Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Troubled_Student)
    Inter have a lot better defence than you in all fairness, and let's face it defending is stereotypically Italian teams strong point, and add to that that Jose always instill strong defences in his team.
    I'm not an Arsenal fan. The point still stands, it is not impossible to park the bus and get past Barca in this competition.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darth Maul)
    :lol:

That's an unjustified, unverified claim.

Here is my version

Every team in the world would lose to Manchester United 9/10 times

Barca play in the la liga where teams aren't as good at they are in the Premier League. Barca are poor when they come away to England. They are an over rated unproven team at the moment. And I doubt they will win the champions league this season.
    This is retarded Barcelona can only beat what is in front of them they destroyed another top team in Real Madrid.Obliterated Man United and Arsenal in successive years in the Champions League. Overrated?

ReputationRep:
    :lol:

That's an unjustified, unverified claim.

Here is my version

Every team in the world would lose to Manchester United 9/10 times

Barca play in the la liga where teams aren't as good at they are in the Premier League. Barca are poor when they come away to England. They are an over rated unproven team at the moment. And I doubt they will win the champions league this season.
    Unproven? So 2 Champions Leagues, 2 semi-finals and now in the quarters in five years is unproven?

Words cannot begin to describe how utterly retarded that statement is.

ReputationRep:
    They are an over rated unproven team at the moment. And I doubt they will win the champions league this season.

:facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    Over the 2 legs I think Arsenal can be proud, they got a good result at home, riding their luck for 45 minutes, and could've had the draw here, its just defensive solidity is not in their mentality the way it is for Inter last year. Barca didn't themselves look their best(which is a credit to the result) tonight and were guilty of over-playing at times. Still, I think they do have a tendency to get better as the competition progresses and any team will want to avoid them. Inter and United have shown in the past 5 years that they can be beaten with a really solid defensive display at the Nou Camp and lightening quick counter attack at home, and I think if they go out a strategy similar to Arsenal's in this leg will be their undoing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kenan and Kel)
    Chelsea and even United will have 'em
    Chelsea, no

United... doubt it again, Barca like that can beat.... anyone really?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CB91)
    And there is a difference between the whole of Barcas defence being slightly higher, as opposed to "allowing another player to get forward" as you put it. The two are different things.
    Both things happened, no RvP allows at least one extra player forward/ free to receive the ball.

(Original post by CB91)
    Sending offs do change nearly every game. But in this one it didnt, you were getting spanked either way.
    Meh, one goal more goal and we were through. The red card made it a different game. Yes Barca would've been on top had he still been on, but I've already stated the implications of him getting sent off, you can't say him getting sent off didn't make it a different game, it did. I don't understand how you can't understand it.

ReputationRep:
    Looks like Szczesny could be out for a while - which leaves James Shea or Damian Martinez as our backup keeper.

Fun times.

ReputationRep:
    "barcelona made bendtner look like a virgin"

ReputationRep:
    Err what. ^

Personal viewpoint of the game:

Our best players - Almunia, Djourou, Diaby, Nasri.

Everything good came through Abou - used his strength excellently though lucky not to give away a peno - Nasri never gave up and Djourou did nothing wrong at the back.

Our worst - Clichy, Fabregas.

Both were too laboured too close to the penalty area.

Couldnt believe Robin's red card - especially as Barca had a free kick in the last few minutes that took over 30 seconds to take.

An unfortunate but not unexpected outcome - and a positive aggregate scoreline for the team, to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    Just came back from watching the match.

What's the overall opinion after this game?

Ref cost us? Or we just werent good enough?

ReputationRep:
    Bendtner... *facepalm

he just needs pace, to be skilled at holding the ball up pitch and shooting from the first touch, clinical finishing and the strikers touch, apparently he lacks all of the above

ReputationRep:
    "You can't do that there...that's Fabregas......Messi...MESSI"

ReputationRep:
    Such a frustrating night. Completely outplayed and I congratulate Barcelona on playing so well but the referee completely ruined this game. The standard of refereeing is declining very quickly but nobody within the game can say anything unless they want to be fined.
    Oh yeah, how on Earth was Abidal allowed to stay on the pitch?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by badger-man)
    Such a frustrating night. Completely outplayed and I congratulate Barcelona on playing so well but the referee completely ruined this game. The standard of refereeing is declining very quickly but nobody within the game can say anything unless they want to be fined.
    Oh yeah, how on Earth was Abidal allowed to stay on the pitch?
    Or Busquets for that matter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusion)
    "You can't do that there...that's Fabregas......Messi...MESSI"
    First rule of defending: CLEAR THE ****ING BALL!
    :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukejoshjedi)
    Bendtner... *facepalm

he just needs pace, to be skilled at holding the ball up pitch and shooting from the first touch, clinical finishing and the strikers touch, apparently he lacks all of the above
    Add heading to that since he is supposed to be a target man type player .

ReputationRep:
    If Abidal gets a red then RVP has to get a straight red as well for the Alves thing, very similar incidents.

His second yellow was a joke tbf. Didn't make a difference wrt the result imo but it's a decision you don't want to see in football. You had your fair share of luck for 135 minutes of the tie but it doesn't justify such a daft red.

Mascherano's tackle on Bendtner at the end was brilliant, even if he shouldn't have been allowed to make it. A few signs of encouragement but the gulf in class was really apparent. Think you've got a decent chance to bounce back at the weekend though, we're ridiculously reliant on Nani and it looks like he won't play after Carragher's ABH.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vn2009)
    Just came back from watching the match.

What's the overall opinion after this game?

Ref cost us? Or we just werent good enough?
    Definitely the latter.
    Defense played pretty well though and Almunia had the game of his life.

On another note, Alves is a ****.

ReputationRep:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.