The Commons Bar Mk VIII - MHoC Chat Thread Watch

This discussion is closed.
Mechie
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
Given that the SNP will need a majority again (though it's not quite as proportional as people think) the question as to whether the SNP will get another referendum really boils down to whether Westminster learns from their mistakes.
The Scottish parliament is fairly proportional. It's certainly a lot more proportional than Westminster. Here's a list of the major parties that got elected to the Scottish parliament:

Party Vote Share Seat share
SNP 44% 53%
Lab 26% 28%
Con 12% 11%
LD 5% 4%
Green 4% 2%

That's pretty damn good if you ask me. Certainly a lot more proportional than Westminster! In other words, for there to be another referendum on independence in the future, the SNP will have to get around 45% of the vote again. To put this into context, the massive '97 Labour landslide was achieved with 42.3% of the vote, the win for the SNP was a landslide in 2011. They'd need another landslide for another referendum.

Also, I can't see Westminster learning from their mistakes. Let's be honest, the Westminster parties don't really want to give powers to Scotland. They only came out with this when the polls narrowed, and it is almost palpable when they speak that they don't want to cede any powers for Scotland, and I think this is a pathetic attempt to win a few more "no" votes. The people of Scotland want more powers, that much is clear, and the only way to get that is to vote yes to independence.

If there's a no vote I can see us getting hammered by the extra powers. They'll offer more income tax powers (because that's pretty much all they're lukewarmly offering, and other minor stuff) then cut our budget (as multiple government and Tory people have said they want to look at scrapping the Barnett formula) and say that if we want to keep the same level of services we can raise tax. This can only be badly, raising lower rates of income tax isn't exactly a politically sensible thing to do, and I feel that it will only lead to worse conditions for the people of Scotland.
Cryptographic
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Sounds like David Cameron had a barnstormer of a speech today, I may reconsider my opinion of him after it, however voting is all academical as my current MP is a muppet, as I have never intended voting for him.
Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-s...wales-29204076

Worth bearing in mind amidst the talk of devo-max.
Cryptographic
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by O133)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-s...wales-29204076

Worth bearing in mind amidst the talk of devo-max.
The whole situation is a shame, I'm an advocate for combing the NHSs and abolishing the Welsh Assembly, as it is currently being paid for by 'Community Services' money (NHS money in reality). Wales just seems to have gone further back under devolution.
username456717
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Think i might have to stand for Speaker next time an election comes up.
Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Cryptographic)
The whole situation is a shame, I'm an advocate for combing the NHSs and abolishing the Welsh Assembly, as it is currently being paid for by 'Community Services' money (NHS money in reality). Wales just seems to have gone further back under devolution.
PRSOM

Might release a bill next term.
tehFrance
Badges: 15
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by nebelbon)
Why?
username456717
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by tehFrance)
Why?
Practice makes perfect.
tehFrance
Report 4 years ago
Practice makes perfect.
You want to practice at being speaker? Okay :lolwut:
username456717
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You want to practice at being speaker? Okay :lolwut:
No, you've got the wrong end of the stick.
adam9317
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
This would be funny, and you would receive my vote!
tehFrance
Report 4 years ago
No, you've got the wrong end of the stick.
I wonder why... Stop talking in damn riddles.
username456717
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I wonder why... Stop talking in damn riddles.
Get back to me when/if you have an idea or just forget about it for now.
MacDaddi
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Cryptographic)
Sounds like David Cameron had a barnstormer of a speech today, I may reconsider my opinion of him after it, however voting is all academical as my current MP is a muppet, as I have never intended voting for him.
I'm guessing barnstormer is a good thing ahaha?
Cryptographic
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by MacDaddi)
I'm guessing barnstormer is a good thing ahaha?
Yep apparently he made a better emotional case in a few hours than BT has in the past three years. The Trafalgar Square thing tonight also went quite well. Between 5-10k, which is decent considering that it was only thought up 3 days ago.
St. Brynjar
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
That would be almost as ludicrous as TMD running for Secretary General of the MUN. Oh wait...
St. Brynjar
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
That would be almost as ludicrous as TMD running for Secretary General of the MUN. Oh wait...
username456717
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by St. Brynjar)
Haha. I don't think it would be that bad.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by St. Brynjar)
Have to say that really damaged my opinion of votes on here. Just imagine President Dupe.
username456717
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
Have to say that really damaged my opinion of votes on here. Just imagine President Dupe.
The current speaker used dupes before...

Posted from TSR Mobile
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (52)
28.26%
No - I got the required grades (109)
59.24%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (23)
12.5%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise