ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reallys)
    Is MDu membership free?
    As a student, yes.

ReputationRep:
    Is MDu membership free?
    Yeah

I joined just for the free Oxford Medical Dictionary. Which is quite good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spacepirate-James)
    Yeah

I joined just for the free Oxford Medical Dictionary. Which is quite good.
    I missed freshers week, how wil I be able to join?

and get my free dictionary??

ReputationRep:
    I missed freshers week, how wil I be able to join?

and get my free dictionary??
    Join online and then they should send it to you in a week or two.

Aww. Why did you miss freshers' week

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spacepirate-James)
    Join online and then they should send it to you in a week or two.

Aww. Why did you miss freshers' week
    thnks

I was checking and they have asked to fill form and send.
    I'll send it off on monday then.

ReputationRep:
    everything.

I don't drink so dnt go clubbing(personal reason to religious)
    I haven't started working though

And I seem not to fit in, no friends
    I just seem to go to lectures sit alone finish lectures come back watch movie sleep

same thing everyday and I feel depressed.

I have just been lazy and not in the mode to study. ( my mistake )

I have been quite a shy person from childhood.

any advice how I can change myself.?
    I'm gonna approach things from a fitting in point of view (maybe someone else will post from a work point of view). Hopefully some of this will help.

You don't have to drink to go clubbing; indeed you don't have to go clubbing at all (though I appreciate it may not be particularly helpful hearing that when so many freshers events are fuelled by copious amounts of cheap alcohol). It helps to step out of your comfort zone (re. introducing yourself and talking to people, as a shy person), but there's no need to try and be something you're not.

As far as making friends goes, clubs & societies are absolutely the way to go to. At Imperial for example, there is Hindu soc, Christian Medical Fellowship, Muslim Medics... they're as much social and welfare outlets as they are religious. Obviously you've got your sports and what have you - they're fantastic too, but admittedly some do live for drunkenness/nakedness/drunken nakedness.

For comparison, I got involved with a few societies, but it took me until third term of first year to find a clique, and the two terms after that to really settle into it.

Also, I'm not advocating not working, but at Imperial at least you don't have to work until just before Easter. Obviously it depends on your course, but I think it's more important to focus on settling in and enjoying yourself this term; when that happens, the rest will follow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blatant Troll)
    x
    The not working part is only true if you are the sort of person who can cram, but essentially yes. I also still want to know who you are...it annoys me

everything.

I just seem to go to lectures sit alone finish lectures come back watch movie sleep

I would echo what BT said. Go and join societies brilliant way to meet people who have a common interest so you have something to talk about straight away!
    Also not everyone drinks, there are other people who choose not too.
    You can do club nights sober but as you say you are shy that probably won't work well...
    You have to go out there, people are not going to come up and say will you be my friend. You have to just get talking to people. I know it is hard but once you do it a few times it gets easi

ReputationRep:
    everything.

aw :C lots of sad faces - I really hope you feel better soon.

we all feel **** and like this from time to time, and I know it can feel like there's no way around/imagine feeling happy; but I promise it goes eventually, and I've realised it does easily if you really want it to.

you can meet people by going to societies of things that you are into - or maybe try some new ones. if you want to feel happier and confident/relaxed socially, I can strongly recommend exercise.

you could just start with running and stretches at the gym, and then combine the two by starting some beginners classes at the gym.

ps. you don't have to drink or go clubbing if you don't like it for whatever reason. you don't have to change who you are. you just have to try and realise everything is in the brain; it's what you want it to be

ReputationRep:
    everything.

Regardless of what's getting you down, try not to sit in at home every evening. Go out, even if it's just for a walk round the block or to go to the gym. I'm guessing from the responses that you're at ICL, so go to the museums, check out the local area. I had a day off yesterday and spent it wandering round the V&A by myself...

With time you'll meet people through group work or by joining societies, but in the meantime try not to stay at home feeling sorry for yourself. It's easy to get into that habit, but it's just going to make the isolated feeling worse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazylemon)
    The not working part is only true if you are the sort of person who can cram, but essentially yes. I also still want to know who you are...it annoys me
    If we end up in the same hospital this year then I promise to say hi. Scout's honour.

ReputationRep:
    everything.

I don't drink so dont go clubbing(personal reason to religious)

I like the way how i dont drink so i dont go clubbing go together in the same sentance!!
    Two of my friends dont drink for religious and personal reasons but still come out clubbing.

I wonder if maybe people think you like being alone? Strange as it sounds some people enjoy their own company so dont mingle alot do you think that you could be giving that impression?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lantana)
    I've never been to a medsoc yet...Anyhow I'm back for the weekend tmrw and wanted to snoop round your room :yes:
    :eek:

:p:

ReputationRep:
    Just finished my first week of a sub-internship in the US. Wow.
    The role of the finalist there is insane. You are literally an extra intern, which has taken a lot of getting used to. We are rota'd onto the intern schedule, six day week, q4 call. Have to preround on all patients before 8AM ward rounds, 20 minutes per patient say, 6 patients to see = 5AM wakeup :/ no EWTD here!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blatant Troll)
    If we end up in the same hospital this year then I promise to say hi. Scout's honour.
    See you know who I am so this is SO unfair.

PM me? Please? PLEASE?
    This is getting annoying

ReputationRep:
    Heartbreaking finish to that match.. it was almost the comeback of the century. At least we can look forward to enjoying a good few years coming up with a great young team. Cymru am byth
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    :eek:

:p:
    Good night out? Anyhow, off to the metrocentre. How I have missed Newcastle's shops
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lantana)
    Good night out? Anyhow, off to the metrocentre. How I have missed Newcastle's shops
    Ahhh the good ole Metro Centre :daydreaming:

I need to head into town over the next couple of days to finally get myself a duvet cover :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by digitalis)
    Just finished my first week of a sub-internship in the US. Wow.
    The role of the finalist there is insane. You are literally an extra intern, which has taken a lot of getting used to. We are rota'd onto the intern schedule, six day week, q4 call. Have to preround on all patients before 8AM ward rounds, 20 minutes per patient say, 6 patients to see = 5AM wakeup :/ no EWTD here!!
    Tbh, that's quite standard for Surgery in many hospitals in the UK. The person doing my surgery job I'm due to rotate onto starts an hour early to see all the patients before the ward round at 8 and afternoon ward round starts at 5:30 despite the F1 hours only meant to be working to 5.

Despite all the moaning about the EWTD, in practice, most people regularly work over.

ReputationRep:
    Formative exam on Wednesday. It doesn't count for anything ... but I've just realised that I've not adapted, at all, to university study and am basically cramming four week's of stuff into a few days. Eurgh.

:teeth:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.