge and Origi.

Thursday's team announcement promises to be fascinating.

For me it would be more of a surprise if he went with both Sturridge and Origi, especially after the result of the first leg and leaving both Coutinho and Lallana on the bench on Sunday.
Original post by RVNmax
For me it would be more of a surprise if he went with both Sturridge and Origi, especially after the result of the first leg and leaving both Coutinho and Lallana on the bench on Sunday.

I think Coutinho is the first name on the team sheet so would be Lallana/Firmino on the bench (if we went for that formation).

If only we could play 12 players eh?
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
Hmm, we don't play on 15th April because it's the Hillsborough anniversary. If this year wasn't a leap year Thursday would be the 15th, what would have happened in this case given that Europa matches are all played on a Thursday?

I'm guessing we'd ask for special dispensation from UEFA, but they wouldn't allow us to have it I don't think.

It would be an emotional occasion - especially if it was a home tie.
Liverpool appointing Andreas Kornmayer as their new fitness coach from next season. He's been at Bayern Munich for the last decade. The current fitness coach was appointed by Rodgers and is leaving in the summer.

Anyone seen Moreno's new tattoo? Bit weird..
Original post by Zerforax

Anyone seen Moreno's new tattoo? Bit weird..

Really weird. But he's a bit daft in general. That tattoo suits his playing style.

Likely to be on a Tuesday since that's what happened if two clubs from the same city played in Europa on the same Thursday.

Since this is the last year of the memorial thing, this sort of thing is still going to apply from next year? so it'll be on a Sat - PL/FA cup semis maybe.
Reply 6313
Do you really think the Kloppo effect actually had any impact on their performances?
It didn't directly influence the individual performances on the day, but the media lead up to the game and the significance of the opponent probably put more pressure than you'd have felt in other games. Tuchel has a reputation of "making Klopp teams more mature" and had exactly that to prove. Klopp's reputation there is still that of a mastermind who knows his players in and out and the management, fans and (many) players still love him as a brother, leader, father figure etc respectively. Add to that Liverpool's still amazing reputation there compared with eg City, Anfield being seen as a "fortress" etc. I don't know, but BVB work a lot through the emotional factor in most of what they do, so I don't rule it out that they feel pressure from smthg like that more.

And thoughts on Tuchel bottling the 0-0 vs Bayern too?
I don't think he bottled it. That game was a good performance from BVB, they played on the same level as Bayern for at least half of the game. Unfortunately though Tuchel didn't manage to instill that Klopp-like belief and motivation in them that would have made them gain confidence from the great first half and chase the victory more; they looked too tame in the second and let Bayern dominate again (ofc Bayern were just good too..).

Tuchel is a quite cool and calculating coach, he still has to find a way to to get players 100% firing for games against superior opponents. On the flipside he has made BVB keep their calm when leading or missing loads of chances more.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Vae
It didn't directly influence the individual performances on the day, but the media lead up to the game and the significance of the opponent probably put more pressure than you'd have felt in other games.

I'm a firm believer that, when the teams are on the pitch, all the build-up fades away. I doubt the Klopp return impacted the players, but you're right, the onus on him pre-match was probably an unhealthy environment for Dortmund.

Didn't one of their directors openly admit they were worried that Dortmund fans would cheer Klopp over Tuchel, even if he led Liverpool to victory on the night?

Original post by Vae
Tuchel has a reputation of "making Klopp teams more mature" and had exactly that to prove. Klopp's reputation there is still that of a mastermind who knows his players in and out and the management, fans and (many) players still love him as a brother, leader, father figure etc respectively.

I have to admit, I loved Tuchel's joke about Klopp moving to Liverpool helping Tuchel decide "where to manage next" haha.

Tuchel strikes me as much less vocal and much less of an extrovert, so it's no surprise some Dortmund fans are still enamoured by the cult of Klopp, who wears his heart on his sleeve and is such a positive and energetic figure.

Both have their qualities, of course. Tuchel made Mainz much stronger after Klopp left and led them to the EL - and didn't he set a record for a winning streak back in 2010?

Part of me wonders what the pair of them could do together. Obviously, it would never happen, but Tuchel is a man who micro-manages every detail apparently. Apparently he oversees every aspect of training - right down to marking the pitch and placing the cones. Him on the training pitch, Klopp in the dugout. Seems a perfect recipe.

If he wasn't such a good number one, he'd be a great number two.
Hopefully the season prices will be reduced so we can get the fans back 🙌

Agree ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is a half and half scarf acceptable tomorrow night? :redface:
Good to see Origi in the press so much over the past few days. The lad has got his head down and worked really hard, and it's good to see him building such a relationship with our fanbase.
Is a half and half scarf acceptable tomorrow night? :redface:

Yeah of course it is. Tomorrow night is the type of night that they exist for.

Latest