Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

15 August 2013 A-Level results: Discussion thread - results day is here! watch

(Original post by venenecinema)
    That's complete nonsense. If you believe that **** then you don't deserve to go anywhere decent.
    No it's not. Oxbridge are the best for a reason. They take in the best people for a reason.

ReputationRep:
    gonna wait out till 1am , then go to bed. remember these are pretty massive documents they are uploading - AS+A2 grade boundaries for loads of different subjects , plus other qualifications aswell. if its not up by 1am , then may aswell sleep and see em in the morning

(Original post by Huntx)
    Stop being judgemental. People at imperial have done well to get in there. Have you thought that you might not be of that class? Or maybe resit if you feel that your grades don't represent your ability.
    Please anyone can get into Imperial.

Only the heavenly few get into Oxbridge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamJHill)
    Fed up of people acting like it's the end of the world if they're not good enough for Oxbridge.

Get over it, you'll make something of yourself wherever you go if you're that determined.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Surely they are entitled to be disappointed? It takes a lot of work to aspire to go to these places, and missing out on going to the one of the best establishments in the world by such fine margins must be horrible. In the heat of the moment they may be incredibly upset because they worked so hard for something and didn't achieve it. It's not like unsuccessful Oxbridge applicants give up with life, they get on with it. It just must hurt for a while afterwards.

And no, I didn't apply for Oxbridge myself. But being the best takes a lot of dedication.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boy_wonder_95)
    Yh this happened in March aswell... they'll be released sometime during this night, but I don't think anyone will be sleeping
    Great looks like I'll be on edge for hours then Are you staying up? You're waiting for one OCR exam arn't you?

ReputationRep:
    50/75 for an A for Edexcel Maths C3

56/75 for an A for Edexcel Maths M1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lorem Ipsum)
    I'm fairly sure about History and Philosophy, less sure about Geography and Drama. What subjects are you waiting for? Nothing quite like consoling oneself over Big Macs .
    Ah, Philosophy. Ditto on that one. What modules did you study? I had to do God both years and it got boring. :/ And English Language and English Literature. I'm alright for Lit, I think, just language is tormenting me a little bit. :confused:

Haha, very true my friend. I will wash down my processed burger, cheese and fries with a pint of self-pity sprite.

ReputationRep:
    Loving alternating between this thread and reading the results day excuses hashtag on Twitter.
    'Dad: Why did you get a bloody E?!'
    'Me: But dad, E means excellent :hide:'
    *hiding from the dreaded slipper beating*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zizza)
    Indulge me for a minute - I'm a confused parent! Why is it so important to find out grade boundaries when you don't know what marks you got in your exams?
    During the exams we basically add up our potential marks! Especially for maths papers as it's more of a simple yes/no. Also can relax us as if they are low it hopefully means we will get a better grade! And if it's really high....well then we're screwed!

Oh God

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimmy20002012)
    What does everybody think about this:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...00-pupils.html

Posted from TSR Mobile
    is this old? It mentioned Blair

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    I'll throw a huge hissy fit on results day. Because I know I got **** marks.
    If you know that dont get so butt hurt over not going to Oxbridge then, not a lot you can do is there.

As was said before, totally ridiculous things to base your self worth on.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Where are the ****ing grade boundaries? Let me see how **** I actually did.

ReputationRep:

Poor effort. 0/10

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zizza)
    Indulge me for a minute - I'm a confused parent! Why is it so important to find out grade boundaries when you don't know what marks you got in your exams?
    Because you can take a gander at what mark you might get and how the exam went overall for everyone. Like lower grade boundaries from last year mean it was harder and more likely to get a better grade. but higher grade boundaries and we all freak out. :woo:

(Original post by SamJHill)
    If you know that dont get so butt hurt over not going to Oxbridge then, not a lot you can do is there.

As was said before, totally ridiculous things to base your self worth on.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    My intelligence (or lack of) contributes a lot to my self worth.

ReputationRep:
    I did not get straight As, let alone 90%+. I know.
    Hey, I just read your previous post. Seriously, don't worry. Before you assume anything, wait till you get your results. Mine certainly weren't special (AAAC with 88% in my top 3) yet I managed to get a place - and several stastical analyses i've come across clearly show that this isn't uncommon either. I'd assume the process for HSPS is quite similar to that of geography, and its competitiveness isn't much different either (3 applicants a place). If you really love your subject as you do, having grades that aren't the average for success doesn't discount you as much as you may think - especially for arts subjects.

Also at this point it's probably worth me pointing out that I had the same doubts as you, and I was quite scared I wouldn't get an A in history year - but I did.

Chin up! If you want, PM me after you get your results and we can have a chat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimmy20002012)
    What does everybody think about this:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...00-pupils.html
    Oh dear.

Then again... there is always some sort of fiasco on Results day :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:

If you don't get into imperial il be laughing somewhere. Best of luck though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zizza)
    Some unofficial mark schemes where made after the exams where sat, so many of us have a general idea of our mark. Also a low grade boundary would suggest a difficult paper, which may comfort some if they found the paper alright.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.