Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lovegossip)
    same ((((((
    As long as you are getting 600ish I wouldn't worry about it too much, keep practicing obvs but focus on AR as that seems to go much worse on the day for a lot of people (and obviously VR)!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squishy•)
    Well I tried to get it sorted, sorry you aren't willing to talk more lmao

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Just did the wretched thing...
    VR 670
    QR 770
    AR 610
    SJT Band 1
    I know they're not the best but given that I quite literally guessed 80% of AR I'm not too sad :ashamed:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d010534)
    VR 670
    QR 770
    AR 610
    SJT Band 1
    I know they're not the best but given that I quite literally guessed 80% of AR I'm not too sad :ashamed:
    Well done!! That is an amazing average!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Sensing negative vibes fam. Awkwardly waiting for someone to talk about something else... :? :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuba123)
    Sensing negative vibes fam. Awkwardly waiting for someone to talk about something else... :? :/
    I feel the same way lol 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    VR 670
    QR 770
    AR 610
    SJT Band 1
    how did you find QR before your test? like in the mocks? ive been doing so badly I'm very worried and my test is next week*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by michaela__)
    I feel the same way lol 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
    *listens to "Brenda's got a baby" by Tupac whilst dressed in traditonal Pakistani clothes, waiting for something to happen." LMAO

ReputationRep:
    Well done!! That is an amazing average!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Omg thank you so much x you're so sweet ❤

Bit disappointed with it though... 683 average isn't something I feel like boasting about... but AR was an absolute killer imo... I'm pleased with the SJT tho and QR was a surprise bc I ran out of time and didn't even have time to guess the last few :/ VR was a total prat though - the paragraphs were long and difficult to understand, even for a natural reader like me...
    Do you think I have a chance of getting in? And if yes which unis do you think I should apply to??

Thank you so much xx

ReputationRep:
    How many AS levels are people putting on their UCAS form with the new linear exams? I did 2 subjects where AS counted and 2 where they didn't, but took exams in all 4. Would I have to mention the AS exams I took that don't count towards my results?

ReputationRep:
    Omg thank you so much x you're so sweet ❤

Bit disappointed with it though... 683 average isn't something I feel like boasting about... but AR was an absolute killer imo... I'm pleased with the SJT tho and QR was a surprise bc I ran out of time and didn't even have time to guess the last few :/ VR was a total prat though - the paragraphs were long and difficult to understand, even for a natural reader like me...
    Do you think I have a chance of getting in? And if yes which unis do you think I should apply to??

Thank you so much xx
    No problem lovely😋 honestly 683 is very much something to brag about! It's highly likely going to be very above average I can't stress that enough! I get you with VR however you still did amazing on VR too! Yes you have a huge chance of getting in as long as the rest of your application is good. I'd look into Manchester, HYMS, if you are a partners applicant I would attempt Newcastle (you'll have to have a research with that one though). You'd be fine for Liverpool as well but since their ukcat cut off is very likely to be below yours by quite a bit I'd try and research around to find uni's that will benefit your higher ukcat! Deffo look into HYMS as your SJT band is used post interview was well! Maybe try Sheffield too as they rank on ukcat and based on last year you should be fine (again have a research though)! X

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellen111)
    how did you find QR before your test? like in the mocks? ive been doing so badly I'm very worried and my test is next week*
    Don't worry you'll be fine! I found it quite hard at first to be honest... but the more practice you do the better a score you get. Most important thing is to read the question as carefully as possible!!! And be quick with the calculator. Try to get used to the numberpad on the keyboard bc it will save tonnes of time!
    Practice your mental maths too!!
    Make sure they give you a whiteboard and pen before you start bc I forgot to ask and had to waste time asking for one...

You're going to do well if you work hard so dont worry (:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emelinaw)
    How many AS levels are people putting on their UCAS form with the new linear exams? I did 2 subjects where AS counted and 2 where they didn't, but took exams in all 4. Would I have to mention the AS exams I took that don't count towards my results?
    My college is making me disclose all of them even though none of them count. However, I know private schools don't need to disclose them (heard that at liverpool's open day from the admissions tutor) so depends what school you go to as well! Have a word with your school is the best bet 😋

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by Squishy•)
    They knew that fact when i told it them and before you tried to correct me.
    If you read my previous comment you would see that in no way that could've helped them as you tried to correct me on something which had nothing to do with the topic at hand.
    I am not being 'cold' over anything, i put a smiley face see .
    What little disagreements?
    I don't have anything to move on from.
    Who said you have an issue with me?
    I'm fine out here thanks, there's no reason to talk in PM at all is there?
    I think you are overthinking it hun.

ReputationRep:
    My college is making me disclose all of them even though none of them count. However, I know private schools don't need to disclose them (heard that at liverpool's open day from the admissions tutor) so depends what school you go to as well! Have a word with your school is the best bet 😋

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't go to a private school, but I was really hoping not to put them down (B,B). I know the majority of medical schools say they're not looking at AS this year but I still feel like it could put me at an disadvantage

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emelinaw)
    I don't go to a private school, but I was really hoping not to put them down (B,B). I know the majority of medical schools say they're not looking at AS this year but I still feel like it could put me at an disadvantage
    I completely get you, I'm in a similar position with one of my subjects 😂 I'm hoping as long as our predictions are decent then it'll be okay as most say they aren't looking at AS like you said so we will just have to believe it and hope for the best lol😂 x

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No problem lovely😋 honestly 683 is very much something to brag about! It's highly likely going to be very above average I can't stress that enough! I get you with VR however you still did amazing on VR too! Yes you have a huge chance of getting in as long as the rest of your application is good. I'd look into Manchester, HYMS, if you are a partners applicant I would attempt Newcastle (you'll have to have a research with that one though). You'd be fine for Liverpool as well but since their ukcat cut off is very likely to be below yours by quite a bit I'd try and research around to find uni's that will benefit your higher ukcat! Deffo look into HYMS as your SJT band is used post interview was well! Maybe try Sheffield too as they rank on ukcat and based on last year you should be fine (again have a research though)! X

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh my God, you've made me feel so much better I love you xx
    lmao I can't apply to Manchester because I haven't got the relevant work experience - they want volunteering and my volunteering in the hospital will start at the end of October, after the application deadline so I can't talk about it in my personal statement
    I know for sure I'm applying to Nottingham and Leicester bc they're closest to home... so I kinda have to apply for them
    And I was 99% going for SGUL but now that you mention it, I might go look at HYMS
    Liverpool I was going to put reluctantly because of their gcse selection process...

One question though... Surely it's better if I apply to unis with a lower UKCAT cut-off?? Bc then loads of ppl with lower scores would apply and this would give me a good ranking and I would have a better chance of getting an interview? Idk tho... It's my first time applying though and I'm not too well-informed about the whole thing :/

My GCSEs are kinda **** too tbh... 2A*s, 6As, 2Bs, but that was because I went to a school which was in special measures (on the verge of being closed down because it was so bad) the year I did my GCSEs...
    Got 4As at AS which I was pleased with but the unis don't look at them anymore unfortunately...
    So yeah, I really don't know what to do... help... :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Oh my God, you've made me feel so much better I love you xx
    lmao I can't apply to Manchester because I haven't got the relevant work experience - they want volunteering and my volunteering in the hospital will start at the end of October, after the application deadline so I can't talk about it in my personal statement
    I know for sure I'm applying to Nottingham and Leicester bc they're closest to home... so I kinda have to apply for them
    And I was 99% going for SGUL but now that you mention it, I might go look at HYMS
    Liverpool I was going to put reluctantly because of their gcse selection process...

One question though... Surely it's better if I apply to unis with a lower UKCAT cut-off?? Bc then loads of ppl with lower scores would apply and this would give me a good ranking and I would have a better chance of getting an interview? Idk tho... It's my first time applying though and I'm not too well-informed about the whole thing :/

My GCSEs are kinda **** too tbh... 2A*s, 6As, 2Bs, but that was because I went to a school which was in special measures (on the verge of being closed down because it was so bad) the year I did my GCSEs...
    Got 4As at AS which I was pleased with but the unis don't look at them anymore unfortunately...
    So yeah, I really don't know what to do... help... :confused:
    No worries! Oh that's very unfortunate . Well there are places like Plymouth, st George's, already mentioned Liverpool up there that have lower cut offs so you are safe at those and they work towards your advantage as you still meet the cut off but as your ukcat is quite high it might also be useful considering other places as well! Whereas for me I'm simply looking to meet the cut off but you could also be fine if they ranked applicants (basically you have quite a few options so you are lucky!). Your GCSEs are really good and so are your AS well done! I'd say maybe don't try HYMS as they score with GCSEs too (work out your score though and see what you get and consider). Apparently UEA are good for ukcat but I'm not considering there so you'll have to have google for yourself for that one apply to Exeter if you have A*A*A*/A*A*A predictions though I'd say as very likely you would get an interview! SGUL would be a very good option! (I'm applying there too!) you should be guaranteed an interview there by the looks of it x

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone here know if exeter count maths and further maths as separate subjects? I really want to apply there but my only achieved A*'s are in Maths and Further maths!!

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ignore her
    She ain't worth your time.

She's ignored like 4/5 of my posts Lol

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 22, 2017
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.