Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by sr90)
    Bit harsh on Rodgers there, he's only 41.
    That was actually quite funny. Credit where it's due.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by So Instinct)
    That's the lemon I know.
    Brah no need to be bitter. Just win Europa and knock Arsenal out of CL when they come 4th.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IceJJFish(II))
    Brah no need to be bitter. Just win Europa and knock Arsenal out of CL when they come 4th.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    They wouldnt knock Arsenal out of CL. If Liverpool win Europa then we'll have 5 English teams in the CL next season.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Bitter?

Think you're confused Stephanie.

ReputationRep:
    Bitter?

Think you're confused Stephanie.
    Tbh Europa is viable. Your squad is big enough to handle both competitions and there's enough quality. Also make top 6 and then even a double could be achievable.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Tbh Europa is viable. Your squad is big enough to handle both competitions and there's enough quality. Also make top 6 and then even a double could be achievable.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not sure how the conversation came to this, but k.

ReputationRep:
    Not sure how the conversation came to this, but k.
    I wanted to keep it relevant. I don't like the bullying nature of this forum. I am unfairly scapegoated.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I wanted to keep it relevant. I don't like the bullying nature of this forum. I am unfairly scapegoated.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    "Ncl".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr tim)
    https://twitter.com/Erin_ONeill_Xo/s...02646972633088

Borini ain't injured according to his GF.
    He's done well for himself

ReputationRep:
    So we have to beat Basel to progress.. we may be at home but they're doing well in their domestic league and we have to score which is proving difficult lately. You know they will just try to hit us on the counter too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    So we have to beat Basel to progress.. we may be at home but they're doing well in their domestic league and we have to score which is proving difficult lately. You know they will just try to hit us on the counter too.
    Is Rodgers likely to rest people for our game, or does nobody know what he's up to any more?

ReputationRep:
    Being honest, your very unlikely to go very far if you qualify.

Surely Liverpool fans would be happy to focus on the league and getting top 4 next season, due to the financial implications, not to mention issues with attracting top players etc, if you were to miss out.

If you had the choice of one or the other, even an unlikely CL semi final finish vs top 4 would be a no brainer? No? That said obviously you could get both or nether, it's just well known the CL can hamper league results.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samba)
    Is Rodgers likely to rest people for our game, or does nobody know what he's up to any more?
    I very much doubt he will rest. We have to win to progress and it's in our hands at home. Basel are a decent side but considering the amount of money spent on the squad, we should have a chance of beating them.

No doubt CL knock-out round was the target when we achieved CL football. It's Tuesday to Sunday so no real reason to rest players. We'll then rest in the League Cup before we face Arsenal the following week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hayles101)
    Being honest, your very unlikely to go very far if you qualify.

Surely Liverpool fans would be happy to focus on the league and getting top 4 next season, due to the financial implications, not to mention issues with attracting top players etc, if you were to miss out.

If you had the choice of one or the other, even an unlikely CL semi final finish vs top 4 would be a no brainer? No? That said obviously you could get both or nether, it's just well known the CL can hamper league results.
    If we lose, we're likely to end up in the Europa League and we're more likely to progress further there which would hinder our top 4 attempt.

I think we'd make more money by competing in the R16 than if we play 2-3 extra rounds of the EL.

I'm happy to get through the group, play the R16 and get knocked out and then focus on finshing top 4..

ReputationRep:
    Ideally it would be nice to beat Man Utd and Arsenal but the main thing is not to lose. If we draw then we haven't lost ground in the chase.

I'm still banking on Sturridge to get us over the line..

ReputationRep:
    If we lose, we're likely to end up in the Europa League and we're more likely to progress further there which would hinder our top 4 attempt.

I think we'd make more money by competing in the R16 than if we play 2-3 extra rounds of the EL.

I'm happy to get through the group, play the R16 and get knocked out and then focus on finshing top 4..
    I see. So does that mean, if things didn't go your way and you ended up 3rd, you'd rather you didn't progress in the Europa League?

Tbf now the winner gets a CL place, it's a pretty good incentive.

ReputationRep:
    I see. So does that mean, if things didn't go your way and you ended up 3rd, you'd rather you didn't progress in the Europa League?

Tbf now the winner gets a CL place, it's a pretty good incentive.
    No I think once you're in the EL, you have to try and win it now (like you say, CL spot on offer). We don't really have enough depth for it though I reckon. You have to get through 9 more games (4x two legged and 1 final) which is pretty tough on any side imo.

We're not that far off Arsenal and Man Utd so far, neither of whom look that convincing (though we don't either) so you kind of feel that 4th might not be that high a total? More towards 70 rather than 79 like last season.

ReputationRep:
    No I think once you're in the EL, you have to try and win it now (like you say, CL spot on offer). We don't really have enough depth for it though I reckon. You have to get through 9 more games (4x two legged and 1 final) which is pretty tough on any side imo.

We're not that far off Arsenal and Man Utd so far, neither of whom look that convincing (though we don't either) so you kind of feel that 4th might not be that high a total? More towards 70 rather than 79 like last season.
    I think that depends hugely on this next 8 days. If we win tomorrow night, then beat you at OT, the points difference would be 10 pts and you'd have to think it's likely your fighting with Arsenal and co for the last spot.

That said, football is unpredictable. And if we were to lose these next two games, then we could be within a point with all to play for.

We are also getting a lot of players back after a nightmare few months. You have Strurridge to come back, interesting to see how much of an impact that has, you'd expect an improvement yes, but will it be slight or will the difference be that of 3 pts rather than 1pt regularly for example, who knows.

Currently, at this very moment, the whole top 4, title thing is on a knife edge, will we win tomorrow, what will the result be next weekend, will Arsenal pick themselves up quickly, will Aguero be our for 3-4 months+, and is the Chelsea squad really is good as they think. One more bad result for them and suddenly they are looking unbelievably vulnerable.

By the start of January, after the heavy Christmas fixture list is over, I think we'll get a decent indication of where things are going. I suppose the window will also have an effect to.

ReputationRep:
    I think that depends hugely on this next 8 days. If we win tomorrow night, then beat you at OT, the points difference would be 10 pts and you'd have to think it's likely your fighting with Arsenal and co for the last spot.

That said, football is unpredictable. And if we were to lose these next two games, then we could be within a point with all to play for.

We are also getting a lot of players back after a nightmare few months. You have Strurridge to come back, interesting to see how much of an impact that has, you'd expect an improvement yes, but will it be slight or will the difference be that of 3 pts rather than 1pt regularly for example, who knows.

Currently, at this very moment, the whole top 4, title thing is on a knife edge, will we win tomorrow, what will the result be next weekend, will Arsenal pick themselves up quickly, will Aguero be our for 3-4 months+, and is the Chelsea squad really is good as they think. One more bad result for them and suddenly they are looking unbelievably vulnerable.

By the start of January, after the heavy Christmas fixture list is over, I think we'll get a decent indication of where things are going. I suppose the window will also have an effect to.
    Yea I'd agree. I mean if we lose to Man Utd and Arsenal then byebye top 4 and let's see if we can even finish top 7 :facepalm: Not winning yesterday was a bit of a kick in the teeth too.

I'm still not overly impressed with the Man Utd squad if I be honest. Still better than the Liverpool's I guess.

Chelsea and Man City will comfortably finish 1st and 2nd.

I don't think Chelsea or Man City will spend in January (or not significantly) but I can see Arsenal, Liverpool and Man Utd throwing money to try and finish 3rd and 4th.

Yea after December everyone will have played each other once too so you get a good view of where people stand.

ReputationRep:
    Andy Caroll in 5 appearances has scored just as many goals as Balotelli (with 14 appearances) this season...

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: February 4, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.