The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Robbie242
is this old? It mentioned Blair

Yup, it's from several years ago. The DM doesn't even use that format any more.
Original post by im so academic
I did not get straight As, let alone 90%+. I know.

Hmm, well you can suprise yourself on results day. For example I thought I had completely failed C2 but ended up getting 100 UMS. I think like anyone who cares a great deal about their studies you are probably focusing on the negatives of what you did on papers and extrapolating that. I wouldn't write off your grades just yet, wait until tomorrow I imagine you'll do better than you think.

As for your post about Oxbridge, i think you are focussing far too much on the university and not on the subject. You say it's the holy grail of education but without sounding too corny, the holy grail is you. This is not "imsoacademic" but what you choose to make of your education. I go to a very big college and I'm part of a group of about 60 for people aiming for the top universities and about 10 have got into Oxbridge. Next year when you start applying, if you go to a very large school where many people apply to Oxbridge and other top universities, you will appreciate that there isn't a great deal of difference between those who get in and those who don't. You will be surprised at who gets a place and also who doesn't. At other top universities you will see the vast majority of people are very much passionate about their subject there is little difference between them and Oxbridge students in terms of intelligence, passion or anything to do with the individual.

I think if you are passionate about your subject, it doesn't matter if you study at Cambridge, UCL, Edinburgh etc. You will almost certainly be surrounded by a large number of people who care about their subject and education like you do. :smile:
Original post by zizza
Indulge me for a minute - I'm a confused parent! Why is it so important to find out grade boundaries when you don't know what marks you got in your exams?

Hello, I'm an anxious student, and I agree with you! But I suppose that, after being kept in the dark for so long, you crave any information you can lay your hands on.

PS: I'm only here because I can't sleep.
I knew chem was too hard! Damn

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by venenecinema
Yup, it's from several years ago. The DM doesn't even use that format any more.

Exactly what I was thinking, lots of scaremongering on this thread going on :lol:

I don't think this is relevant to us considering it refers to Tony Blair as being the PM
Reply 6366
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
Yh I know it's a horrible feeling :frown:, yh Physics Unit 1 on OCR and you?

Unit 1 and 2 Physics
Unit 1 and 2 Chemistry
Unit 1 and 2 Psychology
Plus coursework for Chemistry and Physics

You know
Not much
Original post by zizza
Indulge me for a minute - I'm a confused parent! Why is it so important to find out grade boundaries when you don't know what marks you got in your exams?

It tends to give an indication of the difficulty of the exam. If you came out of the exam thinking it went terribly and then the grade boundaries are low it shows other people struggled so you're likely to have done better than you thought :smile: (of course, the opposite can happen)
Original post by keromedic
I am pedantic :tongue:. That's cool. Is it true the Uni receive the results a little before you so you can also check your UCAS to see if your offer's been confirmed?

You can go on UCAS at about 8 am and find out whether the uni offer has been confirmed, so if your school doesn't open until later (Like mine, which isn't open until 10am) then you can find out whether you're into uni before getting A Level results.

STEP results are obviously a bit earlier than all of this as you get them at midnight. This is both a blessing and a curse because if you meet the STEP offer you can be fairly comfortable of having got your place but if you haven't then the night won't be enjoyable especially for near misses.
Original post by im so academic
1. They don't do my subject.
2. I am not going to a ****ing university, well, no, they're nerdy in a bad way. They're not intelligent and passionate like Oxbridgers. Many can't communicate their subject at Imperial. It has that reputation for a reason.

I'm gonna be blunt.

If what you're saying is right, then Oxbridge don't want you anyway. Imperial don't want you. You don't belong there if you're not intelligent enough anyway. Boohoo.

Now people work to get where they are, you've "seen" the error of your ways... Maybe you can resit and try again.

So what are your views on me? Many people think I'm for Oxbridge, but guess what, I'm not going to go for the bloody name. I'm actually thinking about YORK, does that make.me stupid and unintelligent and impassionate?
Whats going to happen then?
Are they going to be released tongiht or not? :frown:

Original post by Robbie242
Exactly what I was thinking, lots of scaremongering on this thread going on :lol:

Jealous people gonna jealous :rolleyes:
Reply 6373
am i the only person who did wjec exams o__O

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bunny96
Unit 1 and 2 Physics
Unit 1 and 2 Chemistry
Unit 1 and 2 Psychology
Plus coursework for Chemistry and Physics

You know
Not much

Is that OCR A for physics, or OCR advancing physics? And is chemistry Salters or the other one? I'm on Salters and advancing physics :redface:
Original post by zizza

Also, if it is a science or maths exam, it can give you a pretty good indication of what grade you got if you remember the paper well.
Original post by MathsNerd1
C3 surprised me as well as C4 and M1 however I was hoping FP2 and M2 to just be a little lower, I'll miss my second A* by 2 marks it seems :redface:

Yh C3 was the biggest surprise, as well as M1 and FP1. M1 was only slightly harder than normal and FP1 was standard apart from a 2 marker. I was hoping full UMS to be 70 in M2 but ah well, 2 marks or UMS?
Original post by iamsherlocked
I don't think this is relevant to us considering it refers to Tony Blair as being the PM
oh **** yeah you're right
Original post by cleverslacker
I think that it was published last year so irrelevant

http://www.stumbleupon.com/content/26O5j5
Original post by -maria
am i the only person who did wjec exams o__O

Posted from TSR Mobile

All mine WJEC :tongue:
Reply 6379
2:30 here in kenya. Going to bed. Fu@@
You edexcel.

Latest