Doctor Who - Discussion Thread II Watch

This discussion is closed.
SirMasterKey
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
I loved the part where they all said 'spoilers' to River in a sort of tired resignation. :ahee:
Same, I love how it now goes full circle for the whole 'spoilers'.

(Original post by Hype en Ecosse)
Well, River has no idea of anything about The Doctor - why would his real name mean anything to her? I think it would be something about their future together, or as simple as "I love you"

So by that logic, silence falls when the Doctor dies? That's an interesting point, because we don't see what happens after the Doctor dies, so silence could have fallen after that. But I don't think we know anything about The Question so I have no speculation on what it is. I think it's something we won't be able to understand until later in the series
Well, I don't think he knew for sure at that point that he would be saved and he needs her to know that so that she tells him it in her future and his past so that he trusts her and all that jazz.
sleekchic
Badges: 2
Report 7 years ago
Maybe there are two Silence (Silences?) - the religious order who tries to blow up the TARDIS because Silence will fall and they are trying to prevent that and the Silence in TIA/DoM who raise a young Melody Pond to be a killer in order to prevent the Doctor asking the question because it'll make the other Silence fall?

Tbh my head hurts but I hope the question/answer is more satisfying then the one in Hitchiker's guide to the galaxy if that's where Moffat gets his reference from.
elitepower
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think silence will fall is the silence being defeated. Why they want to defeat the Doctor is what interests me. Why go to all the effort of kidnapping and raising Melody to kill the Doctor? How is he such a threat to the silence and their question?

Unless their plans have something to do with time. Think about it he is the last of the time lords and the silence raised Melody to kill him as well as blowing up the TARDIS. By episode 13 something has happened to time. Maybe the silence want to meddle with time but know the Doctor could stop them so are planning to kill him first.
SirMasterKey
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I wonder if the Omega II symbol is the symbol for followers of the Silence?
Hype en Ecosse
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Future Doctor's orders. Well he mentioned that they would go there before he went and got himself killed. Obviously he wanted them to deal with the Silence and girl in 1969. Why remains a mystery.

It's tricky. Other dialogue lines would be

"We ran from the Silence"
To Amy: "We do you honour. You will bring the Silence"

And they've named themselves (whatever their true species actually is) after it. The way they keep saying it might suggest they want it to happen however it could also be a religious chant of it happening, like a forewarning.

Things I don't get is why blow up the TARDIS on the day of Amy's wedding. More importantly, if not for the wedding then River wouldn't exist. Were they trying to stop River from being born? What do you achieve from doing that exactly?

If we believe the first speculation in your post, then we have to assume they are good - and they aren't.

So I'd bet on the second one. They want Silence to fall. That could mean silence literally as in the destruction (which has been done to death) or something much more sinister. Or maybe it's an object or a person. 'Fall'.

If it was referring to them, why would they name themselves The Silence? If you follow me...they named themselves The Silence after they found out about the Question and what it does - thus establishing themselves as a religious order.

The line from the "vampires" doesn't necessarily mean they ran from the organisation though. It could mean the event of Silence falling. After all remember at the end of the episode? "Do you hear that Rory?" "All I can hear is...Silence..."

The second piece of dialogue if we apply Occam's Razor it says that Amy asks The Question, but I'm going to stick with my previous argument and say that it's more likely that Amy (or even Melody) causes the Doctor to ask The Question.

What's to say that it was the Silence that caused the TARDIS to explode? It was never explained who did it, just that the villain was still out there? And what says it exploded on 26/06/10? River just landed in that time, the Doctor told her to get out of there, she opened the door and there was a stone there. I took this to mean that she had made it back to stone henge but with the TARDIS facing one of the stones. This could still be 26/06/10, or it could be any other period that stone henge is there.

If we believe the first speculation of my post, it doesn't mean that the Silence are good. It just means that Silence falling is a bad thing for them.

I am equally confused why they would name themselves after the event however, unless they wanted it to happen - which supports the second speculation.
Hype en Ecosse
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by SirMasterKey)
Same, I love how it now goes full circle for the whole 'spoilers'.

Well, I don't think he knew for sure at that point that he would be saved and he needs her to know that so that she tells him it in her future and his past so that he trusts her and all that jazz.
So basically you agree with me?
SirMasterKey
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Hype en Ecosse)
So basically you agree with me?
In part. However if it was along the lines of 'Me name is...and I love her' then what sort of responce would that give? I think you would get a 'I think she already knows that.
Hype en Ecosse
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Silence falling is bad for them? Why though? If other races have something to fear from the Silence and they (the silence) can go to the extent of blowing up the universe, this obviously implies that, if they are motivated to stop the silence falling, they are doing this for a good cause - to preserve themselves or other races. And I wouldn't buy that they are in fact good.

A question is asked and suddenly they are eliminated or it is bad for them? The Doctor eliminating whatever fellow members they had on Earth in one swift move didn't do the job ?
I don't follow Confidential, unfortunately. Leading me to get slapped about in this thread

But how does seeking the preservation of themselves make them good? Then by your logic trying to survive is an inherently, morally, good act. Which I don't agree with

I don't draw favour to either of my two conclusions, I hold them as equally as likely, but (in keeping with one of them) by stopping the Doctor they'd stop Silence Falling, and (unless they're good, which I disagree with) they would be trying to stop Silence because it would be bad for them (because they wouldn't want to stop Silence if it didn't affect them and only affected other races, because they're not good0, themselves - meaning they'd do it for selfish reasons.

On the other hand, they might want Silence to Fall.
SirMasterKey
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I just had a theory or two regarding the eye patch Viking from this mini series trailer. Post contains potential future spoilers-regarding who is in later episodes

Spoiler:
Show
He could be some randomer, not significant at all except for being someone associated with Dorium perhaps who is rumoured to be in the finale however I do believe he is in prison.
humy369
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
OMG this is all giving me a terrible headache
And why are capitalising 'The Question' :confused:
ChoYunEL
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Did anyone else see the advert where Matt Smith kisses James Corden?
Or was I seeing things...
SirMasterKey
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Maybe someone just asks an awkward question which is followed by an awkward silence. 'Silence falls after the Question is asked'. Happens all the time in real life. :pierre:
Amy and Rory are giving Melody/River a tour of the Tardis when they get to their bedroom.

Melody: So Mum? Dad? What's so special about this room?

Awkward silence

:teehee:

There's been an awful lot of religion going on with the Clerics and Headless Monks...
Which has led me to think that maybe the Omega II sign is a symbol of the Silence possibly.
(Original post by hoYunEL)
Did anyone else see the advert where Matt Smith kisses James Corden?
Or was I seeing things...
Well I don't think they actually kissed but yep, I saw it.
Bella Occhi
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Unpopular opinion: I was really unimpressed with this episode :no: I really enjoyed the first half of the season, but have had a nagging feeling for a while - and this ep really exemplified it - that Doctor Who seems to have recently become less about having fun exploring the universe, defeating monsters and saving people. Instead it’s practically been reduced to a few core components:

FEZ. JAMMY DODGERS. HELLO SWEETIE. MY LOVE. FEZ AGAIN. SPOILERS. JAMMY DODGERS. FEZ. BAD THING, DOCTOR NO LIKE BAD THING. BAD BAD BAD THING. FEZ. SASSY FEMALE CHARACTER WHO HAS AN ATTITUDE PROBLEM AND CONSTANTLY GETS ONE UP ON THE DOCTOR. TWELVE JAMMY DODGERS AND A FEZ.

The only thing I did like was
Spoiler:
Show
how they tied in the explanation of why River dies and doesn't regenerate in the Library episode.
Colonel.
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Four minutes in, I hate Mels.
fwed1
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Couple of questions:

Why does River not die when she gets shot by the Germans? She said something about regenerating but I thought if you were killed while regenerating that was it?

And what did fish fingers and custard have to do with anything?
rmhumphries
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by fwed1)
Couple of questions:

Why does River not die when she gets shot by the Germans? She said something about regenerating but I thought if you were killed while regenerating that was it?

You can heal much more than you normally could within the first 15 hours of your regeneration cycle. But it seems for this to work, you have to finished your the regeneration first.
Colonel.
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yeah, still hate her.
SirMasterKey
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by fwed1)
Couple of questions:

That is a good point actually.Maybe the shots missed vital areas? Or she has got regeneration down to a fine art?

Fish fingers and custard was just something to remind the Doctor of little Amelia Pond and of someone's life he hadn't (yet) screwed up. He wanted comfort in that fact.
LastLordofTime
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by fwed1)
Couple of questions:

She got shot in her stomach (I think, minor details like this are things I tend to forget) which is not immediately fatal, which let her start the regeneration process. If she had then been shot in the head, she would have died.

Three things can kill a Time Lord (and River) completely when they still have regenerations left:

1) Dying instantly (For example: having their head chopped off, being shot in the head etc)
2) Being killed during regeneration (but it has to be fatal - not a healable wound)
3) The Time Lord choosing not to regenerate.

Edit: Bah, realised you meant the second time XD The answer is - the same reason David Tennant regrew his hand when it got chopped off by the Sycorax. She was done regenerating, but still had regeneration energy inside her.
Mess.
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I still don't see how River Song is able to regenerate. So easy to make a Time Lord :rolleyes:

Thought the episode was a little bit meh. Ok but nothing great.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (342)
37.75%
No - but I will (72)
7.95%
No - I don't want to (64)
7.06%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (428)
47.24%

Watched Threads