Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Mental Health Support Society Mk XIV watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    i have to wear shorts and a t-shirt for a tutorial tomorrow morning, which coincides with a horrendous drop in body image + i always get questions on my scars. i hate these sessions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superwolf)
    Could anyone who lives with you wake you up? Or if not that, get someone to phone repeatedly?
    I'm in halls and so I don't think so, I also don't think anyone would call me everyday to wake me up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moment of truth)
    I'm in halls and so I don't think so, I also don't think anyone would call me everyday to wake me up.
    It's worth asking at least I reckon. :dontknow: Your flatmates might be getting up at a similar time to you, and it takes very little effort to knock on the door for a minute. Or if anyone in your family will be up and about at that time they might agree to phone you every day for a week, which could get you into the habit of waking at the right time.

ReputationRep:
    It's worth asking at least I reckon. :dontknow: Your flatmates might be getting up at a similar time to you, and it takes very little effort to knock on the door for a minute. Or if anyone in your family will be up and about at that time they might agree to phone you every day for a week, which could get you into the habit of waking at the right time.
    I don't really know my flatmates and I don't really feel comfortable asking them. My family don't know I have this problem yet. and I think they would forget regularly to remind me, they are like that.

I wake up when the alarm goes off, but then just feel like the lecture isn't important or that I am tooo tired to wake up so I just sleep again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moment of truth)
    I don't really know my flatmates and I don't really feel comfortable asking them. My family don't know I have this problem yet. and I think they would forget regularly to remind me, they are like that.

I wake up when the alarm goes off, but then just feel like the lecture isn't important or that I am tooo tired to wake up so I just sleep again.
    Just put a sign on your door asking if anyone's around at 9am/whatever time then for them to please give you a knock? You need to break out of this cycle and it'll be way easier with other people's help.

ReputationRep:
    Just put a sign on your door asking if anyone's around at 9am/whatever time then for them to please give you a knock? You need to break out of this cycle and it'll be way easier with other people's help.
    I'll think about it, still don't feel comfortable doing it at the moment but this feeling may change.

EDIT: Thank you for all your help! :hugs:

Today has been a better day. Today I am over him. Today I'm no longer unable to stop thinking about an academic, sarcastic, mean guy who's much older than me and whom I deserve better than.

ReputationRep:
    Could anyone who lives with you wake you up? Or if not that, get someone to phone repeatedly?

:hugs: I don't know about you, but I find doing something creative can help me feel better, or at least like I've not wasted the day.

Spoiler:
    Show
    :hugs: You don't deserve any of this stuff. I think I've said this before, but have you considered getting a mental health advocate, to take on some of the effort of getting appointments with the right people made etc.?
    Thanks for the suggestion, sadly I'm not creative at all :/ I don't even like baking. I went to get an appointment with a Councillor and even they can't see me for two weeks.

ReputationRep:
    Making plans to get a pet hamster, really hope my flatmate and landlord say yes

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by Odd socks)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Good luck, hope they do! I love animals

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Good luck, hope they do! I love animals
    Thanks me too, I always wanted to be a vet when I was younger. I've wanted a pet for ages but I'm allergic to cats and I'm just in a small flat just now

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What should I expect from an atos assessment?

Will they be rude?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nohomo)

Will they be rude?
    In my experience with this kind of assessment (I don't remember if I've had one with ATOS specifically) the assessors are perfectly nice, but that doesn't stop them slating your illness in their assessment. :no:

I'd strongly suggest reading up on the benefits you're trying to claim for, especially the system they use for assessing your needs. They will try and underestimate your problems, so it's important to keep things as specific and relevant as possible, to minimise their ability to do so.

ReputationRep:
    Oh crap I have another 6 hours to face before I can go to bed wanna go to bed now as I am sick to death of life

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

Will they be rude?
    Mine was perfectly nice and didn't slate my illness at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Odd socks)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    They are great I have a dwarf and two syrians atm If you want any help on what toys you need, how to do stuff on a budget, nutrition and such, just ask me any time

You had a syrian before didn't you iirc?

Will they be rude?
    They won't be rude, if anything they'll say that you're perfectly healthy and not even sick in the slightest, at least that's what they told me, and i think they tell most people that atm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meaty_man)
    They are great I have a dwarf and two syrians atm If you want any help on what toys you need, how to do stuff on a budget, nutrition and such, just ask me any time

You had a syrian before didn't you iirc?
    Thanks, that would be really good, it's been a while since I owned one

Yeah I did, he was awesome, really helped my MH :yep: I think I'm gonna end up buying all new stuff for it since my cage and accessories are at home though

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noodlzzz)
    Not trying to be rude but don't you have schizophrenia with lots of positive symptoms that would actually be tangible to the assessor?

I started with a schizophrenia diagnosis with mainly negative symptoms which they might mistake for me being "feckless".

Now I don't know if they think I'm schizophrenic but I have social phobia, autistic spectrum disorder and psychotic symptoms in my notes. Possibly clinical depression now too...my case seems a bit weak.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noodlzzz)
    I meant they're nice to your face, then slate your illness in their report (in my experience that is).

ReputationRep:
    I called a person and made an appointment to get my haircut tomorrow. Completely forgot how bad I am at phone calls had to hang up the first time because I panicked. So I called back off the landline so they wouldn't know it was the same person. Got asked who normally does my hair for me, like I have regular hair appointments. Still I got a last minute appointment so 20% discount (not that it makes a difference. My hair annoys my mother so much she's paying for it to be cut. Still an improvement on her behaviour last time of driving me to a hair place with no warning and staying there til it was done. Now I just need to show up at appointment and small talk for however long it takes them to cut my hair.

Packing for uni is going slowly. I swear half my clothes have disappeared. But I have a plan. Today all the clothes I am taking will be in one place by the time I go to bed. Tomorrow I shall do books and stuff and Friday is for baking cookies to bribe people into being friendly and last minute things I forgot.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 24, 2014
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.